my mk 4 churchill

eddy8men

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recon that it was an engine test, I just found the pictures on the net, I think it is from Isle of wight military museum

this site might be of interest www.churchilltank.com

there is also some pictures here http://www.asphm.com/moteurs/moteur_churchill_mk_v_II_crocodile/moteur_churchill_mk_v_II_crocodile.html

3.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

Edited by Niels v
new link

eddy8men

don't forget i'm builder from manchester not a professional military vehicle restorer all i can promise is i'll do my best.

:idea: Does this mean we can re-wire it with 6242Y twin and earth?:rotfl::rotfl:

Enigma I'm calling shotgun...:-D

Forget I called shotgun when I showed eddy the Feldom churchills (or what little was left of them) I just never expected him to get even this far this fast -even the U/C I reckoned would be a 3 years build. Anyway I want a turret seat- you can't see anything from the shotgun seat in a Churchill :-D.

Steve

hi steve

you can be the commander if you like, just don't start kicking me or swearing if i miss a gear or two.

eddy

You will have to draw straws for which of you is walking in front with the hi-viz vest on when you are driving to the arena, complete pain in the a..., its ok if your in a wheeled vehicle you can wiz round to your hearts content at any speed and nobody bothers !

antar

You will have to draw straws for which of you is walking in front with the hi-viz vest on .....

Done that with the OTA Grizzlies -without the high viz vest:shocked: and in a Northumberland rain storm that turned the Redesdale camp round-about into a swiming pool:nut:.

Steve

Edited by steveo578

eddy8men

you can be the commander if you like, just don't start kicking me or swearing if i miss a gear or two.

moi- play officer for the day:confused: not very likely - anyway I think my legs are way too short to kick the driver in a Churchill from the Commanders seat -gunner maybe :nut:

Steve

i don't care who walks in front as long as it's not me, but seriously i'm more into raising awareness of ww2 british armour than anything else and the best way to do that is for people to see and experience it for themselves, so everyone is more than welcome to come and play in the carrier anytime. that's how carrierbarry treated me at beltring this year and i loved it so i offer the same experience to all who are interested. that goes for all my other armour too but you'll have to bring a jerry can of fuel with you, oh and you might have to wait a while(years) before any of it's ready to drive

eddy

• 3 months later...

got an original churchill gearbox sorted and will be picking it up in may, which will probably lead to an original engine going in aswell and so the build might turn into more of a restoration and less of a let's just get it moving exercise but the thought of all that work is not doing me any favours i can tell you that, (the things i do to keep you forum bunch happy) :D

eddy

i don't care who walks in front as long as it's not me, but seriously i'm more into raising awareness of ww2 british armour than anything else and the best way to do that is for people to see and experience it for themselves, so everyone is more than welcome to come and play in the carrier anytime. that's how carrierbarry treated me at beltring this year and i loved it so i offer the same experience to all who are interested. that goes for all my other armour too but you'll have to bring a jerry can of fuel with you, oh and you might have to wait a while(years) before any of it's ready to drive

eddy

Hi Eddy,

My grandson (14 yrs) is restoring my carrier. Can he have a drive/ride in your carrier in exchange for you having a drive of my Valentine? (I know it would have to be out of hours but he is quite safe. He has been driving my tank since he was 9). Seeing a carrier on the go will be just the boost his restoration needs, he will be about twenty before he can drive mine probably!

no problem john, i want to encourage people to get into ww2 armour so your grandson is more than welcome and i'd appreciate a drive in the valentine as i'm looking at getting one myself, a nice man once told me where all the turrets were.:cool2:

send me a list of carrier parts you're looking for and i'll see what i can do as i've got piles of carrier stuff.

all the best

eddy

got an original churchill gearbox sorted and will be picking it up in may, which will probably lead to an original engine going in aswell and so the build might turn into more of a restoration and less of a let's just get it moving exercise

Evidence that the restoration mindset is starting to take hold....remember that cuppa I made for you...hint of wartime rust in the tea leaves:D

i've also got a commanders cupola and half a turret ring, i'll get some pics up on the forum this week as i'm not entirely sure the cupola is the right one for a mk4 but i'm sure steve will know one way or the other.

restoration sickness is definately setting in as i'm sure i'll be sick of restoring by the time that churchill is done, probably just as well then that i've got my eye on another more complete one :-D

eddy

eddy8men

i've also got a commanders cupola and half a turret ring, i'll get some pics up on the forum this week as i'm not entirely sure the cupola is the right one for a mk4 but i'm sure steve will know one way or the other.

Whether a Mk4 had a commanders hatch (flush hatch) or cupola (all round vision No1 & 2) is down to when the vehicle was last refitted- you will not see a Mk4 in tunisia with a cupola but during the Reichwald operation in Feb 1945 cupolas were becoming more common but some early marks were never refitted. No1 Mk1 cupolas were fitted to some tanks at Normandy.

restoration sickness is definately setting in
Have you developed the characteristic rust marks yet:???

Steve