Who is this Chap

robin craig

Back a few years, maybe 10 or so, I made a discovery of a chap who had a 434 and other tall grass storage ornaments like Cent ARV and Stollies who was on the left side of the road if travelling between Swindon and Cricklade.

Chap was very hospitable and ran some kind of recycling bussiness.

Anyone know who he is and is he here?

Robin

I used to spend a lot of time traveling to Cirencester visiting the in-laws, I can't remember any AVF's but remember seeing a yard which was up an embankment along the A419 (between Cricklade & Cirencester I think?) with some Mil Fuselages visible, could this be the place??

Did the chap have a bushy beard??

Well,

you guys have made me crazy, but then I went onto Google last night and think that it may have been more than 10 years ago, maybe more like 15 years.

The property did not leap off the page at me last night as I wombled along the main road on google satelite, but my memory did jog and remember he had some WW2 concrete dragons teeth at the edge of the road.

Im also wondering if building development has changed the lie of the land.

I did notice and establishment named "Richard Freeth" on google and maybe it was his yard which is quite near to where I thought it was.

R

Edited by robin craig

EUREEKA!!

Its nearly 4am and I have just spent a while, well actually quite a while using the Streetscape on Google and found it!

Its now called Thamesdown Recyling and is exactly where I thought it was, a few hundred yards nearer to Swindon than the Seven Bridges Gulf petrol station on the other side of the road.

On the streetscape the dragons teeth, big concrete cylinders with conical tops leap out at you. The place looks to have been heavily changed but the entranceway is the same.

Im going to try and link the image.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.633047,-1.830471&spn=0,0.0012&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=51.632966,-1.830335&panoid=aV0QJnH-iX96KR1rC64TZw&cbp=12,214.54,,1,2.93

R

Interestingly, not a far down the road back towards Swindon is a place shown as having an off road course on the Streetscape view. The of road course and a business called "Channel Skips" are both advertising on the fence, making me think they are owned by the same people. . . .

Curiously when you pull back to satelite view the field shows some kind of green machines in the field seen in this view, tell me thats not an AFV?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.618738,-1.807541&spn=0.000713,0.002401&t=h&z=19

R

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I like to put things to bed as it were.

This "find" of these vehicles and wandering around the nettles and vehicles languishing in a state of utter neglect was surreal.

Yesterday, courtesy of the new owner, I saw in person, one of the Strikers that were in that yard that day a good number of years ago.

It is very strange how myself and the Striker are now here on the other side of the Atlantic.

R

striker robin.jpg

Yep definitely Thamesdown recycling , my friend still works and has worked there on trucks for years, Richard and Jeremy freeth and yep Marcus Glenn bought the kit- mb tanks, recovery tanks stalwarts, 432s,434s, loads of kit . I looked round all the stuff some years back and was very sad to some of rotting away . One centurion had foot water in hull due to open left hatches . I bought a m35 a2c from there prob 10 year ago ... Think he kept couple vehicles one being Volvo Sugga . The concrete dragons teeth you remember are still there and are ww2 in date

martin

• 1 year later...

The 'Dragons Teeth' are actually 'Cylinders' They were part of GHQ Line Stop Line Red which came through here linking the Thames via River Ray to Stop Line Green at Great Somerford. Freeth 'saved' the cylinders by moving them to guard the entrance to his yard. Until the carriageway was dualled there was a 6 Pounder gunpit with 360 degree traverse mount at the side of the road where the Esso filling station is now. Unfortunately it was demolished and one more reminder of our WW2 defences disappeared. Ah well that's progress I suppose.