Womens Uniforms

Spood

We are attending a few WW2 themed shows this year, and, after feeling very odd ones out at A+E last year have decided to get some period clothes. For me it is reasonably easy to get kitted out but not for the other half. Does anyone know where we might get some womens WW2 army clothes. Also bearing in mind that (as she admits herself) Mrs Spood is not WW2 size, is there anyone who does made to measure stuff?

Thanks in advance

Don

I just go to the charity shops and look for the more 'mature' ladies clothes! My overalls I ordered from Alexandra work wear ok they are perhaps not the correct material but they are a good fit, (I am not WW2 size either!:wow:)

I am always on the look out for old fashioned jewellery, clothes, shoes etc. from the charity shops.

be very aware replicators items are not as accuate or correct as the photos on their website might lead you to believe; the images are taken from a French published reference book...and delivery may be a bit, um, random...

alledgedly!

take a look on the ww11reenacting forum website for loads of similar threads; ignore the stitch nazis comments and usual bitching there and there is excellent info to be found...

i'd suggest taking a look at a supplier who goes under battledress & bayonet or something similar..(sorry not at usual pc to check that..)

what 'impression' or kit are you looking for exactly?

Good informative answers by both Rosie and Stableboy.

Main question is which branch of the services does your wife want to depict,.for example, if your going to wear battledress, she might think of ATS where she too can dress in Khaki, if you decide a sailors life is for you, she could portray a WREN.

www.wwiireenacting.co.uk is a mine of info, including a ladies section.

www.battledressandbayonet.com does Soloman Adler repro clothing, inc ladies.

All the best.

Andy

Can I suggest you pick up Ingram and Braleys book 'WWII british womans uniforms',........a mine of useful infomation.

There IS a lass who does made to measure ATS,...if you get yourself on to wwii forum as previously mentioned, and PM Miss Spitfire for Della's details..........

All the best.

Andy

Just be careful if getting items from some of the Asian sellers as I have been stung with getting uniforms that were supposed to be BD khaki coloured etc to find them almost orange and I had to dye them a few times to even look desert sun bleached brownish. Ask for samples of cloth before you buy.

Gary

Hi mate,

My friend is currently getting a ATS coverall made, if you want I can let you know how it turns out, it cost in the region of £120 ish but is handmade to measure and to the spec in Dickey Ingram’s book as previously mentioned by Andy. Got an ATS hat from a mate of mine at Stoneleigh for £35 also picked up a leather jerkin for £40. Previously got a pair of brown boots for £25 at Malvern and that is her sorted.

I am now representing a sapper from the R.E.s so no more stretcher boy!

Good luck

Paul

Just be careful if getting items from some of the Asian sellers as I have been stung with getting uniforms that were supposed to be BD khaki coloured etc to find them almost orange and I had to dye them a few times to even look desert sun bleached brownish. Ask for samples of cloth before you buy.

Gary

Again, another good point. :-)

Hi mate,

My friend is currently getting a ATS coverall made, if you want I can let you know how it turns out, it cost in the region of £120 ish but is handmade to measure and to the spec in Dickey Ingram’s book as previously mentioned by Andy. Got an ATS hat from a mate of mine at Stoneleigh for £35 also picked up a leather jerkin for £40. Previously got a pair of brown boots for £25 at Malvern and that is her sorted.

I am now representing a sapper from the R.E.s so no more stretcher boy!

Good luck

Paul

Cheers mate that would be good, I've got my eye open for bits and pieces.

What are we going to call you now :)

REPLICATORS NOOOOO!!!:wow::wow::shocked::shocked:

Avoid not only Replicators but any other company or website that is similar as they are now trading under other names. They won't rip you off in that your stuff will arrive, it's just that it will be truly, truly, AWFUL.

Either buy good stuff (Pegasus, Richard Knight, Khaki Devil, What Price Glory, Soldier Of Fortune - In that order) or nothing. Better to save your money than waste it on rubbish that you won't be happy wearing.

Probably easiest to go for ATS workwear to be honest. Overalls/wrapover etc. I've seen some original caps sell on eBay recently for not that much more than a repro.

Oh, the book previously mentioned is £20 well spent too. Can more than pay for itself if it stops you buying the wrong kit.