1944 Willys MB? Pictures Your thoughts?

senschu

ok ... the horn is wrong ...£100 for a new repro

Rad looks like a post war one ..££300++

the underseal looks clean ...newly applied ..what is it covering up..

inner windscreen shows rust ..new inner a good £200++

are the Data plates original ???

springs are non original ..

a good few general pics of the jeep would be good ..

EG Data tag on the chassis ..

the welding on the edge of the chassis for the crosseover tube under the rad, just to make sure its not a hotchkiss chassis ..

ken

A frame SN would be helpful.. The horn is possibly correct, I believe that very late jeeps had those flat type horns.

A later jeep (44/45) would have a rotary light switch. But you still have a firewall mounted fuel strainer, so its not that late of jeep.

Your carb is not a 536.

I don't see any huge issues. Congrats.

here's a couple of exterior ones

thanks for the help

senschu

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48774[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]48775[/ATTACH]

Hi Senschu, Jeeps are the most fun you can have with your trousers on !!!! if you like it and the price is right buy it mate and ignore the 'rivet counters'

Personaly I would rather own a WW2 Jeep with a few 50 year old wrong parts (Hotchkiss) than a 'script' Ford made up of mostly new 2011 parts.

Good luck Buddy

Its a wartime chain block.

The centre pressing on post war covers is larger and cam driven blocks didnt have the horizontal pressed rib. It also has the curved profile on the water pump housing which is wartime not postwar.

Even if it were a post war engine it really doesnt matter two hoots, its still a nice looking Jeep. Most Jeeps nowadays are salad Jeeps anyway, the main thing is theyre still going:-)

• 1 month later...

Personally I wouldn't give a monkies what the horn was ...nor the cylinder head ....nor the radiator ....nor the springs etc etc etc ..

Iit looks pretty good to me and to 99.999% of folk out there on the street it'll look just like what it is.... a very nice old WW2 Jeep....So!

if you like it... and you got the money in yer pocket and it's more or less the right price ,(and what you pay for her is entirely up to you to decide)............get on and buy it :D

As to the price .......I dunno..

.....anyone can have a stab at the old conundrum of

"what it's worth versus what is someone willing to pay....."

...Look on Milweb and elsewhere and you could be forgiven for assuming that anywhere between 8000 and 15000 grand is about right for a WW2 Jeep .....

.....but then again some folk seem to think the same prices apply to a Hotchkiss or anything else built anywhwere between 1946 and 1960 or thereabouts.....

.....myself I'd say anywhere between 6 and 10 grand for any such Jeep thats is tidy and running and it'd be a good un...and I guess most folk would say if you got her for that, then you had her 'cheap'........

Personally I wouldn't even entertain the vaguest notion of paying 12 or 14 grand for a Jeep but thats up to you of course......and..........what the hell do I know about it all anyways ! ! hahahaha!:D

Then don't advertise it as a WWII Jeep if it is not.

The biggest issue in not knowing what its made up of is the parts and maintenance. Need a new whatever, you buy one thinking you have a 44 Willys when in fact you don't. So that part either doesn't fit or doesn't work properly (distributors, oil pumps, cams, cranks, timing gear, transfer cases, electrical etc etc etc).

CJ2 are *based* on WWII jeeps, but have some differences once you start looking at internals.

Then don't advertise it as a WWII Jeep if it is not.

The biggest issue in not knowing what its made up of is the parts and maintenance. Need a new whatever, you buy one thinking you have a 44 Willys when in fact you don't. So that part either doesn't fit or doesn't work properly (distributors, oil pumps, cams, cranks, timing gear, transfer cases, electrical etc etc etc).

CJ2 are *based* on WWII jeeps, but have some differences once you start looking at internals.

yep yer right I can understand the maintenance issue could be a bit of a problem but not enough of a problem to stop me having it..........cos it's still a nice looking little truck....

.............and very, dependant on the price.....I'd have it anyways!:-D

I guess it all comes down to.. how 'fussy' you choose to be over whether it is actually a 'genuine' WW2 Jeep ?

.and....as it has been said, before many times on this forum..

........there are an awful lot of Jeeps out there that are not 'genuine' in that they're actually Hotchkiss Jeeps or CJ2s or whatever that have often been built long after the war was over......

but, that doesn't stop many many folk from displaying them around the country as a 'wartime Jeep' and...the main issue is.......it doesn't stop them enjoying owning a great little vehicle that still looks grand even if it isn't (ahem!).....'the real thing' :-)

I'd love to own a Jeep one day... but there'd need to be some serious lowering of the price before I'd be getting the lock off my wallet ! heheheh!

and sincere apologies.......

I didn't read all that closely how the guy was describing it...

fair enough..if the fella IS advertising it as a 'genuine WW2' then yes you're dead right......

..thats not on...but folks should always rememeber the saying 'buyer beware'...........

....but I'd still have it.....hahah!..

.............and about £3000 grand would seem fair to me !hahahahahah!:cool2:

(and PS: he could paint it pink and call it a disguised ex-SAS Sherman tank exactly as used in the Boer War for all I'd care at that price:D)

Also the market determines the price... if someone discovers a shipping container full of Sparton horns and sells them for $50 vs the repros (that sound nothing like an original) that sell for $200 that is a major loss of value or all the guys with the repro's.. they would be values at less than the $50 for the original.

Most repro parts are very high quality... but some things will never be made again (blocks, heads axles etc).