Sherman Grizzly on milweb

longydagun

longydagun

375,000 dollars for a Grizzly seems a rediculous price tag???

Seems fairly par for the course - obviously if one had the forsight to buy one in 1984-5 or in 1991 when the market bottomed, and kept it for 20 or so years then you would be very happy:D

I mean its the more common Grizzly after all :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
while i assume you mean that Grizzlies are possibly the most common Sherman type in exsistance today they aren't that common -or do you consider the late model bulged hull the most common type? the most common Grizzly is the applique hull model with the early carapace type the least common.

Anyone got an idea which Grizzly this is -there are at least 3 bulged hull Grizzlies in Calinornia Shop No. 125 143 and 166

Edited by steveo578
addition italics

I was told that since the USA started preventing US manufactured armour being imported, the value of grizzlies started to go up faster than a normal Sherman as they were made in Canada they can be imported. Since this one is already there it's a mute point...

Never mind the Grizzly, did you see the GAA for an M4A3. http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=56250&cat=8

...I nearly spilt my cup of tea. £10,000!

Edited by ajmac

Well in Europe the Grizzly seems much more common than say the m4a4 or a3 for example but maybe thats just my small spin on things?

and £10,000 for an engine! I mean imagine if you have just the bare hull and you're doing up the whole tank the cost would be astronomical!

£10,000 for an engine! I mean imagine if you have just the bare hull and you're doing up the whole tank the cost would be astronomical!

If you have a bare hull £10.000 for the engine is nothing compared to finding buying all the other parts .

if you can find a sherman engine for less than £10.000 at the moment then please feel free to share it with us in fact just p.m me might be a better idea as i'm sure the rest of the sherman owners on here would'nt be interested ;):)

just my 5 pence worth

Iain

Ian i think you missed my point im saying that over recent years there has been a huge rise in the of sherman tanks. Im not saying i can source parts for cheaper than advertised its just mere astonishment of how quickly they have risen in price

cheers

Al

i do agree that sherman prices whole or spares has gone up but this does reflect the market $375.000 is abit steep but as pointed out it is a pretty closed market in the states and if a collector wants one bad enough that will be the price that is paid or near as damn it .

i wonder what the next one in this countries price tag will be ?

Well Adrian jokes but at the minute it just seems to going up and up.

Having said that do things actually sell- as an example on Milweb -which does has a rep. for high prices - about 3months ago there was a Marmon Herrington Mk4 of sale as a part restored project for £10k. Currently what I assume is the same vehicle (I apologise now if I'm wrong) is marketed for offers in excess of £20k -so was the first ad. a ruse to test the water? or is it a case of wishful thinking:??? IMO if it didn't sell for £10k it's unlikely to go for £20k.

As to the grizzlies all three I mentioned previously were reported to me as available for sale back in 2001 and probably not by one dealer -so possibly a large ticket item traded around for speculative purposes perhaps:undecided:

Having said that do things actually sell- as an example on Milweb -which does has a rep. for high prices - about 3months ago there was a Marmon Herrington Mk4 of sale as a part restored project for £10k. Currently what I assume is the same vehicle (I apologise now if I'm wrong) is marketed for offers in excess of £20k -so was the first ad. a ruse to test the water? or is it a case of wishful thinking:??? IMO if it didn't sell for £10k it's unlikely to go for £20k.

different Marmon steve this is the one we sold 2 yrs ago ish

iain

sharky different Marmon steve this is the one we sold 2 yrs ago ish

Thanks for the clarification - Iain, as I said I apologise for the error.:)

The core of my argument remains 3months ago a complete partly restored project for £10k vis one for £20k now -either a case of huge inflation during a massive on going economic depression, but as economists say the price is what the market will bear.

Steve

I think that the current economic climate has to some extent contributed to the rise in prices. Due to the low interest rates some people have been looking for alternative places to invest there money for a better return. You only have to think back to the run on prices for 60s Jaguars particularly E Types, people were importing them from the USA and converting them to right hand drive to re-sell them. The price snowballed as the demand outstriped supply.

Partly through films like Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers interest over the last ten or so years has been focused on WW2 which is fueling the increases in the price of hardware from that period, with the iconic Sherman tank being at the top of the tree. As the supply of Shermans are limited the interest has spread to other hardware from the period with many people jumping on the bandwagon looking to make money. The price rises to me is a double edged sword, it is good that more from that period is being saved rather than scrapped but the investors are forcing up the prices making most hardware out of reach of the hobbiest.

Just my opinion :nut::nut::nut:

Steve...