Cracked Tyres !

Johnh

Question

I guess you will say 'that old chestnut again' however I can find threads on tyre protection etc but after my long road run from Andover the other weekend and finally got down to a full check of the REO we now have found cracks on the side walls on three of the tyres, The cracks don't go all round the rim, there are no blisters or gouges and one shows cracks in the tread valleys.

so can anyone point me in the direction of a tyre supplier up north ? also is it best to jack and chock until I can get replacements ? bang goes the idea of going to the local shows:cry:

well what a great start to my Military Vehicle ownership, I guess this means Bella is confined to the Museum until further notice Oh well you live and learn

There's a big difference between your tyres and some on a Defender! If you're worried about them, get someone to check them over and give you a verdict. I'm sure they are fine for the limited miles you're going to do.

At the end of the day, it's down to the Police or VOSA to prosecute you (if they are illegal) and a Magistrate to make the decision. One tyre firm might say they are legal, another illegal. Why don't you post some pictures on here so we can have a good look?

I've had to replace all 5 of my Defender tyres due to the MOT tester advising that they required changing due to age related cracks in the carcas.

This might prove useful.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/uk-tyre-law

I've been working on cars, and the occasional HGV including my Militant, and taking them for tests for 25 years. In all that time, I can't remember seeing a tyre (on a roadworty vehicle) with age related cracks in the "carcass" of a tyre. Usually by the time a tyre is that bad it's flat and won't hold air!

I've seen lots with cracks in the sidewalls, and some with cracks between the treads of the tyre. They can only be failed in a test if the tester can see the inner structure of the tyre. The tester is limited to using the testers approved tools, and can investigate cracks with them as he sees fit to assure himself of the tyres overall condition.

I can't remember when I've had a customer whose tyre structure has failed due to cracking. I've had several without any cracks which have de-laminated suddenly, leaving large patches of structure showing, but which haven't gone flat. I've had lots recently which have gone out of shape or with bulges, mostly caused by the dreadful condition of the roads. By far the most common problem with older tyres and rims, is either rusty rims puncturing the inner tube causing sudden de-flation, or the usual nails or other road debris doing the same from the outside. M.o.T testers can't check either of them!

Jules

I've been working on cars, and the occasional HGV including my Militant, and taking them for tests for 25 years. In all that time, I can't remember seeing a tyre (on a roadworty vehicle) with age related cracks in the "carcass" of a tyre. Usually by the time a tyre is that bad it's flat and won't hold air!

I've seen lots with cracks in the sidewalls, and some with cracks between the treads of the tyre. They can only be failed in a test if the tester can see the inner structure of the tyre. The tester is limited to using the testers approved tools, and can investigate cracks with them as he sees fit to assure himself of the tyres overall condition.

I can't remember when I've had a customer whose tyre structure has failed due to cracking. I've had several without any cracks which have de-laminated suddenly, leaving large patches of structure showing, but which haven't gone flat. I've had lots recently which have gone out of shape or with bulges, mostly caused by the dreadful condition of the roads. By far the most common problem with older tyres and rims, is either rusty rims puncturing the inner tube causing sudden de-flation, or the usual nails or other road debris doing the same from the outside. M.o.T testers can't check either of them!

Jules

The tyres were cracked. They were on for 12 years. They were XCL's and the cracks were a few mill deep. The guy said they needed replacing, so I bought 5 new tyres. Carcas meaning the sidewall and structure of the tyre in general.

exactly correct tony, andy the reason it was a advisory is no mention of tire perishing in mot testers handbook as a fail item,long as no cord showing .this thread started about cracked sidewalls ,not : should old tires be replaced thats a whole different kettle of fish:!

Wheres the fish and the kettle smiley thing ma jig :).

True it wasn't about old tyres I thought it was a similar issue and warranted attention being brought to it. When it comes down to it the police might have a different view if they saw a tyre with cracks on the side walls. And if said policeman or woman decided that it was an issue you might not be to impressed with the points on you're licence and the fine.

Edited by ferrettkitt
added more

There's a big difference between your tyres and some on a Defender! If you're worried about them, get someone to check them over and give you a verdict. I'm sure they are fine for the limited miles you're going to do.

The bloke from ATS said they wern't cracked all the way round the wall, if they were then risk of de-laminating, there are no bulges or blisters, he said he had seen worse on Buses round Doncaster !! I will have to take some pics and let you the 'jury' give your verdict !

still can't find the kettle and the flaming fish has gone awol:blush:

Well up to now ; British Rubber at Baildon can get them but can take up to 6 weeks to get hold of oh and cost one donor organ each, no reply from Marltrax as yet does anyone have any supplier info available ? :red:

Well up to now ; British Rubber at Baildon can get them but can take up to 6 weeks to get hold of oh and cost one donor organ each, no reply from Marltrax as yet does anyone have any supplier info available ? :red:

There is a guy called Mark Hutchings (I think that's his name) in Kent. He used to have a lot of Reo's. The other place you could try is here.

http://www.reomie.com/index.htm

talking of cracked tyres, i am desperate for 3 more 900 x 16 british track grip tyres for my Morris CS8, I have some good ones but I also have 3 quite worn, these are Dunlop Runflats.

My question is does anyone still re cut tyre treads like they used to ?, those old tyres are so thick that surely they could be re cut ? anyone still do it ?

Jules

Tyres can still be recut............................however I really dont think that Trac Grip can be recut

The HGV inspection manual says, under condition of tyres,

3. Check each tyre for:

a. Cuts - Reason for failure: a cut more than 25 mm long, or 10% of the section width of the tyre (whichever is greater) and deep enough to expose the ply or cords.

b. Lumps, bulges or tears - Reason for failure: a lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or part failure of the tyre structure (this includes any lifting of the tread rubber).

c. Exposed ply or cord - Reason for failure: exposed ply or cord.

Application notes say:

A tool can be used to check for exposed ply or cords provided care is taken that using the tool does not cause further damage. Exposed means visible to the naked eye or can be made visible by use of a probe. If during investigation, i.e. either by folding back rubber or opening a crack with a blunt instrument so as not to cause further damage, exposed ply or cord can be seen irrespective of size of cut the vehicle should fail under section c. If cords can be felt but not seen and the cut is more than 25 mm long or 10% of the section width the vehicle should fail under section a; if the cut is smaller than this pass and advise.

When I've taken vehicles for test I've always interpreted 'cuts' to include cracks, and I've been led to believe this is a correct interpretation.

As for recutting, I thought these days only tyres which are designed to be recut (marked on the sidewalls) should be?

Edited by Sean N