U2 Spyplane and James May

ferrettkitt

I was based in Cyprus until last year and had the oppotunity to get a ride in the chase car that follows the U2 on take off and landing, I also spent time with the pilots in the crew room as they were getting ready for the flight. An awesome experience driving down the runway chasing the U2 at crazy speeds, I have some great video and photos but can't upload any at the moment as I'm away with work.

• 4 weeks later...
I was based in Cyprus until last year and had the oppotunity to get a ride in the chase car that follows the U2 on take off and landing, I also spent time with the pilots in the crew room as they were getting ready for the flight. An awesome experience driving down the runway chasing the U2 at crazy speeds, I have some great video and photos but can't upload any at the moment as I'm away with work.

Can you say anything about the functions that the chase cars provide ? I can understand them monitoring if anything is loose or to recover the outrigger wheels are they responsible for anything else ?