Hello and Help ! I bought a Jeep.

Nickmow

I remeber MW's and K3's used up to the late '60's to move Jersey Royals in barrels to the harbour. All painted a light grey colour. There was still loads of kit about in bunkers as well, dirt cheap. Wish I knew then. French Fire Services used a lot of Hotchkiss and Dodges especially in forset areas. The Forign Legion also operated them in North Africa.

Ok few piccies of various bits and pieces.

Engine bay plate mounted infront of the radiator. With 04038 as Chassis number.

I wonder what the "KM" in a circle means ?

04038 on the Front Right Chassis rail just behind the bumper. French Army acceptance Chassis number ?

1491 stamped on the left side engine bay chassis member. Which is the French factory chassis Number ?

025055 above the rear spring mount, The French Army registration number ?

Le coquepite (I made that bit up :cheesy: ) Showing no Willys notch in the facing, bolted on steering bracket. Floor starter (out of shot but to the right of the accelerator pedal, Angled support frame etc.

Gun mount, de mounted, Plate on the bottom put on the right way round now protecting the exhaust and giving access to drain plugs. Wipers fixed. Lights all working.

Hopefully sending off the papers to the MVT in the morning, to start the registration process All I need now are tyres and shes good to go for MOT. Oh wait up. The bloody horn. It works but if I put the nut back on the steering wheel it closes the circuit and stays on ! Is there meant to be some sort of insulation in there ?. Ahh just thought, the indicators. Bit miffed to find the 6V relay in there, so got an off the shelf one from Halfords. No worky. Works with 6V one but way too fast, i.e. twice as fast as it should, any thoughts. Thanks for all the input so far guys, you have been a big help.

Nick

engine bay chassis plate.jpg

Le coqupite.jpg

Hothc chassis number.jpg

Army reg no.jpg

Army chassis number.jpg

Well it seems to be a Hotchkiss body, probably on a Willys chassis. Re the indicators, my Jeep is 24v. On its own, the indicators flash very fast, but connect up the trailer, and it's fine; so I'm guessing you just need more resistance in the circuit. Can you add another bulb, or a resistor hidden under the dash to increase the resistance?

Nice one Centurion...however its a 12V system. I tried some resistors in parallel but it made no difference. Tried an off the shelf Flasher unit from Halfords, which clunks once but no more flashing. Bit flumexed to be honest, worse thing is 25 years ago I was up to speed on all this sort of thing, seem to have forgotten. I think I will try another flasher unit first. Good news is I got the Horn fixed, just put some ptfe tape round the steering wheel nut thread, now I can toot away to my hearts content !:laugh:.

Nother question, the Hotchkiss air filter, Im assuming but is it meant to have oil in the bottom and if so is it just engine oil, only there was none in there. There is a fill line, which seems to indicate that air would have to get sucked through the oil first ??? is that right ?

Oh one more, forgive my ignorance, my headlights, they work but should they have have a dip and a main beam ? There is a foot switch but that just turn the lights off. I took the lights apart today but couldnt see two elements in there and its a 12v sealed beam unit.

Ive got more, no really I have and I will get a piccy of the chassis etc in the a.m.

thanks so much chaps, you have been really helpful and kind

Nick

Thanks, The grill seems to be quite new compared to other bits of the body work. Airfilter topped up with oil and engine purring away....well purring might be a bit optomisitc, I think Im going to have to go to work on tappets, Tyres are inbound any day now from that chap you put me onto. I think this is the best thing I have ever done (ish) :laugh:

Hi

having given your indicator problem a bit of thought (perhaps thats all I am capable of) Standard 12 volt indicator flasher units are in the main constructed to operate with 21 watt indicator bulbs. Most indicators added to jeeps are built into the front small blackout lights and probably do not have 21 watt bulbs fitted.

So your churning out power for 2 x 21 watt and it has to be disssapated somewhere if the bulbs are smaller than this so to do so they flash faster?

If this is right the answer could be to put higher watt bulbs in your indicators or fit a 12volt motorcycle flasher unit for 2 x 8 / 10 watt bulbs.I have seen these for sale in the vehicle wiring products catalogue and possibly on their web site at http://www.vehicleproducts.co.uk

Of course not being a vehicle electrician this could all be b******ks but the units are £4.47 plus vat and postage so it could be worth a shot and may eliminate the need to fit extra bulbs in the circuit to absorb the additional power.

Regards

Centurion

• 2 weeks later...

Solved !

Thanks Centurion, I had to dig deep and remember the precious little I knew about electrickery.

Your tip was the answer i.e. get a 12v 2 x 10w flasher unit, cost all of £1.50(EBAY) I guess I could of got higher watt bulbs as the ones fitted are 10w. I was dissproportianatly chuffed when the winkers where a winking.

Now next problem......no bugger told me the Left hand wheels had left hand threads on them !

How much straining did I do...then remembered Mr Vasey from engineering class in 1979.. Give em a tweak the other way. At which point I discovered I had spent an hour and a can of WD40 tightening the damn things. Anyway New tyres all now on and back to being chuffed.]

(Tyres came from John Grey, Greys autos as directed by Steve so big thanks for that)

Edited by Nickmow

• 1 month later...

An update,

1. Moved house

2. Now got big Garage and a workshop :-D

3. Started work on the Jeep again.....I say jeep, MVT have verified her as being born on 21st September 1955, so Elle et une M201 I think, certainly a mix of bits under the bonnet so to speak.

anyway Ive set about a fixing stuff to try and get through an MOT then onto registration.

A picture paints a thousand worms as they say.

First Job Headlights, off the shelf 5 3/4 inch units, fit just right and with some magnificent wire work...they work

Dip and main beam. Im going to tidy up the cabling now I know its a goer

Next onto the Brakes, I need to remind myself of stuff I think its a sign of age :nut:

Started off looking at the wonky Brake Pedal which lead to a whole string of problems surfacing and a decision to

replace the lot. Brake lines are all on, Just got a master cylinder to do....building up the courage for that one.

Replacement pipes are male-female, where as the old one had this brass double female adaptor inplace.

No wonder the Brake lights were a bit iffy ! methinks a bit of chopping and amalgamating tape are due !

A little Inspiration turns up on my driveway, I was put in touch with a local chap who is a friend of friend etc, Who very kindly came over chewed the fat and gave me oodles of very helpful advice and showed me his splendid ride, I am inspired ! :-D

Jeep Home 1.jpg

jeep home 2.jpg

jeep home 3.jpg

jeep home 4.jpg

jeep home 5.jpg

jeep home 6.jpg

jeep home 7.jpg

jeep home 8.jpg

jeep home 9.jpg

jeep home 10.jpg

jeep home 11.jpg

NB Jeep.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well, months later, MOT passed DVLA defeated and Movember Moustache in full Growth. Registration papers arrived Friday, Yesterday was damp, But today, Remembrance Sunday quite by co-incidence I got to drive the Jeep legally (swift edit...I should point out that I havn't actually driven it on the road at all so far ! legally or heaven forbid illegally lol ) on the road for the first time. Also gave me an excuse to dig out me old Irvin (not worn for some years now). Once round the block and again with my ever supportive lady. Big smiles and not a beat missed from the engine. Now have to think about the paintwork, maybe in the spring. For now here she is. :D (the Jeep not the Missus)

dscf1169k.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Nickmow

In my excitement yesterday, what I didnt do was say a heart felt thank you to all those who offered advice, help and answers to questions on this forum. Without which I would of been bumbling through the process. So a big thank you chaps, your a great bunch !

Nick