Thoughts On Whether To Strip Down For The Winter

Vulture

Guys

A question for those less fortunate souls like myself who have to keep their vehicle outside.

With the bad weather encroaching upon us here in the UK, should I keep the canvas on the cargo body on my CCKW 352 over the winter, or should I back strip the body down to just the bare structure (removing canvas, ribbing and wooden sides/seating) ? (I have an old tent that completely covers the cab so I don't have a problem there)Your experience and thoughts would be appreciated.

Kind regards to all

Ian (aka Vulture)

Edited by Vulture
To correct formating

For £250 odd you can obtain a multi layer breathable cover designed for a motorhome -

http://www.royal-leisure.co.uk/category/Caravan/Caravan___Motorhome_Covers,b.html

Normal budget lightweight covers will flap around in the wind and soon put a shine on matt olive drab paintwork. The shape of these motorhome covers is fairly compatible with the GMC being spot on for width and height (over canvas the cover comes down almost to axle centreline), and with only a slight amount of loose bunching around the bonnet and wings. Select by length.

Edited by N.O.S.

If you are applying the proper preservative to the cotton duck then it should be fine.

Best thing you can do for any vehicle is drive it. Once or twice a month minimum. That keeps parts oiled and seals sealing. Idling might warm the oil, but does little for the rest of the mechanisms.

Plus a trip on the road would remove standing water/piled on snow and allow the tires to warm up and not take a set.

If you read the TM9 (you can download a free copy here: http://www.tm9-801.com/tm9-801/index.php ) there are some specific cold weather PMs you need to do, also there is a few paragraphs on long term storage that would be worth reading.

For £250 odd you can obtain a multi layer breathable cover designed for a motorhome - http://www.royal-leisure.co.uk/category/Caravan/Caravan___Motorhome_Covers,b.htmlNormal budget lightweight covers will flap around in the wind and soon put a shine on matt olive drab paintwork. The shape of these motorhome covers is fairly compatible with the GMC being spot on for width and height (over canvas the cover comes down almost to axle centreline), and with only a slight amount of loose bunching around the bonnet and wings. Select by length.
N.O.S.Great idea about the motorhome cover ! I shall look into this.CheersVulture

If you are applying the proper preservative to the cotton duck then it should be fine.Best thing you can do for any vehicle is drive it. Once or twice a month minimum. That keeps parts oiled and seals sealing. Idling might warm the oil, but does little for the rest of the mechanisms.Plus a trip on the road would remove standing water/piled on snow and allow the tires to warm up and not take a set.If you read the TM9 (you can download a free copy here: http://www.tm9-801.com/tm9-801/index.php ) there are some specific cold weather PMs you need to do, also there is a few paragraphs on long term storage that would be worth reading.
DeadlineThanks for your thoughts. Yes I intended to take the vehicle out at least twice a month, and give the TM9 a good read through. I want to try and avoid stuff seizing up if at all possible ! :-)Kind regardsVulture

I have had a breathable motorhome cover on the Dodge for about three years, looking very battered now, but still works. Like yours she was outside , but now has a purpose built hovel for the winter. I still put the cover on though.
TonyGood to hear from someone who has been using one. If you don't mind me asking, how onerous is it to put on and take off ? i.e. is it a two person job taking 15 minutes to put it on ? Kind regardsVulture

Absolute dream to put on! They are very light and have two zips. Can be done by one person easier with two. I'd suggest a sacrificail cheap plastic sheet over the top to keep the worst off. Mine has straps that go under the vehicle , there is some gap but it does allow air to circulate. It is also very soft so kind to paint. I don't bother to take the canvas off, the inside was dry regardless of what rain snow etc threw at it. Does ballon a bit in wind which is why the top sheet is useful.

I would say the GMC is a wee bit more of a struggle than Tony's Dodge due to height, but if you mark each lower corner so it at east goes on right way first time ( :blush: ) and use something like a long broom handle to work each side up onto and along the canvas, you can easliy cover the truck in 5 minutes. They really are light.

Best not to do it while there are small children within earshot though ( :angry ).

Tony and NOSThanks for your thoughts guys, using a motorhome cover really does sound a good idea. I shall contemplate over the coming month. I had thought about stripping the entire back down (see other thread on this topic about removing the metal and wooden side panels off the cargo bed, and storing them in the garage. This idea however has run into opposition from Mrs Vulture who has pointed out the small issue of a lack of storage space in the garage... (sigh)Vulture