WW1 Tank Transporter?

Johnny

I've just stumbled across this rather grainy photo on Flickr. WW1 Tank Transporter

It's titled as a WW1 tank transporter. Is it? Don't think I've ever seen a pic of one before.

I don't recognise the tank or the transporter, but the truck appears to be left hand drive; and possibly both a bit later than WW1?

Could they be French, or German?

Any ideas?

This guys Flickr collection also has a few other nice WW1 pictures including a nice one of buses taking Australian troops to the front. http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=ww1&w=42428853%40N06

the tank is a schneider CA1 6 were used post war 1 in Spain, although the building don't look particularly Spanish some of the uniforms could be esp the guy facing the camera.

Spain had some CA1 and were used in Spanish Morroco in the 1920s they were still in use in 1936 and divided 4 by the republican and 2 by the Nationalists.

Pzkpfw-e

I'm putting my ten bob on it being Northern France, by the looks of the buildings.

Could be anywhere really personally the steep gabbles on the buldings is reminisant of Alsace -ie a high snow area. the only reason I mentioned post war use in Spain was that the original poster mentioned that he thought the transporter was later than WW1. Having blown up the somewhat grainy photo the Officer on the tank has what may be a Kepi -therefore it is French.

I know I know its in Blamfords Transport of WW1 book...

My goodness, so it is. I've been trying to ID the pictures below for some time.

The book has this to say:

Amphibious Car, Texier de la Caillerie

In June 1933 the French mechanised cavalry put out a requirement for an amphibious car. The only prototype offered by the French car industry came from a M. Texier de la Caillerie who had his design built by the firm of La Licarne. The vehicle was extremely novel in shape and had a punt-shaped chassis of duralumin with two large wheels each side. These provided the drive both on land and water and had scallop-shaped metal scoops attached to the wheel hubs to act as paddles in the water as the wheels revolved. Small wheels, one at the rear and two at the front, gave support while the vehicle was on land though these were free-running. Steering was effected by braking one of the big wheels as required, which was was simple in water but made road control extremely difficult. The engine was a 6 h.p. four-cylinder unit and on land there were three forward speeds and reverse. Normal top speed was 34 km.p.h. though 60 km.p.h. could be reached, but only with excessive fuel consumption. The vehicle carried a driver and passenger only. Trials were carried out in August 1935 in the Marne and a speed of 7 km.p.h. was obtained with the current and 5 km.p.h. in still water. While the design was not impractical it proved of limited military value in the eyes of the cavalry and they abandoned interest in it in favour of a design for an amphibios light tank. This latter also proved impractical but that is beyond the scope of this present volume.

amphibian 002.jpg

amphibian 001.jpg

Edited by Runflat

• 2 months later...