Where to put Lanc and Spit Control Panels on long-term loan?

N.O.S.

I've been asked by the widow of a friend who died recently to try to find a museum or charitable organisation which might be interested in displaying his two complete Control Panels - for a Lancaster and a Spitfire. They've been beautifully done using laser-cut panels, with only one or two replica instruments used to complete them. I believe there is also an engineers panel (Lancaster I'm guesing, will view soon).

Ideally a museum or charitable trust, where these panels can be enjoyed by visitors. East Anglia or near would be best but all suggestions considered.

If you can recommend a suitable recipient for them I'll glady pass the information to her.

By all accounts Duxford has more stuff than they know what to do with.

There are probably many smaller museums who would love to have something like that for displaying. The problem is finding them.

Did not realise there was one at Shoreham, despite going to the airshow.

You could always try Old Warden (Shuttleworth) most of their stuff is older but you never know.

Mike

Thanks for the comments so far. Yes she imediately thought of Duxford - I advised against it.

The problem is finding the RIGHT museum - for example Thorpe Abbots nearby is primarily USAAF.

Those Kent museums look top drawer, TonyB!

You may have a problem if there are any luminous instruments. British gauges came as luminous, flourescent or plain. The former contain radium and many museums have a zero radiation policy and will not accept anything like that.

East Kirkby's Lancaster is probably full of Radium already!!

Not to mention all the crash recovered relics!

Edited by antarmike

I can understand why the family would like to retain ownership,but if loaning to any museum I would be very cautious as should the museum close there is a very real risk of the panels being "lost". I'm pretty certain the Panton brothers at East Kirkby already have examples of Spit and Lanc panels in a display case.

Another suggestion would be the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum at Flixton?.

• 2 months later...

Sywell museum Northants? Few nice pieces there and I am sure they would appreciate these bits...

http://www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php

'The Museum is always pleased to receive details of crash sites or accept the donation of artefacts or items on loan - please contact us if you have something of interest. We're particularly interested in expanding our aviation book archive and any spare mannequins/dummies, aviation or wartime artefacts, models etc. '

Edited by Eaglehurst