Unknown drill round

MHillyard

Yep looks like an slr drill round

not sure why they put the indentations down the side, possibly for strenght as a normal round is full of charge and normally cycled once

Casing looks to long for 7.62 SLR, the indents were so that it could be recognised by feel that it was an inert drill round, sometimes they had red paint in the indents.

Not 100% certain, but it looks like a WWII German 7.92x57mm training/drill round to me:

http://www.ima-usa.com/mg-34-rare-model-s-7-92-x-57-mm-training-cartridge-german-ww2.html

The chrome plated/indented case design looks suspiciously British (and the projectile part looks more like the round-nosed Mauser).

So: BESA machine gun as used in Churchill tank?

Casing looks to long for 7.62 SLR, the indents were so that it could be recognised by feel that it was an inert drill round, sometimes they had red paint in the indents.

I'll second the indent comment from Richard.

Inert drill rounds are typically shiny silver now along with the indents so as to be even more noticeable (NATO 5.56mm). If the MOD had a variation for blank fire rounds compared to ball or tracer then the DVD 'A Soldiers Story' could have been for something less sadenning and prevent live and blank getting mixed up on the training area or range etc.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I am also inclined to think it german, a drill for sure. Intresting Bullet length and shape. I wonder if a live round would also be rounded? Case indentations to assist in identification at night or blind folded as part of a weapons lesson / test.

use of crimping is also worthy a mention

I am also inclined to think it german, a drill for sure. Intresting Bullet length and shape. I wonder if a live round would also be rounded? Case indentations to assist in identification at night or blind folded as part of a weapons lesson / test.

use of crimping is also worthy a mention

It seems as though the live rounds were pointed like a normal round. It was for the 7.92 Mauser. i am also told, unlike the british ones, that they would not have any paint or identification on them, just pure brass