CVR(T) Sabre 49AT37

sirhc

I took a few days off this week to get the running gear painted and a better set of wheels fitted. We've done this job a few times now and the easiest way to do it is break the track, jack up the vehicle and place it on stands then remove the wheels.

These were the worst CVR(T) roadwheels I've ever seen... it's amazing the rubber was still stuck to them, but shows what a hard life this one has had.

Up on stands and ready to begin...

We also fitte a set of Armstrong dampers, new link arms, bump stops etc and then painted everything.

The sprockets were as worn out as the roadwheels, so a set of as new take offs were painted and fitted.

With this side back together, the vehicle was moved over and the job was repeated on the other side.

The sprockets on this side were a nightmare to get off and we had to resort to using a big hammer. You can see from the condition of the spacer plate how corroded it all was. A new spacer has been fitted.

We will service all the hubs prior to painting them, and the wheels. The next job is the turret....

Chris

SAM_0100.JPG

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_2558.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2564.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok Andy, I think you win that one!

The perils of restoring vehicles that have previously been in "corporate" hands, I'm afraid. And that's just the 432, I've got to do it all over again with the Abbot. Mind you, I've got two tonnes of scrap steel already, so there should be a nice little earner at the end of it.

I don't know how you are off for track, but Hirst's seemed to have some NOS CVR(T) track in stillages the other day?

Andy

I know 49AT37 would definitely look even better with NOS CVRT track added!!

The track on it is less worn than the NOS track I fitted to mine 200 miles ago! They must have changed it just before casting the vehicle.

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've not updated this for a while, so thought it would be time for some new photos. I've been a bit busy recently, so progress has been slow. All the bins for the outside are blasted, some are painted, others will wait till it warms up a bit. A lot of internal bits are also cleaned and painted, but we had one big problem to overcome...

When we got the vehicle we knew the fuel tank was full, when pushing it onto the low loader a load came out the tank breather. It turned out to be mostly water, with some fuel sat on top. To get it running and driving we were using a jerry can connected straight to the filter, but before we can paint the floor and put it back together we had the small problem of the fuel tank to sort out.

I managed to find a decent submersible pump on ebay for £30 so figured it would be worth a shot, with some clear fuel hose and a 220L drum we were able to empty what was in there in about 20 mins. Opening the apature revealed a big mess...

This seems to have been caused by the water corroding the pickup pipe and fuel sender unit. Both are U/S and need to be replaced. The pickup pipe I found lying in the sludge at the bottom!

The tank was left overnight, which caused most of the water to freeze and could be easily scooped out and the sludge hoovered up. You can see a bit of ice in this photo! The tank needs another hoover after it's dried, by which time I hope to have repaired the pickup pipe.

The next job is to paint the floor, I started in the drivers compartment, some etch primer and some white bilge paint makes quite a difference. The whole floor and sides of the hull will get 2 coats before reassembly.

In addition to this I finally found a gunners site, so this vehicle is now complete parts wise. I still need another one though if anyone sees one about!

Chris

IMG_3544.JPG

IMG_3540.JPG

IMG_3541.JPG

IMG_3551.JPG

IMG_3555.JPG

It seems I forgot to post any photos of the painted turret. This was actually done a while ago. We've also restored and fitted all the hatch locks since this was taken, and bolted on quite a few of the brackets etc.

Chris

IMG_3085.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Sabre is now nearly ready to start the long journey to its new home. The inside is completed, with the seats etc all fitted and the electrical systems wired up and working. The outside is complete except for the replica Rarden. We are manufacturing some barrel troughs for this. The only major thing left on the list is the final paint job, but the weather is making this difficult at the moment.

Not sure if anyone still reads this, but here are some photos from the past few weeks. I'll post some more once it's finished... then on to the next one!

Chris

P6010372.jpg

P6110388.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3867.jpg

IMG_3868.jpg

IMG_3869.jpg

. . . . Not sure if anyone still reads this, but here are some photos from the past few weeks . . .

Chris

Yup! Confirmation also from this "call sign" . . . still reading with interest and fascination, as well as admiration for you enthusiasm and dedication :)

Chris,

If you are restoring these to sell, would you chuck me a pm to give me an idea about how much one would be please? I still fancy one and while I am handy with spanners a full restoration is too much for me. Cheers Dave

Chris,

I'm surprised to see you making that piece as I had thought they were readily available.

And before anyone tries to connect the dots, no the vehicle is not coming to us in the Union Jack Collection.

Hopefully this Sabre and ours and another that landed over here recently will all end up together at an event this September. Should be a nice photo op.

R

The outside has been treated to a fresh coat of green and black paint, I think it looks rather good. The number plates have been added. My trick for these is to paint a gloss black rectangle, stick the numbers on and then clear coat. Should stop them coming off and makes them stand out against the black cammo.

IMG_4177.jpg

IMG_4178.jpg

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4185.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

The final thing to add was the replica Rarden. This was manufactured by ourselves, the barrel is gas pipe. The troughs were cast from an original, and have all the part numbers, stamping etc as per the original. We chose to do it this way as we needed several of them, some of the replicas out there are not great and we have the knowledge and skills thanks to Andy!

IMG_4176.jpg

IMG_4182.jpg