any one tell me more about this pic

sharky

It was just a hunch. The National Archives holds a medal record card for V. Mulley, Royal Signals for WW1, and the Royal Signals Museum does a figure of a mounted signaller, much like your pic. Can't tell you much about the uniform except the Signals cap badge changed in 1947 ? or about that time. No doubt there will be more info incoming on the uniform (then I will learn more as well!)

Was the regiment Yeomanary? The horse is hunter clipped which wasn't ususual for Army who normally clipped all out. Also the Bandolier is Leather. This began to be replaced in regular service during the early 1900's. Can you post a bigger picture?

The Royal Corp of signals didn't exist till 1920. Before that it was first 'The Telegraph Troop' then The Royal Engineer Signal Service'.

Edited by Tony B

Was the regiment Yeomanary? The horse is hunter clipped which wasn't ususual for Army who normally clipped all out. Also the Bandolier is Leather. This began to be replaced in regular service during the early 1900's. Can you post a bigger picture?

The Royal Corp of signals didn't exist till 1920. Before that it was first 'The Telegraph Troop' then The Royal Engineer Signal Service'.

Tony,

the pic is around 1919-1920 other than that i dont know what regiment my grandfather was with then, i do know he served in the signals out in waziristan in 1920.

I'll get my dad to send me the scans hopefully they will blow up clearer.

Paul,

the v mulley in the archives is there a date for him as i know he had a medal from the above mentioned conflict but he would of been to young to serve during the first world war.

Many thanks

Iain

Tony,

the pic is around 1919-1920 other than that i dont know what regiment my grandfather was with then, i do know he served in the signals out in waziristan in 1920.

I'll get my dad to send me the scans hopefully they will blow up clearer.

Paul,

the v mulley in the archives is there a date for him as i know he had a medal from the above mentioned conflict but he would of been to young to serve during the first world war.

Many thanks

Iain

Iain,

This from the National Archives;

1914-1920

Medal card of Mulley, V

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Signals 2311268 Signalman

Royal Signals 625803 Signalman

Indian Unattached List 2073 Signalman

Edited by Paul Drake

Can you get a better picture of the cap badge? If he was RCS then he must either have been transfered from a previous arm or just joined. He would have been in at the end of the donkey era. The man at the bottom is wearing a snake belt, so must be prior to the others.

Iain,

This from the National Archives;

1914-1920

Medal card of Mulley, V

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Signals 2311268 Signalman

Royal Signals 625803 Signalman

Indian Unattached List 2073 Signalman

many thanks paul i thought most of the records for that period were destroyed at kew during the blitz glad that one wasnt do you think there is any more imfo to be researched from the imfo above ?

Tony,

"Can you get a better picture of the cap badge?" hopefully sort that tonight

"If he was RCS then he must either have been transfered from a previous arm or just joined. He would have been in at the end of the donkey era" . can you explain why you think that and how do you mean donkey era ?

"The man at the bottom is wearing a snake belt, so must be prior to the others". i think the pic of charles at the end is early ww1

Cheers guys

Iain

Edited by sharky
pressed submit before reading

The 1920's were the end of the Cavalrey or 'Donkey Wallopers'. The RCS started to use vehicles and motrcycles for dispatch riders. At the time it was still really the Royal Navy who had developed usable wirless communication, including supporting Marconi. Even during the Great War most signal equipment was wired, telephone or Fuller phone, so physical movment of paper was essential (As an aside, the German Army called rapid oral orders by staff officers on the spot as 'Saddle Orders') By the 1920's motorised mobile wireles was starting to develop.

If your relative had been a regimental signaller, he would have worn his regimental badge. The RCL have a more startigic mission, providing signals for battalion and above.

The Modern Pentahlon is based on the skills a military dispatch rider would have needed to suced. The ability to take a horse cross country (Still beter than any vehicle) Pistol shooting and fencing to defenc himself, running cros country and swiming should he loose the horse.

The 1920's were the end of the Cavalrey or 'Donkey Wallopers'. The RCS started to use vehicles and motrcycles for dispatch riders. At the time it was still really the Royal Navy who had developed usable wirless communication, including supporting Marconi. Even during the Great War most signal equipment was wired, telephone or Fuller phone, so physical movment of paper was essential (As an aside, the German Army called rapid oral orders by staff officers on the spot as 'Saddle Orders') By the 1920's motorised mobile wireles was starting to develop.

If your relative had been a regimental signaller, he would have worn his regimental badge. The RCL have a more startigic mission, providing signals for battalion and above.

The Modern Pentahlon is based on the skills a military dispatch rider would have needed to suced. The ability to take a horse cross country (Still beter than any vehicle) Pistol shooting and fencing to defenc himself, running cros country and swiming should he loose the horse.

donkey wallopers i love it. makes sense then with the horse pic .i just looked at the pic (the 4.4mb one )the cap badge is as i can make out is ER in the centre surrounded by leaves.

cheers

Iain

These pics are of my grandad was wondering if any one could tell me anything about uniform etc

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42785[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42787[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42789[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42786[/ATTACH]

the last pic is of another relation of mine

Many thanks in advance

Iain

Hello Iain

Uniform is WW1 pattern woolen serge service dress (SD) jacket with SD cap, standard for other ranks (OR's).

Trousers are woolen riding breeches, again standard for mounted units.

Leather ammunition bandolier as already mentioned by someone, finished off with "ammo" boots probably with standard 32 studs per boot!

Other pic shows KD (kharki drill) hot climate uniform.

Hope this helps a bit

Colin

many thanks paul i thought most of the records for that period were destroyed at kew during the blitz glad that one wasnt do you think there is any more imfo to be researched from the imfo above ?

If this is indeed your relative, if you google The National Archives then look for medal record cards, there is a fee to have the whole thing printed. When you get into the medal record, put V as first name and Mulley as last name and select Army.

Regards,

Paul.