my fwdhar1 1943 project

desertman

well where do i start mmm , back in 2007 i found a fwdhar1 1943 ,well my freind sam new of it so went had a look and bought it 400 dallars cheap hey lol

too me it was a challenge a big one but never the less a challenge could i bring it back to life avery rare truck and loved the look of it Ive had studebaker 6x6 1945 cargo, gmc cargo that wasnt finished yet and 1945 dodge weapon carrier which i sold to get married big mistake on my part

back to the story so went to pick it up it live on a sugar cane farm not far from sams of course we made a vid of it sam has a m1a1 kenworth wrecker the big jigger of the wreckers 1945 i think and my other good friend ross we had a good day any way ,every time i looked at it i shook my head what have i got my self in for !!!!!!

it was stored at sams for 3 yrs than i decided time to start ,stripped it down to chassie and done some digging for parts , very little to be found ,like motor parts like new ****, are none ,well not that i could find well had a think mmmmm ,of course the truck had most ot the fitting on it and it was all there, just the motor was shagged, thinking thinking i know what i will do ?

put a diesel in and gear box the only that I will change the rust comes for free lol and most people said i was mad but of course iam not ,,,,, well some times anyway i.

of course as we all know we have the green fever and cant help it so i will start with the first pick when i got it and go from there i had a lot of picks but the computor got sick and lost them and didnt make back up ,any way here we go i reckon iam going to get some funny remarks but that is ok iam an aussie lol.

truck.bmp

truck.bmp

............... and 1945 dodge weapon carrier which i sold to get married big mistake on my part

I made that mistake 3 times :nut:

The piccies didn't work :(

I use two ways to shrink pictures for this forum:

- I post them on a yahoo group if you are in one. As yahoo groups automatically reduce the file sizes. Then copy them and delete from the yahoo group

- If using Microsoft outlook you can highlight pictures and email to yourself. As Microsoft Outlook reduces the file sizes, then I upload

Curious to see what this truck is as a search of fwdhar1 came up with nothing.

Your attachments download as photo's about 1/2" across, it may be worth re-saving them on your computer as 640 X 480 sized .jpg files and try them again....could I also suggest that you rename with a number (truck01.jpg truck02.jpg) to help with future uploads.

I look forward to seeing what your $400 dollars looks like!

The biggest users (ie had the majority) of FWD HAR-1 trucks in Australia were the RAAF's Airfield Construction Squadrons. They were configured as Dump trucks in Australia, and continued in use until the early to mid 1960s.

Suggest you might like to look for the remains of a RAAF registration, and/or any sign that a hoist was fitted to the chassis, with control levers in the cab.

Best of luck with the reno: long way to go, but it will be one of just a few when its finished.

Mike C

is this the one that use to be up here in lancashire ? ( ex john horner?)

No mate, this one has been owned by the same person since 1947 after being brought from a surplus sales. It was restored in the late 1990's early 2000's.

hi mike c yes it was a raaf truck i have the numbers on the bonnet and the the round thingos on the side of the cab yes where tippers and cargos they pulled the radar trailer down here in aussie yes and i dont think many survived because i have looked here some more picks.

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

well where do i start mmm , back in 2007 i found a fwdhar1 1943 ,well my freind sam new of it so went had a look and bought it 400 dallars cheap hey lol

too me it was a challenge a big one but never the less a challenge could i bring it back to life avery rare truck and loved the look of it Ive had studebaker 6x6 1945 cargo, gmc cargo that wasnt finished yet and 1945 dodge weapon carrier which i sold to get married big mistake on my part

back to the story so went to pick it up it live on a sugar cane farm not far from sams of course we made a vid of it sam has a m1a1 kenworth wrecker the big jigger of the wreckers 1945 i think and my other good friend ross we had a good day any way ,every time i looked at it i shook my head what have i got my self in for !!!!!!

it was stored at sams for 3 yrs than i decided time to start ,stripped it down to chassie and done some digging for parts , very little to be found ,like motor parts like new ****, are none ,well not that i could find well had a think mmmmm ,of course the truck had most ot the fitting on it and it was all there, just the motor was shagged, thinking thinking i know what i will do ?

put a diesel in and gear box the only that I will change the rust comes for free lol and most people said i was mad but of course iam not ,,,,, well some times anyway i.

of course as we all know we have the green fever and cant help it so i will start with the first pick when i got it and go from there i had a lot of picks but the computor got sick and lost them and didnt make back up ,any way here we go i reckon iam going to get some funny remarks but that is ok iam an aussie lol.

What was the big mistake?????? selling the Weapons carrier....... or getting married???????

hi fellers ,,,ok this is getting of the track a bit but i will put up some pics ,if you tell me what they were used for you win a dvd of of desertman fwdhar1 recovery dvd i will send it to you any where in the world ok ,it should be easy for you blokes.

the dvd is not bad you will c us going to pick it up ,pulling the cranes of didnt wont them and bring it back to sams place with the m1a1 kenworth wrecker ok

100_1453.jpg

100_1454.jpg

100_1455.jpg

100_1452.jpg

well big ray what do you think ? it wasnt selling the weapon carrier ,,,it was getting married only married for 3yrs and mate it was not good but its good now she left 3 weeks ago and now i can work on my project all the time and not 1 day a week ,hope that puts some light on the subject ,not all females are bad just the 1 i married she hated my truck.

Hello mate , nice project ! My guess is the tyres where used to carry extra fuel within them behind a tank ! Purely a guess as I seem to remember reading about this back in the mists of my youth ! A lot has passed through my mind since then I must add ! :D

7/10 Andy! You'd have got full marks had you remembered that I'd posted a photo of one for sale on here a year or so back :-D

Say - how about you send me the prize DVD when you've finished watching it :cool2:

trasporto-gasolio.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

7/10 Andy! You'd have got full marks had you remembered that I'd posted a photo of one for sale on here a year or so back :-D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53889[/ATTACH]

Say - how about you send me the prize DVD when you've finished watching it :cool2:

Hi Tony , I am losing my marbles at an alarming rate ! :nut: When I "eventually" finish Daisy a trailer like that could come in handy ! I dread to think how much they would cost to fill but would love to watch other peoples reactions on the forecourt as I filled them up ! :D

Actually, it's called a 'Rolling Fluid Transporter' (ie not just for fuel), and two were trialled in Australia during the 1960s. They were not adopted for service. Designed to be towed behind a GS truck, either singly or as a 'trailer train'. See my article in Army Motors several years ago for details of the transporters and their Australian trials (including images). Interesting that one has survived.

Desertman: what is the RAAF number of your HAR-1? I may have some details.

Mike C

Hi Desertman,

Apologies for not getting in touch sooner, great looking project that you've got coming on there. I started on the MV scene about 10 years ago with a Dodge WC51 and seem to remember you then on the ww2 dodge forum? Anyways seems we've run similar paths both with marriages and trucks as I finished restoring mine from the ground up just like you but several years ago. Although I've owned many different trucks over the past ten years my FWD HAR-1 will always be my favourite. I helped The American gentlemen with some odds and ends for his truck and if your need anything give me a shout as I broke up a few trucks whilst restoring my own.

regards

Ben

user1036_pic747_1234700753.jpg

Hey Desertman,

Yes, I've now found your thread. How about you pull a couple of pics off the DVD to post here so folks can see what the whole truck looked like. See, there are a few of them around. And those fuel tyres must be super-rare here down-under.

For those who haven't worked it out, Desertman, and myself (Sam aka kw573) live in eastern Australia. There was an RAAF roundel on the cab sides when we pick up the truck, it can be seen in the DVD.

Bye,

Sam.