Russian Armour

antarmike

Diamond-T980_2.jpg

Am i looking at at a T34/85 being winched onto this Russian Daimond /T Rogers M19 combination?

And what use are the chocks doing there? The trailer can't pull forward, since the drawbar is coupled to the M20. Surley if anything where to move when winching the whole M19 combination would be dragged backward when the T34 is on the ground and starting to climb the ramps. Surely chocks behind the rear wheels of the M20 make more sense?

Is the winchman also the driver? Was this normal, or was it more normal to have a driver with foot over the clutch, and a separate winchman who could concentrate solely on what the winch was doing?

Edited by antarmike

Yes.

They may merely have been lifted from the deck and placed there in readiness for use after loading.

I understood the later M20 had external winch controls and were fitted with an air valve that operated the clutch from the winch position. This chap certainly looks like he has his foot on the clutch though!

The earlier vehicles had all the winch controls in the cab.

Diamond-T980_2.jpg

Am i looking at at a T34/85 being winched onto this Russian Daimond /T Rogers M19 combination?

And what use are the chocks doing there? The trailer can't pull forward, since the drawbar is coupled to the M20. Surley if anything where to move when winching the whole M19 combination would be dragged backward when the T34 is on the ground and starting to climb the ramps. Surely chocks behind the rear wheels of the M20 make more sense?

Is the winchman also the driver? Was this normal, or was it more normal to have a driver with foot over the clutch, and a separate winchman who could concentrate solely on what the winch was doing?

Those chocks dont look as if they were "just dropped off the trailer" they look to be strategically placed. Perhaps the Russian operators thought that they might be applying undue stresses to the "A" frame of the trailer. If we are to believe all that we are told (Indoctrination) most of the troops had a poor academic / technical background, so that may have been the thinking????............. of course it would not make the slightest difference, the same stresses would apply. You would need to (effectively) chock both the front of the trailer and the rear of the truck. I am not for one moment suggesting that the "A" frame would suffer any undue stresses when winching...... but then I am not Russian. (I am only kidding folks, its all meant to be light hearted.) :kissoncheek:

I would disagree, the far one is not even touching the tyre.

Thats not rocket science, if you put the chocks up to the tyres, and then start to winch the tank onto the trailer the very weight of the tank will pull the trailer back slightly before it hits the ramps, net result, a gap between the chocks and the tyres, I am only surprised that the gap is so small!!!!. My original comment was meant to be very light hearted, otherwise I could have the KGB after me.

Look at the trees, doesn't it look like they are pointing the T down hill, just a little, perhaps that it the reason for the chocks location.

Looking at the man standing in line with the rearmost wheel on the D/T he would appear not to be perpendicular, I suspect that the camera operator may have angled the camera slightly, just a thought, its all conjecture really. Most trees in an exposed area are subject to bending in the wind when sapplings, resulting in a slanting growth habbit.

Looking at the man standing in line with the rearmost wheel on the D/T he would appear not to be perpendicular, I suspect that the camera operator may have angled the camera slightly, just a thought, its all conjecture really. Most trees in an exposed area are subject to bending in the wind when sapplings, resulting in a slanting growth habbit.

No that is just Vodka at work.....

Ok, here's a theory:

It's on a bit of a hill.

They chocked in front of the trailer to stop it rolling downhill

They also chocked to the rear to stop the trailer from rolling toward the tank while winching.

As winching started, the trailer rolled back slightly and the rear chocks skidded until they found purchase on the ground.

When the tank left the ground (just before the photo) the trailer rolled back toward the front chocks slightly (it may even still be moving in the photo...)

Any good?

Ok, here's a theory:

It's on a bit of a hill.

They chocked in front of the trailer to stop it rolling downhill

They also chocked to the rear to stop the trailer from rolling toward the tank while winching.

As winching started, the trailer rolled back slightly and the rear chocks skidded until they found purchase on the ground.

When the tank left the ground (just before the photo) the trailer rolled back toward the front chocks slightly (it may even still be moving in the photo...)

Any good?

I can't see chocks at the rear of the trailer.

brings to mind an incident many years ago with the All Wheel Drive Club ..

following a trials event we're in the usual position of standing about the pits jawing and smoking before departing for home whilst watching a fella loading his old Series Landrover trialler onto a double axle car trailer pulled by a nice new-ish Shogun or Izuzu type vehicle...

the whole rig is pointing slightly downhill and as the trialler mounts the trailer, it does the expected thing and tips backwards sending the tow bar into the air...which....promptly lifts the rear wheels of the tow truck off the ground... and the whole lot sets off down the hill at a fair-ish lick before stopping abruptly in the side of a spectators car at the bottom of the field......

.......... oh the mirth.:-D..well..........we laughed .....the chap didn't though.

..nor did the fella who's car he hit.....didn't laugh at all to be honest :cool2: