FV432 Looking for a liitle help, guidance and direction

Andy8419

Hi,

Looking for a liitle help, guidance and direction.

The wife just gave me a fantastic Christmas present...

An FV432/30... Most of us expect aftershave, socks maybe something for the car, but No I get 17 Tonnes of fun...

Anyway, we have known the vehicle for the last 8 years and she is a good runner. She has a couple of known faults and we would like to try and get them sorted.

1. Since the vehicle arrived it has aleays had a fault with the Gearbox oil which runs hot and ends up a milky brown colour (emulsified?), has vever got any worse over the years but I would still like to get it sorted. Could any of you point me in the right direction to probable causes?

2. Coolant leak that a new radiator and visual power pack out inspection failed to identify but still looking.

3. Pretty sound but in need of a once over, current colour scheme is olive drab but keen to put it into green/black colours. Are there any specific painting schematics for this pattern or a rough guide to the green/black split?

Any help or direction is very gratefully recieved.

Happy New Year :-\

Defo got water in it and needs sorting

Re the coolant leak, it may be coming from the drain tap at the front bottom of the pack? or any of the larger pipes, best way to find it is by running the engine and having a good look.

Re the colour scheme...2/3 green and one third black, the black used to go on sharp edges and corners with no defined shape

Shape

Shadow

Shine

Silloute

Spacing etc etc

I would defeinately take the heat exchanger out & pressure test. I changed quite few of these in service. This componant takes a LOT of heat & works very hard all the time! From what you say in your post. If there are visual leaks with a power pack run up when it's outside the vehicle. I would strongly urge you to look at the H/Ex for this problem. It wont get any better if left. And the ensuing potetial damage if not corrected could end up costing you a heck of a lot more! Good luck, & keep the forum updated with your progress for other 432 owners please.

Hi,

Looking for a liitle help, guidance and direction.

The wife just gave me a fantastic Christmas present...

An FV432/30... Most of us expect aftershave, socks maybe something for the car, but No I get 17 Tonnes of fun...

Anyway, we have known the vehicle for the last 8 years and she is a good runner. She has a couple of known faults and we would like to try and get them sorted.

1. Since the vehicle arrived it has aleays had a fault with the Gearbox oil which runs hot and ends up a milky brown colour (emulsified?), has vever got any worse over the years but I would still like to get it sorted. Could any of you point me in the right direction to probable causes?

2. Coolant leak that a new radiator and visual power pack out inspection failed to identify but still looking.

3. Pretty sound but in need of a once over, current colour scheme is olive drab but keen to put it into green/black colours. Are there any specific painting schematics for this pattern or a rough guide to the green/black split?

Any help or direction is very gratefully recieved.

Happy New Year :-\

Arent you the lucky one my missus bought me a car sterio thought i was spoilt . the fault is definately heat exchanger and as ferret fixer says it s amust to fix as it wll cause problems for your gearbox. Its an awkard job to do but def worth the graised knuckles any more advice just shout up and we'll help as much as we can .

As for paint scheme no real fixed way just break up the shape as dieasal demon says ifirst one i sprayed i went on google and studied a few pics first to get the basic idea.

I think but no doubt i will be proved wrong artilery vehicles always have each corner black .

Iain

Defo got water in it and needs sorting

Re the coolant leak, it may be coming from the drain tap at the front bottom of the pack? or any of the larger pipes, best way to find it is by running the engine and having a good look.

Re the colour scheme...2/3 green and one third black, the black used to go on sharp edges and corners with no defined shape

Shape

Shadow

Shine

Silloute

Spacing etc etc

Don't be shy....Quote the rest :-D