Colour British Jeep

DCLI

As factory fresh or sun bleached!! From the moment it leaves the factory, it will begin to change colour.

Other than desert or RAF jeeps, did the British repaint jeeps a different green to the factory supplied Olive Drab, or did they just add the Mickey Mouse black to them? And if they did repaint them a different green, why bother wasting time and money?

Steve

I am setting myself up to be shot down here, but ...

I have described the logic (and how the camouflage works) behind painting on Micky Mouse Ear in another thread somewhere.

Given the tiny amount of side area on a Jeep, it occurs to me that painting MME cam onto a Jeep would leave it almost enirely black with only a couple of patches of the base colour underneath. So what would be the point?

Unless someone can show me a contemporary picture (ie not preserved) of a Jeep in MME, I'll find it hard to believe that it is correct. At that time I believe it was more common for soft-skinned vehicles to carry only the base coat without camouflage and in the case of the Germans, usually without Balkenkreuz. Clearly larger British softskins (I am thinking Matador and remember a series of pictures of Matadors on this forum) DID carry MME cam.

hello what for colour ( Ral ) has a British WWII Jeep

Bearing in mind that RAL stands for "Reichsausschuss für Lieferbedingungen", I would suspect that the only Jeeps with a RAL number would be those that Jerry had got his hands on.

Anything wrong with good old British Standards, Old Chap ?

Michael Taylor in "British Military Markings" quotes a source as saying that "Olive Drab" was Khaki Green no.15 in BS987C of 1942, as amended !

Sorry but I don't know how to cross-refer to current British Standards :?

Anything wrong with good old British Standards, Old Chap ?

Michael Taylor in "British Military Markings" quotes a source as saying that "Olive Drab" was Khaki Green no.15 in BS987C of 1942, as amended !

Nothing wrong with British Standards, except for the fact Jeeps were painted in Lusterless Olive Drab, QMC spec 1-173, ES-474b or ORD ES-680 - see http://members.aol.com/brimiljeep/WebPages/JeepNamePage.html#G503ODJeepPaint

Cheers,

Hanno

Hanno, I asumed (dangerous thing to do !) that the questioner was asking what colour the British repainted their Jeeps, otherwise it would have been phrased to ask if they were factory supplied in a different colour.

Did the British use paint to American specs on American vehicles if repainting was necessary ?

• 2 weeks later...

Unless someone can show me a contemporary picture (ie not preserved) of a Jeep in MME, I'll find it hard to believe that it is correct.

What about this picture from Wheels & Tracks magazine?

width=511 height=461http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/MB_CDLV_505_in_MME_camo_in_UK_WT_1.jpg[/img]

linked from: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/jeeps.htm

What about this picture from Wheels & Tracks magazine?

It proves me both right and wrong! Wrong in that clearly it was done. Right in that they have painted most of the Jeep black apart from a few inches along the sides. As far as Micky Mouse Ear cam is concerned, all they have achieved is two small circles of black and they haven't yet painted any circles up from the mudgard to break up its shape. By the time they have broken up the shape of the wheel arch, there will be next to no green left and IMCO the cam will be worse than leaving it the base colour. Complete waste of war effort.

Applied to an hostoric Jeep nowadays, whilst technically permissible, it will certainly make the Jeep a talking point but I don't see it as a crowd-puller. The rivet-counters may be wrong, but the owner will never convince them of that and any exhibition will be spent arguing with them over it.

If I were given that vehicle to drive in combat in that state, at the first opportunity I'd slap a can of Olive Drab on it (or Khaki if applicable).

Probably the best thing about that paint job is that they have covered up all the eye-catching white characters (apart from the bumper and the bridge classification which we've discussed before).

If I were given that vehicle to drive in combat in that state, at the first opportunity I'd slap a can of Olive Drab on it (or Khaki if applicable).

I would agree but forget the OD, see avatar

Ashley