Military Vehicle terminology etc

Johnh

Question

Not wishing to appear totally behind the door (maybe ajar) is there a section that gives meanings (or Glossary of terms) for certain items in MV parlance as in SWB being short wheel base etc ? as in what does 'tilt' mean on the likes of cckw trucks ? or should I run for the hills now ???:embarrassed:

Edited by Johnh
Added stuff

18 answers to this question

Not wishing to appear totally behind the door (maybe ajar) is there a section that gives meanings (or Glossary of terms) for certain items in MV parlance as in SWB being short wheel base etc ? as in what does 'tilt' mean on the likes of cckw trucks ? or should I run for the hills now ???:embarrassed:

Tilt is strictly not a "military" term, it's the canvas cover over the load bed of a truck (not specifically CCKW trucks). It's also used in civilian trucks, though it's an uncommon feature these days (in the UK anyway).

The Oxford English Dictionary tells us that tilt is an Anglo-Saxon word for a canvas (or other coarse type cloth) covering, tent or awning. Later in the middle ages it extended to covers for small boats and later still covers for farm wagons. Similar to a tarpaulin.

jch

Edited by jchinuk

I didn't mean to overwhelm you, the trouble is a lot of acronyms etc. used on military vehicles are non purely military, SWB, LWB etc are just as much Civilian as Military so you are unlikely to find this sort of thing on a Military acronym/ glossary website.

Plenty of light reading for me !:nut: the problem we have at the air museum is that certain individuals love to 'laud it' over other mere mortals and continually speak in acronyms etc. I have often heard so called experts bamboozle newbies with Bs. Anyway thanks again most usefull ! I'll be back in the spring....:D

A lot of Military Vehicle technicaL terms seem to satrt with B. Bol.., Bas... Ba...ed up! Brocken, you get the idea?:-D

I know a few of those. for example

Somebody has brocken the bl...y spell checker again.:D

or is yours SNAFU?

MIke

If you can't hit with a hammer or turn it with a spanner. I'm doing a subtle exppperiment. Supposedly as Long as the first and last letters are correct you should be able to understand what is written. That and I've just finished a long week.

teh trohye si taht fi lal eht ttelrs rea three uoy iwll uedstndran eht neamnig.

Plenty of light reading for me !:nut: the problem we have at the air museum is that certain individuals love to 'laud it' over other mere mortals and continually speak in acronyms etc. I have often heard so called experts bamboozle newbies with Bs. Anyway thanks again most usefull ! I'll be back in the spring....:D

I love it when 'experts' use acronyms etc and I always make a point of asking what it means. The first time you do it you have about a 50:50 chance they do not know exactly what it stands for anyway so it is them that looks foolish but if you do it several times in succession, even if they do know them all (which is unlikely), the constant asking makes them look foolish anyway so you win the exchange in the end! The good one is when they don't know the exact expression but you do and tell them! I hate it when people try to exclude others with intentionally obscure language: teachers and the medical profession seem more likely than most to do this in my experience.

For a job, I write a lot of reports for use in the Law Courts and we have a very simple convention: the first time you refer to something, even if you are sure the reader does know what it means, you write it down in full and then put the acronym in brackets. Further references to it in the same document are then just the acronym so what the public still call Community Service would appear as: " a sentence of Unpaid Work (UPW)" and then each subsequent reference is just "UPW". Works for us!

"DD" does not stand for "Donald Duck" however, no matter what veterans may tell you and "Valentine" is not an acronym of Vickers' address!

I love it when 'experts' use acronyms etc and I always make a point of asking what it means. The first time you do it you have about a 50:50 chance they do not know exactly what it stands for anyway so it is them that looks foolish but if you do it several times in succession, even if they do know them all (which is unlikely), the constant asking makes them look foolish anyway so you win the exchange in the end! The good one is when they don't know the exact expression but you do and tell them! I hate it when people try to exclude others with intentionally obscure language: teachers and the medical profession seem more likely than most to do this in my experience.

For a job, I write a lot of reports for use in the Law Courts and we have a very simple convention: the first time you refer to something, even if you are sure the reader does know what it means, you write it down in full and then put the acronym in brackets. Further references to it in the same document are then just the acronym so what the public still call Community Service would appear as: " a sentence of Unpaid Work (UPW)" and then each subsequent reference is just "UPW". Works for us!

"DD" does not stand for "Donald Duck" however, no matter what veterans may tell you and "Valentine" is not an acronym of Vickers' address!

My wife is a teacher, and yes you are spot on ! so I blag her with Aviation terminology !! my god she does go to sleep quick !!:shocked: