new humber pig owner

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trying to start the engine soon :) cooling system is filled with water for the time being, oil will be changed, i'll supply fuel to the carb via a bottle fuel so just need to sort out the switchboard which is being the biggest problem and im not sure what to do. just remembered the humber is also missing a spark plug so im after one RSN 13P plug.

If i cant get hold of one ill have to replace all 6

trying to start the engine soon :) cooling system is filled with water for the time being, oil will be changed, i'll supply fuel to the carb via a bottle fuel so just need to sort out the switchboard which is being the biggest problem and im not sure what to do. just remembered the humber is also missing a spark plug so im after one RSN 13P plug.

If i cant get hold of one ill have to replace all 6

RSN 12Y can be used but you would need six

If you are one short, then fit just one be it a RSN13P or RSN12Y.

Either will work & they will do so in isolation. The plugs in the other cylinders aren't going to get the hump & work less efficiently because they know there is a different type plug working next door in another cylinder. :D

Although it is perhaps good advice to start off with 6 new plugs anyway. But they can be a mixture of the two types. I have seen many Pig engines directly out of service that have had a mixture fitted.

Richard it seems you are not going to get any definitive replies, so I'll put my head on the block to try to move things on for you.

There seem to be quite a number of these SRL14L plugs around & you can find many references in forums where people seem to have used them successfully in Rovers.

However I have never seen a formal statement in any parts books for Rover or Humber that they can or should be fitted. So I don't know for what vehicle they were primarily used.

SRL14X was fitted to Rovers 10 & 11

SRL14PC was originally fitted to Humbers as Plug, sparking, No.1 Mk 1

With Lodge plugs I don't know the significance of the suffixes X, PC & L.

This afternoon I had a rummage to see if I had a SRL14L, but could only find a SRL14PC

To me it looks very likely that it would do. But if I had one in my hand I would compare it with the more usual plugs used before fitting it. But I think certainly at this stage of just getting running at all it would be reasonable try it.

If you are in a real quandry & that is the only type advertised, I can sandblast a used RSN13P & post it to you.

Chris I managed to find some SRL14PC & SRL14P today. They certainly appear identical to each other & no there wasn't an omission of the final C as it was stamped SRL14P-

All of these (4 x SRL14PC & 2 x SRL14P) were date stamped. The ones I could read were 1955 & 1960 so I think they must have come from my FV1601.

Chris I managed to find some SRL14PC & SRL14P today. They certainly appear identical to each other & no there wasn't an omission of the final C as it was stamped SRL14P-

All of these (4 x SRL14PC & 2 x SRL14P) were date stamped. The ones I could read were 1955 & 1960 so I think they must have come from my FV1601.

I have some more SRL14Ls in the garage, I'll dig them out over the next few days and see what's written on them. I think some are in Land Rover boxes.

I have some more SRL14Ls in the garage, I'll dig them out over the next few days and see what's written on them. I think some are in Land Rover boxes.

Well if you show me yours, I'll show you mine!

I'll get some pics of both of my types & compare with yours. Would be nice to know the difference.

Well if you show me yours, I'll show you mine!

I'll get some pics of both of my types & compare with yours. Would be nice to know the difference.

Cive,

Some photos for you...

Firstly a Champion RSN12Y with an identity crisis..

Lodge SRL14L

Lodge SRL14L marked as RTC4732.

Chris

SAM_0086.JPG

SAM_0087.JPG

SAM_0088.JPG

SAM_0089.JPG

Adam in what respect did you find them better? Easier starting/more power/smoother running/more reliable/able to set the gap bigger? I don't have a particular angle on the subject, but just curious as I run RSN13P.

PS Super pics Chris thank you. I'll take some pics on Mon

this would be interesting to know aswell for future use. Update as ive been in france for the last week - ordered a no1 mk6 switchboard from marcus glenn as the one i had was beyond repair. Expensive at £140 but in the mean time i had finished sorting out a renault 5 id been given for free and sold it :)

plan is to wire switchboard in , replace oil and missing spark plug then feed her some petrol via bottle and fingers crossed it will start. but with the petrol i take it i cant use normal unleaded ? id need an additive ?

Richard yes swings & roundabouts. I think the new switchboard was a good move & will give reliability with peace of mind.

I don't bother with additives my mileage is low. A few people use them on the basis than fuel ain't what it was even at the time this RR bulletin was written. Anyway you can decide later once you've got it running.

Unleaded.jpg

Actually 13.6 litres. You may have difficulty getting SAE30 in a motor shop. That equates to the original spec to use OMD110. But this became obsolete in military service, so the last Pig Servicing Schedule quotes OMD80 which is SAE 10W/30.

I have a poor understanding of the properties of oils, others may be able to advise you better. But given the limited mileage you can cover on the island, it certainly seems very tempting to use what the Army did in the latter days of running these vehicles.