vintage commercial tractor units

R Cubed

Anything AEC. AEC were the Rolls Royce of Commercial vehicles.

Forget Scammell... twenty years behind the times, Blacksmith engineering and Schoolboy designs.....

Weren't they both Leyland owned at the time period he's specified (60's 70's) so much of a muchness in terms of design and build quality, despite what may have gone before?

Anything AEC. AEC were the Rolls Royce of Commercial vehicles.

Forget Scammell... twenty years behind the times, Blacksmith engineering and Schoolboy designs.....

Errr dare I mention Foden !!!! What sort of engines suppose Cummins are good ? any opinion on gearboxes

Weren't they both Leyland owned at the time period he's specified (60's 70's) so much of a muchness in terms of design and build quality, despite what may have gone before?

Scammell went into Leyland in 1955 and AEC not until 1962. AEC retained autonomy of design and manufacture for some time, so in the 60's AEC were still Rolls Royce quality........

boring option would be an ERF A/B or C series, cummins and an eaton twin splitter (nice). Fibreglass cabs, plenty around so spares not to problematic.

If you're not too worried about it being british then consider volvo F88 (if you can find one) or scania (again if you can find one) compared to the creature comforts of say an atkinson from the same era you will see why our truck industry dissolved (a bit like their cabs)

If you are looking to pull any kind of load then it is likely to be something from the 70's era onwards when engine power started to pick up. AEC's had gained the Ergomatic cab by this time, another famous rot box, we've got umpteen of the things slowly disintegrating around the place! Dont forget there is the Leyland Marathon (the rustier big brother of the ergomatic range), I think they had the TL11/12 engines which were AEC based, the earlier 500 series "headless wonder" leyland engines are apparently best avoided although the one we've got has never given trouble.

One that does stick in my mind is the Beford, possibly KM? had the TK cab but with detroit 2 stroke engine. A local lowloader firm used to run one, the noise up the local highstreet was memorable! Not sure how well these 2strokers do on the emissions test though....

Scammell went into Leyland in 1955 and AEC not until 1962. AEC retained autonomy of design and manufacture for some time, so in the 60's AEC were still Rolls Royce quality........

And Layland nicked all of AECs best ideas and then shut down Southall, When were the last TL12s (turbocharged AEC AV760) made? was it the very late 80s or early 90?

Even the very last AECs were a class act, Shame Layland made them rush the v8 into production too early.

I suppose it was inevitable that eventually the gmc would not be big enough to carry Rosies weekend chardonay supplies

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My personal favourites have always being the three overseas brands Volvo Scania and Daf. All seemed more driver friendly (easier to drive more power) owner fiendly (more economy )than their British equivelents.

Draw back nowadays would be finding non rotton examples. I have noticed the seventys style cab as fitted to Daf 2800 etc is still in use with the Dutch army and Scania squarish style cabs as fitted to 110s etc are still produced new in Brazil.

Good runners of ERF b series still crop up

Even the very last AECs were a class act, Shame Layland made them rush the v8 into production too early.
Dad drove one of the AEC Mandator V8's on trial for Turner's of Soham and by all accounts it was a bit of a beast! Far ahead of anything else British at the time and more than a contender for the Scanias/Volvos which were starting to appear. They just weren't allowed the time to sort the reltively minor things which gave problems before the project was shelved. He reckons the engine was so powerful and the vibration so great that not many runs were completed without some part of the cab having to be bolted back on. I'm sure they would have sorted that too...:cheesy:

So long as it has one of these on the front you can't go too far wrong

Quality engineering standards maintained to the last, despite the best efforts of Leyland management. There is quite a few of them still to be found, and even the ergo cabs are still better looking than many others. Rusty ones can be repaired, and most routine parts are still readily available,

Badge compressed.jpg