New Saracen starting problem

Hi everyone,

I've all but bought an Alvis Saracen APC however it needs to be running to get it up my field and I can't start it. It was last running about 18 months ago, however now it will only turn over and will not actually fire up. I think it might be the coil. Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone else had this problem in the past?

Cheers!

James S-Wright

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

I've all but bought an Alvis Saracen APC however it needs to be running to get it up my field and I can't start it. It was last running about 18 months ago, however now it will only turn over and will not actually fire up. I think it might be the coil. Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone else had this problem in the past?

Cheers!

James S-Wright

Hi James , before you start changing parts have you established that fuel is getting to carb ? Just undo the fuel pipe banjo on the carb and either crank the engine or use the hand primer on the pump ! Also my pig occasionally fails to get fuel past the float needle in the carb but a GENTLE tap near the banjo normally frees it off and then no problem until she's left for a long time again ! If you've got fuel ok next I'd check for a spark at the plugs with a spare plug earthed to the engine and cranked over ! Then check points and condenser etc. I hope this is some help and not teaching you to suck eggs ! :D

Hi James,

It matters not, whether you are in Cornwall or for that matter Alaska, your Saracen is not running ! As Andy says, check the petrol is through to the carb. I would bet that the contact points are dirty and need a rub through, it is a common problem when they have been standing.

regards, Richard

Hi to all,

Thank you for your answers to James S-W. This is Michael, James's father. My history is 16th/5th Lancers. my knowledge of armour is Centurion, Chieftain and Ferret.

The Saracen...... We have spent the day working with friends and have got as far as the engine turns over, so is not seezed. We have borrowed a coil from a APC 432 and the HT now sparks at the point of the coil outlet. Plugs are still to be checked also fuel supply. The usual hurried excitement excluded cronological checking, which will be done on our next visit.

What really puzzels me is the distributor. The manual we have at present shows two types of distributor with the usual points and condensor. The one we have... taking the top plate/cover off we are met with a carbon/plastic disc, remove this and you reach a red bakalite/plastic molding which you remove and you are then faced with HT wire. Looking to the bottom of the unit appears toggle bolts which appear to hold the main body to a thiner bottom body. I do not find anything like it in the manual. Can you help please.:cry:

Hi to all,

Thank you for your answers to James S-W. This is Michael, James's father. My history is 16th/5th Lancers. my knowledge of armour is Centurion, Chieftain and Ferret.

The Saracen...... We have spent the day working with friends and have got as far as the engine turns over, so is not seezed. We have borrowed a coil from a APC 432 and the HT now sparks at the point of the coil outlet. Plugs are still to be checked also fuel supply. The usual hurried excitement excluded cronological checking, which will be done on our next visit.

What really puzzels me is the distributor. The manual we have at present shows two types of distributor with the usual points and condensor. The one we have... taking the top plate/cover off we are met with a carbon/plastic disc, remove this and you reach a red bakalite/plastic molding which you remove and you are then faced with HT wire. Looking to the bottom of the unit appears toggle bolts which appear to hold the main body to a thiner bottom body. I do not find anything like it in the manual. Can you help please.:cry:

Hello Michael,

This is a similar distributor to what you would have seen in the Ferret, from your service days. you slacken the three toggle bolts at the base of the cap and lift off, this reveals the rotor arm, and points (two sets). Whatever you do, if adjusting the points, is NOT to touch the red painted screw on the baseplate.

regards, Richard

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much. That has helped me a great deal. Now have the confidence to proceed. Unfortunatly my Ferret days were as a commander so tended to leave it to my Drive or LAD boys. I had thought that I should go further with the toggles but did not want to cock things up for James. 18 yr olds and 65 yr old dads can be a little sticky. I am pleased he is taking this project on and only want to guide him an not take over. he's a good son but we do clash at times.

Thanks for your advice.:)

handbooks say 60Amp/h, I use 096 Batteries in mine, I think they fit Ford Transits, as regards rating, mine are 70 Amp/h, and it always starts, even after not being used for 3-4 months..... you are probably looking at £130 or so for a pair of new ones...:-D