What service parts were carried in WW2 on British tracked vehicles?

ajmac

Looking through the service schedule on the Loyd it is quite regular*, greasing, checking engine oil level etc. This got me thinking; what tools and service items would be carried in each vehicle, would they have carried engine oil in a can, grease gun, plugs, fan belts etc... If so, could someone post some photos of the wartime tools, cans, etc that I need to look out for at autojumbles etc...

*TD13825 states: Engine - Top up daily

Edited by ajmac

Alastair, you need to find the stowage sketches for the specific model you are doing, i.e TT or S&C. These will list all the stowage items and show their locations in the vehicle. They will not show you what they look like however.... The British operated tanks have vehicle pamphlets that do show all the items with drawings and often photographs of each part. Many of these are the same in lots of vehicles and probably in Loyd too so it should be possible to work it out from the stowage sketch.

It is surprising how much of this stuff turns up at autojumbles and is usually very cheap.

Thanks Adrian, I had a dig around and found a copy of the TT stowage sketch, but like you said I still don't know what anything looks like:

funnel oval 6"

Compressor junior no2

Jacking bar no3.mk1

Pow can 2 gallons

Machete

Adaptor oil funnel no1

Brass hand brush mk1

Dipstick

Tools, engine, special

2spark plugs

Inspection lamp

Cutters, wire, folding in frog

Camouflage net 25x12ft

Cooker no1

Oil can, 1 gallon

I was talking to an ex-Wartime REME Mechanic once and he said that most British vehicles only had a few of the tools they were supposed to carry. You were lucky if you had a third of the tools listed in the manual, but he was talking about soft-skin vehicles.

Alastair, here are some of the parts from your list.

Compressor, junior no.2 is the grease gun.

POW can is the standard WD 2 gallon can.

Machete, also called matchett with its scabbard. These turn up with dates from the 1930s to the 1980s!

Inspection lamp is the standard Lucas AFV lamp.

Wire cutters. Easy to find though clean frogs are harder.

The 'brass hand brush mk1' is most likely the 'Brush, hand, bass' as shown as no. 12 in the Cromwell tool picture.

p1010002.jpg

p1010001.jpg

bits.jpg

Sorry for butting in on this one Alastair.....

Adrian, what nomenclature is given to the brushes 6, 7, 8, 10 and 11 on your diagram? I have these shown in a diagram for the Daimler but they are described as 'Tank cleaning kit' and not identified individually. The parts list I have names them all with part nos but no diagram. It would be helpful if I could cross reference them!

Cheers

Paul

Adrian,

Many thanks for that. They are identical for the Daimler and most other afvs I would imagine. It might be useful to have the stores numbers, they are using your numbers:

6 Brush Cleaning Tank Sect. K. K.E. 0858

7 Brush Cleaning 12" Sect. LV6 M.T.I.-3573

8 Brush Cleaning 11.5" Sect. LV6 M.T.I.-3571

10 Brush Cleaning 11" Sect. LV6 M.T.I.-3569

11 Brush Flue 3' 10" Sect K. K.E. 0875

12 Brush Hand Bass Sect. K. K.E.0874

I have 7,8,10 and 12. I may have duplicates I'll have a look. Amazing how hard these are to find given how many must have been made both pre, during and post WW2.

Paul