Stormer track / idler joy

robin craig

• 3 weeks later...

A little while ago we received what we thought was the replacement idler arm from a UK supplier.

On Wednesday last we went to put everything back together only to find when making a side by side comparison that CVR(T) and Stormer don't share quite the same parts and the Stormer which is in my mind a Generation 2 is different.

The photo shows the old one on the right with a machined external surface with O ring, thse with an extra canny eye might notice that the bore of the hole is different.

We have taken the old and new to a couple of machine shops and found one that for about 3 hours of shop time can rework the part to be the same, so that is where I am off to today.

Thanks go to Mark at Green Machine Surplus who supplied the part in short order and has been a pleasure to deal with.

Arm should be back on Tuesday next week as they are a bit busy to do it today.

Robin

stormer idler arm.jpg

Hi Robin

Ah, brings back memories of `throwing` tracks on CVRT, sods law at night, in the rain on a boggy track on Soltau, Germany.

Seem to remember a quick way to `jump` them back on was to put one of the shackles (that came as part of the CES) over one of the horns of the track & slowly driving forward over it, thus reseating it.

Here`s to a Speedy solution

Steve

Thanks go to Mark at Green Machine Surplus who supplied the part in short order and has been a pleasure to deal with.

Arm should be back on Tuesday next week as they are a bit busy to do it today.

Robin

Ive had a few bits and pieces and manuals off mark in the past and he is a good guy - recommended...

Machine shop phone this afternoon while is was offset discing a field so could not tear away to go get it nor could I dispatch any wombles as casual labour has been let go for the winter and my opposite number is off playing Elmer Fud with Bambi.

Half the province evaporates come hunting season.

Oh well, Monday it is then.

R

Well,

We worked last night and with careful assembly all went back together well. A few glitches on the way were resolved, the yellow goo that was all over the fasteners had hardened and was going to cause issues, we softened it using an acetone bath for a few minutes and then brushed them clean.

We used gear oil in the assembly of the dog bone on the stub on the hull and then pumped grease into it as we swung it to get the grease around it, we found leaving the cap bolt off worked well until we got prodigous grease out, then put the cap bolt in.

We used Loctite thread goo on all the bolts and used Right Stuff gasket goo either side of the paper gasket.

New oil in the hub and plenty of spins to get the level right.

Once all assembled we used the string ling as per Kit Magazine's bulletin and had a nice straight set up.

Then it was time to pull the Stormer out of the shop on the A bars and bring the track in with the tractor and lay it out on the shop floor and back the vehicle back in over it. Attaching rope and pulling the slack forward in to the front drive sprocket and then draw the end down in front of the first road wheel.

On with the track clamp and draw the two ends close together. Before closing the gap we used an old tooth brush ground to fit to clean the hex bushings that the track pin sits in, once clean they were lubed. This eases assembly hugely.

Once the gap was closed the Mk1 eyeball and good light allows you to sight the two bushes so you can adjust them ever so slighlty for alignment. Then using the proper track tools we put the pin in and put the nuts on the end and torqued them.

After cleaning up the tools we then went to start the vehicle . . . . and click. Damn, she needs slaving.

So that is todays project as we were out of time last night.

R

So,

As is always the case a few roadblocks today. Woke up this morning feeling less than parade ready, so begged off work at home under a blanket and medicated liberally on the couch and went in to work for lunchtime.

First job was to get the BV206 out as slave vehicle, went out to the building it is in, someone has dropped the fabric overhead door hard and knackered the door, chain is off the sprocket and bottom bar is out of the track, the work never ends, oh well, not today. Anyway, as the finishing discs were in front of the BV206, it was get the tractor in and move the discs to another barn.

Slaved the Stormer, quite the process, two switches to complete the circuit using the slave point inside the back door, glad we did that a while ago.

She started and settled down, quite the dirty exhaust, if I do say so myself.

I let the vehicle idle while I bolted the track shroud back on.

Gingerly let the hand brake off and engaged first gear and gave gentle throttle and away she rolled. Did a number of test turns etc trying to see if anything was awry but all seems fine.

Then gave her a wash off, wind was cold, a snow squall blew through but didnt settle.

Then parked her back inside in the warm dry shop for the night.

We have some tin banging to finish and some minor details to sort out and bigger picture put comms inside.

Poor picture but here you go, she runs again, yippee.

Basic job done.

R

stormer track on.jpg

Edited by robin craig

Dear Andy,

Thanks for the comments about patience, I have found that if one waits patiently things resolve themselves in the end with a good result.

You must remember Andy that the military vehicles I work with are part of a collection that I try to maintain as a very small part of my work responsibility. We have over 500 acres that is an active farm undergoing a regeneration that we run plus we are responsible for property ie buildings that have tenants in them and we are building a new house for work as well. We are well busy.

The Wednesday night work nights are because it is the only way I can get someone in with skills to help me. Gerry, the chap who comes is a mechanic by trade and is first class. It is cash side work for him and he seems to enjoy it. We work well as a pair as he knows mechanical / electrical conventions and I provide all the support ie parts and grunt labour.

When we run into a problem it usuallly means a weeks delay at minimum, so we bounce on other projects.

I have a long list of work to be done on various vehicles that lies ahead that includes a fluid flywheel to be pulled, a J60 swap into a CVRT and a CVRW Fox turret to take off, to name some of the bigger jobs. Add to this the fact that some of the vehicles are 7 kilometers from the main shop and that recovery is sometimes needed. Add to that the fact that right now we are past the point of being able to do any serious work outside as it going below freezing most nights now and is pitch black by 5pm.

As this is "work" I do get compensated for the work but it still makes for some very long days.

Robin

Edited by robin craig