Nearly ready to paint

Viper Paul

Any recommendations regarding paint suppliers or shades, so far I have some samples from Frank Burbery Paints and quite fancy the Olive Drab in satin as the old girl lives outside, this would reduce the effects of the weather and the birds.

I seem to remember from the past that the early shade was lighter than the later post 42 ???

Sorry was in a hurry yesterday, but as I am in the American forum WWII and mention 1942 the vehicle matters little, unless you include USN, but yes its a 1942 hard cab GMC

Always a pleasure when you join a forum and someone needs to slap you around.

To those that could help I would appreciate it, but its no problem to take my trouble elseware.

Sorry was in a hurry yesterday, but as I am in the American forum WWII and mention 1942 the vehicle matters little, unless you include USN, but yes its a 1942 hard cab GMC

Always a pleasure when you join a forum and someone needs to slap you around.

To those that could help I would appreciate it, but its no problem to take my trouble elseware.

I'm sure Chris didn't mean it that way - I didn't know what you were painting either!

On looking I can now see that you've posted it in the American forum, but to those just viewing "New Posts" it isn't entirely obvious ... :undecided:

Andy

SOme paint info is here:

http://www.armyjeepparts.com click on GCI paint

AJP WWII SEMI-GLOSS, Late 1944 thru 1957

trans_spacer_1.gifA true O.D., AJP had this color matched from

trans_spacer_1.gifearly NOS parts. Most representative of what a jeep

trans_spacer_1.gifwas painted.This is our most popular color.

trans_spacer_1.gifLate 44' thru 45' MB's

trans_spacer_1.gifM38, M38A1, M170, M-37

trans_spacer_1.gifPlus all Korean equipment

319 WWII, LUSTERLESS / FLAT 1941-1944

trans_spacer_1.gifLight O.D.

trans_spacer_1.gifMB

AJP%20Paint%20swatch%20clean%2003.jpg

I used 319 on my jeep and it looks like every other jeep I see. All army vehicles would have used the same paint specs, so iff it works for a jeep, it works for a CCKW/M4 etc

Any recommendations regarding paint suppliers or shades, so far I have some samples from Frank Burbery Paints and quite fancy the Olive Drab in satin as the old girl lives outside, this would reduce the effects of the weather and the birds.

I seem to remember from the past that the early shade was lighter than the later post 42 ???

Birds r expensive ask em to keep there high heels off the paint and you will be fine:angel:

Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum!

Good to hear that your restoration project is coming along well. Im restoring a Bedford TM and im nearly at the same stage as you.

I can recommend Frank Burberry Paints..ive just bought 10 litres of Nato Satin Green and its a really good colour and it applies well with a nice finish. Very reasonably priced as well and was delivered overnight.

Hope this helps..i know how much of a big decision paint choice is!!

Look forward to seeing some pics.

Andy.

If you think that was a slap, just stick around.....;)

:rofl::rofl::banana:

Hi Paul, I think you've got it about right (whatever 'right' may be). Satin finish is good for durability, after all once a flat O.D. weathers you end up cleaning it with an oily/WD40ish rag and it acquires a similar sheen.

I have recently converted to Frank B's product - the light O.D. and dark O.D. were not quite right to match another vehicle I have, and one of these is not available in Satin. So I mixed the two 50/50 and the colour is spot on for MY requirements. It seems to have ended up more satin than matt too.

However - whenever I see a whole load of vehicles together, I know they are all different shades but somehow they all seem to look the same :-D

In terms of colour YOU are the only one who can decide what shade is correct for your vehicle. Having said that, Chris Warne on here has spent a great deal of effort on paint shade research and has pooled knowledge from around the globe in his quest for an authentic finish. His vehicles certainly look the business (he is a flat fetishist), and almost converted me to the flat look. The only thing which stopped me was the not-quite-ideal storage facilities which would spoil the finish, as you have considered already. Nothing worse than a matt O.D. vehicle with various areas shined up from a flapping tarpaulin :mad:

I'm sure Chris didn't mean it that way - I didn't know what you were painting either!

On looking I can now see that you've posted it in the American forum, but to those just viewing "New Posts" it isn't entirely obvious ... :undecided:

Andy

Yes Andy is right, sorry if it seemed a bit harsh - but it's difficult to know how to answer a question when you only have half the info!

I can't really help with ww2 US colours, but in terms of paint suppliers, if you find something the colour you want then you can get matched paint made up pretty much anywhere, otherwise try the dealers on milweb.

Chris

Edited by sirhc