There May be a Ferret added to the collection!

SDT16

Hi Guys!

I may be acquiring a Ferret here in the near future. Although I have driven a few, it's been a good 15+ yrs. I know working on them is cramped as with most armored vehicles, But what are the major issues with them? The things to look for when purchasing one? I have looked on the major parts dealers web sites. Power packs and gear boxes are available. Are there any mechanical parts that are tough to get or will bust the bank if your vehicle should need them? Like the hubs or drive assemblies at the end of the inner drive shafts. Sorry, don't know what they are called yet.

Here's the "Story" on the vehicle in question:

Guy Bought it as a toy. Drove it for a while. Says it ran Great but one day it just died as he was driving around the yard. He put more fuel in thinking he ran out. It cranked over like crazy, but wouldn't start. He couldn't find any redneck mechanic that would be willing to look at it, so, it has been sitting there in the same spot for many years now. He has finely decided to sell it.

Now it could be something as simple as a fuel pump or lack of spark, which would be great. But I am just concerned if the story isn't correct and there was a big Bang right before it quit that he forgot to mention! I'm not even sure if my friend and I will keep it but it seems like a good deal for what he is asking. Especially as it is fairly close to home all ready.

Thanks for any input!

I'll be seeing it in the next day or 2.

Sean

Sean,

Would you please update your profile so that we can see where in God's world you are located at?

Ferrets are a good reliable small piece of armour to own and drive. You have to start with a good base vehicle and improve from there.

One of the greatest joys is that unlike tracked armour you can go to local events on your own wheels and not need moving by transport. They are road legal just about anywhere.

There is lots of help around for them.

Robin

. Are there any mechanical parts that are tough to get or will bust the bank if your vehicle should need them? Like the hubs or drive assemblies at the end of the inner drive shafts. Sorry, don't know what they are called yet.

= tracta joints - the faces of these are where the wear occurs and once pitted you will get transmissions problems

these are hard to get but I don't know of anyone who has had to replace theirs yet given the relatively low mileage most people do - last time banister had them he did want to lot. As with most ferret parts the dealers who still stock them know the relative rarity and charge accordingly - the good days were 10 years ago when still was still being released by MOD, but its all out now so it now basic supply and demand driving prices

. Here's the "Story" on the vehicle in question:

Guy Bought it as a toy. Drove it for a while. Says it ran Great but one day it just died as he was driving around the yard. He put more fuel in thinking he ran out. It cranked over like crazy, but wouldn't start.

establish if this toy owner bothered to learn the correct fluids for the correct holes, put the wrong one in the fluid flywheel and that will quickly make a mess

that said your diagnostic sounds as good as anyother until you actually see the vehicle - expect seized brakes mind you if its been standing that long

Well there is one thing that comes to mind, if the Ferret is mechanically much the same as the Dingo that I worked on.

Anyone that bought it as a toy and didn't know it, then had it refuse to start, would surely have tried to tow start it before giving up. I remember that tow starting a Dingo was big no-no as it killed the Wilson preselector - can anyone confirm that the Ferret is the same?

I'd definitely be asking 'how many times did you try to tow start it' before parting with cash. Note that I said 'how many times', and not 'did you try to'

Gordon

Hi Sean

If its the right price I would go for it ! If you look hard enough most parts can generally be found - they just take a bit of digging up. The stowage bins are not easy to find now but as a last resort these could be fabricated.

Most heavy assemblies can be moved with a reasonable engine crane, and you will get used to the weight of things (as long as your back is up to it !) - There are all the manuals freely available , and lots of advice on here for free !

There is only a finite number of ferrets , and in the last 5 years I have seen a noted decline in the number of "projects" that are available. It can fit in a small garage, and will be very handy for shopping if law and order breaks down. I doubt if the values will ever go down too much , and I think eventually all the ferrets out there will be cherished by collectors and will make better prices.

In the UK , a "project" vehicle may cost around £2k - £3k, a good complete runner £5000 and a very good example above £7000 . Also as we are in the middle of a recession prices are bound to be a little supressed. Maybe a good time to buy?

It all depends on the price !

Thanks for the input guys!

First of all, my profile has been updated:-D

I will ask about the tow starting, but I don't think he tried that as he said it would turn over easily, just wouldn't start.

With that comment said about pull starting (which is a No No!), What is the correct free wheel pulling procedure to get it on a trailer then? Or just to pull it around to see if the brakes are seized or not.

My guess from memory, which isn't that good. Place pre-selector in Neutral, the "clutch" peddal when pressed should stay in the down position? Then put the forward/Reverse selector to Neutral. Hand Brake off.

Also, I'll ask about any maintenance he has done to see if he screwed any thing up.

I appreciate the advice!

Sean

I think you pretty much have the procedure to get it to roll correct, it's trying to tow start them that kicks the transmission into touch.

Gordon

PS, How's Mike Scholer down Florida way? Haven't heard of Mike for ages?

Well the Ferret has a new home! I arranged for a good friend of mine who has been wanting one, to be the happy new owner. We Picked her up yesterday. It was a little tricky getting it out of where she sat and then up on the trailer but we managed quite well.

Here is a pic of her..... I am sure Walter will start a thread as he starts her restoration.

photo.JPG

I will be asking questions during the process of getting her running - First I would like to get a copy of the records on this vehicle - the UN colors have me interested. Where do I request that info from? Thanks Walter

Hi

As a first step:

If there is still the data plate or hull number inside the vehicle (On the driver's right, where the hull slopes in to the roof) You can try the Bovington Tank Museum (assuming of course that the ferret served in the British Army).

Hi

As a first step:

If there is still the data plate or hull number inside the vehicle (On the driver's right, where the hull slopes in to the roof) You can try the Bovington Tank Museum (assuming of course that the ferret served in the British Army).

You're looking for this style plate of plate the vehicle number (01DC47) in this case should give you're British Army registration number. If this plate isn't in the vehicle you won't be able to find its history from Bovington Tank Museum. The hull number should also be under this plate (2840) in this case and should match the plate.

01dc47alloyplate.JPG

All is not lost if the plate has gone missing as you can rub the area above the drivers hatch or in the areas listed below. Matt (Toolman) might also be able to help as well.

Good luck and have fun with you're Ferret

ferret_common_markingsjpg.jpg