Stormer gearbox fluid

It's OMD90 above -15 Celcius, OMD55 below that. There's been an ongoing discussion here on HMVF about a civilian equivalent for OMD90, but basically it's a semi-synthetic 10W/30 heavy duty diesel oil. Morris Lubricants suggest their Super Versitrac 10W/30 is suitable and that's what I'll be running my 432 on in future.

The gearbox level should be checked cold, on level ground. Open the air inlet louvres and raise the radiator. The dipstick has two marks, minimum and maximum, and the level should be kept at the maximum mark. The filler is the hexagon-headed plug near the dipstick.

Hope that helps!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

The picture posted is not quite as per ours, ours is tight against the deck plate.

I have put 2 litres in cold and brought it up to the mark but gearbox light doesnt go out when driven out of the shop and back in.

We may jack and block the vehicle and run in gear to warm it to see if it takes more and that shuts the light off

Cant believe they put the gearbox fill under a different cover than the dipstick, the shuffle required is stupid, and dont mention where the

engine oil dipstick is!

Sadly dissapointed with the ergonomics of the whole engine bay and gearbox bay. What an opportunity missed to improve on the old design.

Im dissapointed that both bays dont reflect the cleanliness of the interior and the shiny paint job on the exterior, pig pens by comparison

Any tips gratefully received.

R

Edited by robin craig

Ah hah! I was kind of thinking that flow rather than level might be an issue,

We will see what we can achieve.

R

I think you'll find it's a "my filter needs changing" light! :-D

(And I'm confused about the filler too, but I've only got a line drawing to go from).

Andy

Edited by andym

If time allows we will pull the filter and inspect, likely wash out and take for cross referencing and re install pending a new filter from UK or local source. I have been pleasantly surprised by the ability of my local guys to measure and using manufacturers specs cross reference most filters.

The only one that still stumps them is the Vokes petrol fuel filter element, sadly

R

There are 2 different filter units, the Stormer one has a differnet element number stamped on the case, without the part number I can't tell which one that is.

we attempted this afternoon to get the filter housing undone but there is precious little room to work in there.

Think we are going to make up a 1 13/16" socket on a flat bar with a nut welded on the other end to get onto with from on top, kind of like a massive crows foot spanner.

Otherwise its take the hoses off and drop the assembly from the brackets and do it on the bench.

We are grain fed beefy guys and it is on solid.

Any tips gents?

R

Try 4330-17-114-6342, Filter Element Fluid or 2520-99-052-5455 as a listed alternative, which both look like kits with seals etc. The listed alternative is the same as the gearbox filter for diesel CVR(T)s, I'm not sure if it's the same as the petrol-engined originals. The drawing reference for the element itself is 274A-3T50-BL110/10, so your 270 L 110 may make sense.

Andy

Lates news just in from "my filterman" who is the local Parker filter stockist.

He says when Fairey Arlon got bought out and became Parker Arlon there was some adjustments made to part numbers.

The current Parker filter number that crosses to the original part number is now 270-Z-123A.

As others have supected and quoted here already, he confirms, the warning light on the drivers panel actually is triggered by a pressure sensor in the filter housing head when a pressure differential of 25 psi is registered which then puts the filter into bypass to stop the filter being destroyed. It is a standard gizmo on this type of unit.

Anyhow, the filter is a week away, stock being held in the US of A for the north american market. Price is $82 and change plus tax.

R

Edited by robin craig
tech info added

• 1 month later...

The Stormer gearbox should be filled as andym's description the plug is located near top centre on the rounded part of the box 33mm spanner if i remember right.

The gearbox should never be filled through the breather pipe in the engine bay this is known to blow gearbox seals dont ask me how or why but it does.

cheers

Buzz

• 1 month later...

Finally had a spare few minutes and pair of qualified hands in the shop tonight.

We have had the filter for a while. Makita cordless day stretcher has been on back order until now.

We pulled the filter unit and suspended the hoses and took the whole unit into main shop.

We made a dummy bracket and welded it to the bench, why I like steel benches. The unit is 90 degrees to its installed attitude and gives purchase. We had to use 3ft of leverage and a solid lump sitting on the free standing bench. It has tapered threads and an O ring. I'm a bit surprised it doesnt have a locking wire tab or something similar to prevent vibration working it loose, but given the torque we needed to get it off maybe it isnt an issue.

As Gerry my mechanic chum noted the weight of the cast housing is close to that of a Honda Civic engine.

Strangely it has four bolts from the bracket to the housing but only two from bracket to firewall.

Picture shows unit with bowl removed.

Job done, another vehicle serviceable.

R

stormer gearbox filter.jpg

Edited by robin craig

• 2 years later...

I am interested to know how it's arrived at that OMD 90 is a semi - synthetic oil.

All my research on the subject indicates OMD90 a multigrade detergent oil, which pre-dated semi-synthetic.

I have contacted a number of oil companies all of whom refuse to give me an equivalent to OMD90, one actually give me a monograde equivalent! - they simply do not know!

There's no way I would put a semi-synthetic in a Wilson type gearbox, or for that matter in CVRT running gear. There is however a good argument for using a semi-synthetic or indeed a synthetic is a petrol engine, depending on its working conditions.

Diana

It's OMD90 above -15 Celcius, OMD55 below that. There's been an ongoing discussion here on HMVF about a civilian equivalent for OMD90, but basically it's a semi-synthetic 10W/30 heavy duty diesel oil. Morris Lubricants suggest their Super Versitrac 10W/30 is suitable and that's what I'll be running my 432 on in future.

The gearbox level should be checked cold, on level ground. Open the air inlet louvres and raise the radiator. The dipstick has two marks, minimum and maximum, and the level should be kept at the maximum mark. The filler is the hexagon-headed plug near the dipstick.

Hope that helps!

Andy

There's no way I would put a semi-synthetic in a Wilson type gearbox, or for that matter in CVRT running gear. There is however a good argument for using a semi-synthetic or indeed a synthetic is a petrol engine, depending on its working conditions.

Diana

That's what I've been told for my ferret. The semi synthetic (and multigrade) would be broken down by the innards of the gearbox in use and not be able to protect it.