Saddleworth (Yanks) Sunday

Had a good day here - was really good to see Berna, Simon and No Signals. Also think I bumped into Stormin who was looking for Rick but didnt have time to stop and chat so sorry for that.

Got a few pics which I'll try and post later.

Good points - convoy was good fun esp when we had the torrential downpour on all those poor souls in jeeps..! Atmosphere in the centre of Uppermill was great - crowds lining the route 4 deep. Was also entertaining when somebody took a worng turn (or was just going home ?) and everybody else followed - thankfully only light vehicles so all got turned round OK. Lightweight started getting a bit warm following those Scammells at 2mph - would have been very embarassing to have to stop in front of all those thousands of people..!

Points for improvement - the split across two sites really didn't seem to work, when I've been before it has all been centred on Churchill Fields which seemed much better (Council problems ?). The school site was all a bit disjointed and there didn't appear to be any vehicles on display, other than a couple of landys and jeeps in the car park. Definitely need a better programme for the day outlining when and where things will be happening.

Overall this weekend has really good potential as the crowds in town were massive and the atmosphere great but the venue and organisation could do with being better. Still happy I turned out though and the boys enjoyed it.

Cheers

Timbo

Superb show highlights for me was seeing Simon's militant towing the 5.5" Howitzer,& the only complete WW2 Scammell pioneer tank transporter in existence.See wheels & tracks issue 54.This is the only one with it's matching trailer carrying an unlikely load but was sold with the Russian BMP about 15 year's ago quality.Hat's off to the organiser's.

Stu

I too agree with the overall comments about this event...the crowds for Sundays convoy where huge with lots & lots of Camera's out....

I was in the 2nd half of the convoy when we split off...we where directed to do so by the police officer on the roundabout under the viaduct....they then stopped us near the gardencentre for 10 mins when it actually threw it down...Jeep driver in front of me didnt look impressed 1 bit....we then went through dobcross then Delph and then via castleshaw... seemed to be a planned split but cant be sure on that...and then joined up with the other vehicles at The Carriage House pub

Agree regarding the split locations... it didnt work as well as last few years (although i have only been a spectator in the past) but i beleive this was due to the planned work at Churchill playing fields...they where supposed to be having drainage layed over summer so wasnt expected to be available....given this planned work that has either been delayed or cancelled i think the organisers did as good a job as was possible

all in all an excellent event that i plan on attending as many times as it runs as its only about 3 miles away from me so it would be rude not to support it !

cheers

Mike

i went on sunday with my little lad jack, and eventually managed to park in town then walked down to the playing fields where it was held last year but no vehicles were there (must have been on the convoy) so i asked around and was told it was at the other end of town in the school so walked back through town and paid my £2 entry to find a few stalls and a handful of jeeps which was disappointing so i walked back down to the playing fields to find about 6 vehicles which had returned from the convoy but before i could walk over stormin called to meet up to collect some kit i'd arranged to buy (cheers norman) so it was back to town and in the van and off and that was that, hope it pans out better next year

rick

Great day out at Saddleworth, joined the end convoy as the last vehicle (my AFS Matchless motorcycle). Great ride through Uppermill with lost of crowds cheering us on. Left Uppermill, turned left and then everything came to a standstill, then the heavens opened, then surprised to find I was not last anymore - lots of jeeps pulled up behind me - did someone get lost? :D

Let's hope it's all back on in one place next year, not split either side of town.

Not sure the reason is down to drainage works planned on the Churchill fields. Someone mentioned the legalities of being able to charge an admission fee on there due to public rights of access. There are no such rights at the school so no problem with charging.

The school site was a bit awkward as everything was split up in small groups. The grassed camping area was no better drainage wise than Churchill fields.

Missed the convoy as we had just made it upto the school site by noon when it was about to start from Churchill fields. This meant no vehicles to be seen at the school.

On the plus side, two magnificient Pioneers, made my day!

Nice to meet Rick as well. Sure if everything was on one site we could have met up easier and had more time for a chat.

turns out the Pioneers ( at the front of the convoy ), were going home, and weren't doing the run, but no-one knew this and we patiently plodded along behind them at 2mph. I noticed that a police bike stopped the convoy behind me, and turned them around to do the proper route, we on the other hand were commited and without anywhere to turn the wagon and gun, ended up not doing the run and got to the pub 10 mins before eveyone else.

Great pictures Tim. It was great to see you and Simon at Saddleworth but unfortunately the other half had made plans to meet up with some of her friends unbeknown to me.... I hope it didn't make me appear unsociable. I have some pics but I am having trouble uploading them as usual.Glad you got a picture of Bernadette because I always forget to take one of her.

The event needs to be centralised like years previously though.