Water bottle pouch 58 ptn.?

airportable

Picked up a waterbottle pouch out of intrest. At first glance it looks 58 ptn. but with a twist fastener. Would it be the first ptn? Size wise it is a little 'baggyer' than the std. second ptn. only by 1/8" in the width. What makes me think it may not be British is the fact of no markings at all and no pocket for purification tablets, and why is there a vertical belt attatchment.

Thanks for any advice.

Andy.

2011-02-02 Webbing (2).JPG

2011-02-02 Webbing (3).JPG

2011-02-02 Webbing.JPG

The material feels very much the same/ same weave as a std. pouch. Ammo pouch/loop..did cross my mind. But the pouch does have that same slight taper towards the bottom as per. std. bottle one. It does look well washed, hence colour. It is very well put together. The bottom does have the eyelet for drainage.

First ptn. pouches did have the turn buckle. (See.. British Post-War Jungle Webbing, Simon Howlett, pg51,52)

Thanks for input.

Definately not a Sterling SMG pouch.

Could be first production of the 58 pattern that had the turn buckle.

That would make it an ammo pouch due to the loop at the top.

May be South African or similar.

Without markings on it, I would think it's foreign as nearly all the British gear is labelled.

Check inside, under the lid for ink stamps?

Off to do research now.

The first 58 Pattern water bottle pouch did indeed have a twist fastener with a small pocket under the top flap to hold purification tablets with no strap attachment loop on the top back and was a darker green,

I have one I'll post a pick latter if anyone wants

So dont think its a standard British issue may be a copy from another country as already said

Btw did see at Stonleigh some unissued 58 pattern holsters in this colour with brass fittings that were marked MECO 1975 that looked a little too new to me but may well have been produced for another country

Dan

Andy

No probs mate

While at stoneleigh did you spot the fella with a bucket

Load of twattin sticks (riot batons) some unissued with

The broad arrow stamp and labels still attached for a fiver

Each.

Dan

:cry::cry: No I did not, what a pity we were not all in touch. Been after one for years.

Andy.

• 3 weeks later...