Chatham Historic Dockyard

In the end we decided to pay a visit to Chatham Docks on Thursday and stay pretty local to where were staying as the weather didn't look good for the day.

Although at first I thought it was pretty pricey when I had a look for information in advance we actually had a pretty good day out with there being plenty to keep you entertained during the day.

There were a number of interesting places to visit in the complex and I really enjoyed the tour of the HM Submarine Ocelot (wouldn't have been good to spend 12 weeks in those cramped conditions!).

In a way (I don't know why) I was quite shocked to see quite a number of land based military vehicles in one of the sections of the dock. It was good to see these though as I had never seen them before and can add them to my collection of photos, even though they aren't really positioned that well. Has anyone got any information about the Matador?

Below are a few pictures of the day out.

010.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

019-1.jpg

021.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

023.jpg

027.jpg

030.jpg

In a way (I don't know why) I was quite shocked to see quite a number of land based military vehicles in one of the sections of the dock. It was good to see these though as I had never seen them before and can add them to my collection of photos, even though they aren't really positioned that well. Has anyone got any information about the Matador?

I agree it's a good day out at Chatham, there is even a Tardis on site, okay a real police box.

The majority of the equipment in the photos is the 'large exhibits' and reserve collection of the nearby Royal Engineers Museum (also worth a visit as it's less than a mile away). It makes sense to use the spare room at the Dockyard, especially as it's under cover. I don't know if the RE Museum has any expansion plans, but there is not much room at their current site.

jch

I agree it's a good day out at Chatham, there is even a Tardis on site, okay a real police box.

The majority of the equipment in the photos is the 'large exhibits' and reserve collection of the nearby Royal Engineers Museum (also worth a visit as it's less than a mile away). It makes sense to use the spare room at the Dockyard, especially as it's under cover. I don't know if the RE Museum has any expansion plans, but there is not much room at their current site.

jch

Thanks for the extra information. Unfortunately we didn't have chance to visit the RE Museum as we were pushed for time - another one for the future!

You can buy a one for all ticket at most of the Chatham musuems, and the ticket for the Dockyard used to last a year. Did you visit the ropery? I must get in there soon, I want some synthtic hemp rope for a tow line on the Dodge.

Hi Tony. Yes that is correct the ticket still last's a year so always good to have in case we around the area again.

Yep sure did visit the ropery and we booked onto the guided tour as well which was very good. It was the first time that I had been so was really interesting to see and it's still in use today!

Should have added this picture as well of the 1/4 mile long ropery.

006.jpg

Told you it was worth a visit. I've been several times and keep seeing things I had missed before. I think the Matador, champ and Morris's belong to the Dockyard rather than the RE museum. The crane, LMD, Muir Hill etc are definitely RE kit as an extension to the rest of the museum.

I think the Ropery is the most fasinating, would love to have the back off that winding machine to find out how it works

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
add more

love the pics mate , esp the Jimmy ...........

Thanks mate! Just a shame I couldn't get a better shot of most of the vehicles.

Told you it was worth a visit. I've been several times and keep seeing things I had missed before. I think the Matador, champ and Morris's belong to the Dockyard rather than the RE museum. The crane, LMD, Muir Hill etc are definitely RE kit as an extension to the rest of the museum.

I think the Ropery is the most fasinating, would love to have the back off that winding machine to find out how it works

Yes thanks for the heads up! :-D Yep the ropery is a great place as you say, it's amazing that those machines that were being used all those years ago are still in operation today.

Edited by Smithy

great pics ,makes up for the fact that my camera battery went flat after 3 photos when I visited a couple of weeks back,we did not get into the ropery but enjoyed the wooden walls exhibition and will definitely have to return as the 5 hours we had was nowhere near enough time to visit the whole site

Nigel