Battery Charger advice

I am looking for a new Battery Charger to replace my now very old model. It must be over 10 amps charging, preferably nearer 15 amps, and be able to charge 6 volt as well as 12 volt. Can anyone recommend a make/model I should go for and where to get one at a reasonable price?

Many thanks.

Rob, Make sure you get a modern pulse charger - they are excellent at keeping batteries good and can revive old ones. I have got a 'Ring' from Halfords and I think the top model does 6 or 12 volt. Certainly it is up to your amp requirements.

I paid about £50 for mine and I think the better one is about £80. Someone will google it in a minute.

Dave

I agree, the small pulsating chargers work great!

Haven't tried a Ring one but I have a couple of C-Tek (or Ctech or something), ones. They do well maintaining the batteries on my lesser-used vehicles!!

They work well on larger batteries in excess of their current range as well. The battery has to be fairly well charged first for the largest batteries to be conditioned, the wee units go into meltdown if not........

Thumbs up!

Alec.

I collected my Ring charger today, 6 / 12 volts Model RCB312 cost £44.00 I have a 12v gel battery that I use for shows, I have not been able to charge it on my other chargers, I clipped the Ring charger on this afternoon, the battery was fully charged in about 3 or 4 hours........ I am very pleased with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have bought the larger pulse charger today, I have started to use it immediately, I have got several batteries of varying sizes to try to sort out. All of this will probably take a couple of weeks or so, I will report the results then. This particular model is the RSC5 16 amp, marked up in the shop at £104.00 pounds, I got it discounted back to £73.00, so they are not cheap....... unless of course it does what they say that it will do, then its very good value..... fingers crossed.

(I have something like six or seven batteries that are in need of a little rejuvenation.)

I removed a large battery from one of my tractors quite a long time ago, its been lying around for some considerable time and is completely discharged...... we have put it on charge today, I will be absolutely staggered if this battery comes back to life........ I will of course let you know.

Ray, I've got a couple which appear to charge fine from a desperate state - but there is in fact very little reserve in them (bit like sulphating up I guess). They test ok with a quick dab of the resistance load tester, but when cranking for more than a few seconds will rapidly discharge, rendering them useless.:embarrassed:

Ray, I've got a couple which appear to charge fine from a desperate state - but there is in fact very little reserve in them (bit like sulphating up I guess). They test ok with a quick dab of the resistance load tester, but when cranking for more than a few seconds will rapidly discharge, rendering them useless.:embarrassed:

I agree with you, I have put this battery on a pulse charger, just checking the validity of these claims that the pulse charger works wonders, they are supposed to clear the build up of sulpher from the plates, but this will be a real test for those claims....... I`ll be back.

This thread is kind of split into long term and short term chargers.

For my money on the long term "maintenance" charging of batteries for extended periods of time, CTEK make the most effective units having the biggest spread of usages.

If you go on www.CTEK.com and select your user area you will see what is around.

Currently we are using what is available to us, which is 110v input 12v output with a disconect with a thumb screw affair on it. We hard wire the charging lines into the batteries and plumb the cables out to the drivers area and secure with P clips. Now here is the good part, the CTEK units come with a well made polarised quick disconect unit part way on the lines to the chargers. We extend the lines where required. We have also found that the ring terminals are not big enough and replace these and solder them into the lines.

So far we have a 436, Spartan, Sabre and Stormer on these units.

My only chagrin is that the North American importer does not bring in a 110v input 24v output unit a sold in some European countries.

Our cost is around $80 Cdn per unit.

Pictures show Sabre with deck off and disconnects just behind the driver and the other is the units themselves.

R

CTEK1.jpg

CTEK2.jpg