film of comparison test of Cromwell v M4

Nick Johns

eddy8men

nice clip, i'm glad the cromwell did well but then again it was built after the sherman so it's not surprising really,

6¾months:whistle: prototype by prototype 1st M4 -an M4A1 runnng at Aberdeen on 20-9-41 and Cromwell meteor engined prototype running at Farnbough on 19-3-42, 2 months before the A24 Cavalier turned up for its trials. so basically they were contemporaneous. Edited by steveo578

The long drawn out development period for the Cromwell perhaps tells why it was reasonably good and also why it's main gun (just like the Sherman) was a little out moded by the time it saw action in NW Europe. I've got a cromwell book for you to borrow rick, pm if want it, I'm afraid it got wet in Nigeria but it is still quite readable.

PS. Can't view the video, bloody apple!

ajmac

The long drawn out development period for the Cromwell perhaps tells why it was reasonably good

The Cromwell A27M was regarded as very good when it was tested at Farnborough in March 1942, the problem was the Rolls Royce Merlin was still the main British aircraft engine and the Liberty A27L was developed as an interim with the Meteor as a long term solution when faclitity could be developed.

The photo of the T184005 centaur is interesting is the gun a early 95mm howitzer? and if so it seems even shorter than expected.

LUCAS ENGLAND

Reminds me of the clip of the Panther vs Lee/Grant clip.larger road wheels have it.

Doesn't necessarily follow -the Churchill with almost a centipede of tiny road wheels, restricted suspension travel and far lower power/weight ratio would have taken that step without any problem. Many factors are relevant -not least but rarely mentioned are the design of the track -the relative position of the idler in relation to the nose of the tank and the loading-C of G etc

• 1 year later...

Hi, Just looking at this film, Is that not a Cavalier in the test?, the track looks to be Cavalier, but does anyone know the differnce between, Cavalier, Centaur and Cromwell track?, Cavalier track appears to be unique and the Centaur and Cromwell very similar in apperance.

Also anyone know were to get NOS Centurion wheels to make them into Centaur wheels?.

kevin.

There is no such thing as Cavalier track. All of the A24 and A27 series used the same track but there is an earlier style with more reliefs cast into the face of the spud. This style is more usually seen on Cavalier and Centaur simply because it is an earlier style.

The tank in question is clearly a Centaur, the rear hull on Cavalier is totally different as it was based on Crusader.

Regarding NOS wheels, I'm not sure if Hirsts still have any? They will be Chieftain rather than Cent those they are almost identical. It's a fair bit of work to convert them for Centaur. Making them fit is not too hard but they are quite a bit wider with a heavier flange.

Edited by Adrian Barrell

Thanks guys, I was unsure about that track, but yes clearly not a Cavalier tank. I will certainly look at converting the wheels, having machined Windsor wheels to make Carrier wheels before, a good finish can be achived on the rubber sides, I will cost up this conversion to see if it viable. Were the holes in the rubber for suspension 'give' or to aid cooling the tyre?, would like to try and replicate this on the converted wheels.

Any ideas on the adhesive process used to stick the rubber to the wheel?

I'm just pondering that there will come a time when you can't adapt other wheels. At that point we'll probably be getting rubber rings moulded or cutting them from sheet. I'd imagine you could use a press to get them on, but how to stick them there?

There is no problem with getting the wheels re-rubbered, other than the cost! originally they were moulded directly to the wheel, there is no seperate tyre as in Sherman.

This is still possible but needs a mould. The other method is to wrap the wheel with a rubber strip to build up the required thickness, this is then clamped and vulcanised and finally the new tyre is machined to the required profile.

Either method is several hundred pounds each wheel, there are twenty on a typical cruiser tank......

There is no problem with getting the wheels re-rubbered, other than the cost! originally they were moulded directly to the wheel, there is no seperate tyre as in Sherman.

This is still possible but needs a mould. The other method is to wrap the wheel with a rubber strip to build up the required thickness, this is then clamped and vulcanised and finally the new tyre is machined to the required profile.

Either method is several hundred pounds each wheel, there are twenty on a typical cruiser tank......

OK, that is rather expensive - thanks for the explanation :)