44 Ford Jeep 23 YH 35 Bonnet Number ?

Ian L

Firstly thanks to the guys at the RLC Museum at Deepcut for finding the record card relating to my 44 GPW, I had to wait 5 months but its worth it.

Question is what should the bonnet number be as I had worked it out from various books that a March 44 GPW would be 555???? but the record card says 'converted from 1500669' is this its correct bonnet number ?

Thanks Ian

Ian,

M1500669 was not your jeep's original census number. This number is from a group allocated to "rebuilt vehicles", where they have gone though a rebuild programme and lost their identity. This would have been during or shortly after the war.

Hi Richard any idea what its origional number might of been for March 44 ? would it of started off with M555 ?

P.S. I have put a post up for a QL so keep your ear to the ground please mate.

Thanks Ian

Hi Richard any idea what its origional number might of been for March 44 ? would it of started off with M555 ?

P.S. I have put a post up for a QL so keep your ear to the ground please mate.

Thanks Ian

Hi Ian,

There were two groups of numbers starting with 555 for jeeps,

M5557518 to 5558171 Ford GPW Contract no. S2275

M5558376 TO 5559875 Ford GPW / Willys MB No contract number, shown as ex-USA

Re. QL will keep an ear open.

Richard

Hi Ian,

There were two groups of numbers starting with 555 for jeeps,

M5557518 to 5558171 Ford GPW Contract no. S2275

M5558376 TO 5559875 Ford GPW / Willys MB No contract number, shown as ex-USA

Re. QL will keep an ear open.

Richard

Hi Richard

I took a guess at M5559161 for March 44 so looks like I'm not too far out.

Ian

British registrations were allocated in batches at the point of the order being placed. With US built lend lease vehicles, they were issued to the vehicle upon receipt so you cannot really date them in the same way as a US number.

I have seen pictures of later Shermans than mine but with a lower T number. They were probably lined up in a vehicle park and numbered as they sat!

• 4 years later...

Firstly thanks to the guys at the RLC Museum at Deepcut for finding the record card relating to my 44 GPW, I had to wait 5 months but its worth it.

Question is what should the bonnet number be as I had worked it out from various books that a March 44 GPW would be 555???? but the record card says 'converted from 1500669' is this its correct bonnet number ?

Thanks Ian

Hi Ian,

I tried to PM you with this but there is an error as it says your inbox is full, so will post here instead -

I spotted this topic about your jeep and its YH and M15 numbers. I run a Facebook group that logs and researches the jeep in British service, especially M15 rebuilds and the postwar use when the vehicles changed to ERM numbers.

We do this completely not for profit as vehicle enthusiasts. I see that you have your keycard, would you be willing to share it? Our group is 'WW2 Jeeps rebuilt by the British army' if you would like to join us. We are even starting to find some members vehicles in period photos now. My public flickr page is below where I log all keycards and photos that we find. Your input would be very much appreciated.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139397156@N06/

Nick

Hi Ian,

I tried to PM you with this but there is an error as it says your inbox is full, so will post here instead -

I spotted this topic about your jeep and its YH and M15 numbers. I run a Facebook group that logs and researches the jeep in British service, especially M15 rebuilds and the postwar use when the vehicles changed to ERM numbers.

We do this completely not for profit as vehicle enthusiasts. I see that you have your keycard, would you be willing to share it? Our group is 'WW2 Jeeps rebuilt by the British army' if you would like to join us. We are even starting to find some members vehicles in period photos now. My public flickr page is below where I log all keycards and photos that we find. Your input would be very much appreciated.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139397156@N06/

Nick

Hi Nick I've already joined your facebook group & posted some photos of my jeep just last week, I will post a photo of the Keycard over the weekend.

Regards Ian