Has anyone out there got a second hand Challenger 2 yet???

jonclark

I ( and 2 of my colleges at work) used to build Challenger 2 amongst other things at RoF , later Vickers, in Leeds. Does anyone in West or North Yorks or nearby have an example that we may have built that we can come and have a look at for old times sake? Clearance not a problem.

These both Chally 1's though, no Chally 2's released to my knowledge, but it can only be a matter of time now..

I doubt it, they will go into storage (or straight to the scrap yard, but I doubt it given how expensive and new they are.) They won't want Dorchester armour knocking around in civilian hands.

• 1 month later...

god i miss my chally as far as i know they cant be released into civi hands untill the armour is declassified the only public owned ones are steel test bed ones mine unfortunately went to storage with the rest of the regiments when we re-roled to cvrt they took our challys and gave us tonka toys we were not happy the only good thing is that because we were used to heavy maintenance keeping us busy the tiny cvrt's were done in a quarter of the time leaving the pt staff to keep us busy the rest of the time. we used to have squadron competitions to change all the pads on 2 wagons by the old sledge hammer and mk 1 arm

The MOD seem to be moving Challenger 2s around at the moment, so that may the start of putting them in storage. There were two on transporters east-bound on the A31 yesterday morning and eight empty transporters coming back west yesterday evening.

Andy

The MOD seem to be moving Challenger 2s around at the moment, so that may the start of putting them in storage. There were two on transporters east-bound on the A31 yesterday morning and eight empty transporters coming back west yesterday evening.

Andy

they were storing them when i left in 2007 they usually move storage vehicles in groups of five they might have been en route to a range somewhere or as repalcements

with only a few working prototypes the chances of getting behind the sticks of a chally are looking far off for a good many years until they declassify chobham

looking at those photos brings back the stark differences between challenger one and two i remember two had hydrogas suspension on the photo it looks like its fitted with chieftain style spring packs, the hydrogas was always interesting when the attached infantry tried camping under our wagon after a days flying about salisbury plain they didnt realise as the suspension cooled the ride height got lower so they crawled nice and easy under at night but were very nearly stuck in the morning needing pulling out by their dos bags, only then did the horror stories start and no one ever slept under or near the tracks of a wagon again, my favorite spot was a dip in the armour on the right hand side of the gun sponson where the gunners sight was that dip was made for sleeping in, on exercise we had a guy come off radio stag and walk off the back of the turret expecting a metre or so drop onto the engine deck, the guy completely forgot we had the gun over the side and landed on the stumpy sa80 cocking handle right in his ribs. silly bugger

Edited by Tankman
oh and lol