Foden and Bio Diesel

barrynevuk

:D If he can do his harvest on one tank of fuel then his harvest is very different from when I used to drive combines ..... used to put over 300 litres a day into the fuel tank ... on a long day it could be more .

Bio is going to cause problems for sure but if it stays at around B10 then it should be manageable ... it is shocking to see how some people manage (or not ) their bulk fuel tanks , often they have no water/ sediment filter on the outlet , the tank slopes forwards , the tank is a rusty old metal one with no cap on the breather , the hose is stored with the nozzle pointing upwards so rain water fills the hose , and some I see still fill up using a watering can or bucket :nut:

couple of years ago a customer through no fault of his own got water in the tank of his common rail engined tractor ... the repair bill was 10 K plus .

The WIF sensor on most fuel systems is just not good enough to pick up water contamination in the fuel before damage is done , I also now see more mechanical FIP problems than ever , and they are in the main on new machines .

:D If he can do his harvest on one tank of fuel then his harvest is very different from when I used to drive combines ..... used to put over 300 litres a day into the fuel tank ... on a long day it could be more .....

:D:D:D What he meant was that the combine could quite happily sit around till this year's harvest 'cos the tank was full of decent diesel - but he's not too keen to park it up after harvest until next year's harvest with biocrap diesel in it....

i'm going to have a go at it and see what happens, from the comments i think a small set up is the way ahead for me, that way i won't have to store the fuel for a long time before it gets used.

however i don't think it will be good in my van as i doubt modern engines with computers and sensors have the tolerance for something as crude as 100% bio so it'll go in the plant and when i get a tm or mj i'll put it in neat and run it like that without changing any fuel system components and see what happens (but i will carry a spare filter with me).

the thought of unlimited free fuel is a powerful lure for a tight arse like me.

eddy

• 3 weeks later...

A clarification on the usage of Bio Diesel in older vehicles

I've had a word with my mate yesterday (Chris) who makes Bio Diesel processing machines and he has said that it is possible to run an older vehicle on Bio Diesel. It would mean having the pump rebuilt with Viton seals.

A customer of his who bought one of machines is running a classic bus and he had is pump rebuilt with new viton seals. For him it meant that he could go to more shows with his Bus.

Why not just run it on filterd waste cooking oil? I'm running the landy on it and it loves it! Add some diesel in winter to help it fire up in the morning. I'm going to run the scammell on it too, It was built in 1950 and the quality of fuel back then was hit and miss to say the least. A biG old engine with a huge in line injector pump should have no worries on veg oil. This bio crap seems a waste of time if your running an old Compression ignition engine. Diesel is just the name for the fuel not the type of engine.

Why not just run it on filterd waste cooking oil? I'm running the landy on it and it loves it! Add some diesel in winter to help it fire up in the morning. I'm going to run the scammell on it too, It was built in 1950 and the quality of fuel back then was hit and miss to say the least. A biG old engine with a huge in line injector pump should have no worries on veg oil. This bio crap seems a waste of time if your running an old Compression ignition engine. Diesel is just the name for the fuel not the type of engine.

You could do just that plenty of people do. I have asked the person who makes the machines to join the forum whether he wants to or not....

Bio crap you can't get away from it its already been introduced into regular Diesel

You can currently get new veg at about 98p L whitch is a saving of around £40 per 100L.

But you have to pay tax on that if you use it and you're tank is dipped it will cost you £500 before you can drive again (£250 on the spot fine & £250 to send it away for testing). If you can't pay the initial £250 Customs and Exercise will seize you're vehicle and no doubt charge you recovery fees as well.

If you run 50% vegetable oil & 50% Diesel it will still smell like a mobile chip shop and I expect that the above might apply if you're caught out on the road.

Why do they allow Bio Diesel to be made at home (2500 litres personnel use) because the pollutants in the vegetable oil have been filtered out in the process of making the fuel.

If you check HM customs site under 4.2.1 exempt producers /users ,If you produce or youse less than 2,500L of * any biofuel or * any other fuel substitute or aditive , this takes in wast veg and new under biomas ,you need to keep records as discribed in 4.9.1 ,this only aplies to private youse. will just add had my van checked by HM customes on a spot check on fuel ,was runing 50/50 veg at the time and there was problem as long as it was private youse .

Edited by mogmaner

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

My local vintage bus company is using recycled bio fuel.

But isnt the bigger looming issue the sulphur one? I was in my local agricultural engineers yesterday and I noticed (but didn't read fully) some advertising for an additive to make up for the changes (and ensure warranty claims would still be met!!!) but as I was doing something else I didn't take a lot of notice.

So I think experience suggests that keeping an eye on fuel is important. I read somewhere else that increased ethanol in petrol is causing concern to users of that type of fuel due to misfiring, vaporisation and the fact that the fuel goes "off" quickly (ie much less than the old standard of 90 days). Thats just what my Dodge needs - another excuse to die at the traffic lights.

The push is to add more etahnol, justified by the official government report and advice that claims "there will be no carburetted engines in use after 2013"

Whoever wrote that clearly failed to look in my shed.........

That said no point in being paranoid. We all predicted that unleaded was going to be the end of the world and here we all are, keener and dafter than ever! I say give the veggie stuff a go, they are oil engines after all and anyway I love the smell of a fry up. Report back your experiences on here and lets do what the old vehicle fraternity do best - adapt and overcome.

One of the issues with vegetable oil/fuels is that they won't mix with mineral oils used for the engine lubrication, this is one of the reasons for the increased servicing required.

Many older stationary engines run on vegetable oil, but there is a fairly large processing/filtering overhead if you want your injection equipment and valves/rings to last.

If you have a large source of raw vegetable oils like a plantation in the far east then you can set up to process in bulk, and the old stationary engines of the day were far simpler in terms of combustion/injection pressures.

I'm not a big fan of vegetable oils in diesels and run my own engines that go to shows on road diesel.

Peter