Awful Items of British Army Clothing

wdbikemad

I got on all right with the old rat packs, even the biscuits AB were OK. I always carried a personal supply of salt, pepper, curry and chili powder which helped. The only thing I couldn't eat was chicken supreem, but I dont eat chicken anyway.

The boiled sweets were the best bit, especially the white ones, would have sold my soul for a bag of them, could eat them forever

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One dark night donkeys years ago.......err 1976? somewhere, cannot remember, I was settling down for the short night<br>under the front, adjacent to the axle, of a Bedford RL. I thought that I would make a brew of tea on the Hexamine burner.<br>In those days I took sugar in my tea, it was pitch black apart from the flame under the mess tin and so it came to pass in the cramped conditions that the white substance that I thought was sugar was in fact part of a Hexy block.<br>My tea ruined and curses into the night............Try it if you have a Hexy block, just for the fun!

Powdered tea? Christ I'd definitely be taking the redundancy. The compo tea was always nice and strong. The sight of a rich red brew being stirred up in a big dixie on a cold exercise always perked me up. A mug of that dished out with a corned dog sandwich, a couple of Woodbines and things always looked better.

Powdered tea? Christ I'd definitely be taking the redundancy. The compo tea was always nice and strong. The sight of a rich red brew being stirred up in a big dixie on a cold exercise always perked me up. A mug of that dished out with a corned dog sandwich, a couple of Woodbines and things always looked better.

Has to be said, when you are cold, wet, thoroughly p****d off with the whole game, and endex is not in sight a decent brew does improve things. Even if you've only got biscuits AB to dunk in it

Sorry Bazz, the bits I had left were carted off to Kent by my grandkids where, to my amazement it's all treated like the Dead Sea Scrolls now. The only thing I have left is my best shining brush from my polishing kit. The holdall is a green rubberised one with a long strap and a short one to go round your waist out in the field. On an FFR inspection, the holdall had to carry shaving soap and and brush, ordinary soap, one of those five shilling Gillette razors with spare blades, toothbrush and paste, KFS and hussif.

Bob, Your still alive. Thus proving that the Hexie Block, is healthier than Army Tea!..........:D

I remember giving the dunce in our unit a hexamine block intended for his burner and was going to ask him the next day if it had done the job.....

Before I got the chance he mentioned that the Kendal Mint Cake I'd given him was pretty tasteless but he'd eaten it anyway....:-|

• 3 weeks later...

Just been reading this thread with a wry smile on my face. Reference PT kit, I did a bit of a late career swap when I was in and found myself on a course with a bunch of kids (one of who's dad was in my previous squadron). They where a bit naughty so our course was ordered to parade for the weekly Wednesday PT session in issue PT kit ! :-D. So they very smartly turned up in theirs' and I had to dig through some boxes and find "mine". Formed up in 3 ranks all uniform and lovely apart from the slightly more mature herbert hiding at the back.....in Red (more pink now, and still with me P company number in faded cracked white on it) V neck t shirt, Shorts Enourmous, green socks folded down 3 times, and white blancoed Army road slappers. (Took me forever to find the white paste for them). Well they did say issue !. PTI was most sporting once he'd stopped howling and as I could run the ass of the little war dodgers he stood me down on the premis that I got him a beer in the mess that night. Reading about KF shirts Chinese fighting suits and all has had me chuckling for the last hour. !

For the record, I love Cheese Possessed, and compo sausages, and I swear on my hamsters life that I saw the RAF Compo Recipe Book for the 10 man boxes, the Liason det had it on their FFR and made use if I remember. Ooh its all coming out now. Nothing will ever compare to the field Kitchen the Crabs set up at West Freugh on now let me think Purple Warrior ? around 1988 ish, Unbelivable food those blue job slop jockeys where turning out, especially the cakes !

Edited by Nickmow