432 road legal????

Firetrucker

I have been reading the many threads on this subject - its a tricky one.

Q: have the issues being faced by the 432 been addressed with the bulldog upgrade program?

yes its the main reason ie braking,and all modern army vehicles have to conform to c&u rules

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where were you measuring, there seems plenty of projections, did you measure over these? The width measurement of a vehicle has to be taken between two imaginary parallel, vertical planes that completely contain the vehicle. The only thing allowed to project beyond this is bulge in tyres due to loading, or load lashings, chains ratchet straps and the like. (and more commonly driving mirrors)

The Bulldog hull itself would have to be much narrower than 2.55m if when measured over all the visible projections the max overall width is still only 2.55m. I don't see that being the case.

Edited by antarmike

i towed a vehicle today for a guy who had one in his yard who dont drive it on the road but he told me if you put the tape measure in the right place it is well under 2.5m. He said you should measure from out side rubber on idler wheels. Fraid that stops all aguments dead and he was serious ???????

Oh by the way it used to be if any post boxes are fitted on a vehicle these are not included in the measurement does this still count

Edited by cosrec

i towed a vehicle today for a guy who had one in his yard who dont drive it on the road but he told me if you put the tape measure in the right place it is well under 2.5m. He said you should measure from out side rubber on idler wheels. Fraid that stops all aguments dead and he was serious ???????

Oh by the way it used to be if any post boxes are fitted on a vehicle these are not included in the measurement does this still count

Overall width Reg 3 Construction and Use Regulations " width means the distance between longitudinal planes passing through the Extreme lateral projecting points of a vehicle including all parts of the vehicle, any permitted receptacle which is strong enough for repeated use, and any fitting on or attached to the vehicle except

a) driving mirrors

b) Snow plough fitted to front

c) Bulge in tyres due to weight of the vehicle

d) Customs seals

e) Lamps or reflectors fitted in accordance with lighting regs

f) Side board lowered when stationary to load or unload

g) Any fitting or receptacle which does not increase the carrying capacity of the vehicle, but which allows it to be transferred to or from a railway vehicle by a locking device and carried on a railway vehicle by use of stanchions

h) Sheeting or other flexible means of covering or securing a load

i) Receptacle with external width not exceeding 2.55m

j) Empty receptacle which itself forms a load

k) A receptacle which contains an indivisible wide load

l) A receptacle manufactured before 30.10.85 not being a Marine Container

m)A permanent crane, special appliance or apparatus which does not increase the carrying capacity of the vehicle

n) Apparatus fitted to a bus to guide it by wheels bearing outwards provided it does not project more than 75mm beyond the side of the bus."

Post boxes (what ever you mean by that) are not apparently included.

A Bulldog does not appear to me to be legal width and is probably exempted width regulations by order of the Secretary of State, "for operational reasons"

You cannot use a width measurement method as described by this chap.

An army website lists Bulldog at 2.80m wide.

ww.army.mod.uk/equipment/fighting-vehicles/1478.aspx

Clearly the Mk3 is not within 2,55m!

http://www.armedforces-int.com/projects/fv430_series_bulldog_armoured_vehicle.html

http://www.military-today.com/apc/fv430_mk3_bulldog.htm

Edited by antarmike

I think I'm with Mike on this - basically the widest fixed points that are incapable of being removed for travel or adjustment.

I can see why you might use something other than the edge of the track for a tracked vehicle though, since many tracked vehicles can be fitted with tracks of varying width. You may well have a narrow road track which keeps the overall width under the limit, but when switched to wide cross-country tracks it would exceed it.

After a staff meeting at Beltring last weekend it has been decided that the thread/discussion is just going around in circles. The thread is now closed.

Members that own or are thinking of buying an FV432 or similar vehicle should satisfy themselves that the vehicles can be used legaly on the UK roads.

The opinions on this forum are just that, opinions.. if you have any doubt about the legality of any MV them you should take proper legal advice.

Any member bringing up the subject again will be directed to the numerous threads on the subject.