Basil is homesick! Fox CVR(W)

handler 69

OK here is what I have been told. The carbie is completely stuffed, no one down here has seen one like it. Most of the rubber seats are gone, the seal around the choke has worn away and the altimeter ( needle) is stuck in place. I have no dobts that Basil was working fine last time Eddie used him and Iam not pointing fingers or complaining about it, if Eddie had known he would have fixed it :-)

What Iam looking for is a way to fix it up, OR replace it with something else. If anyone can tell me where to get parts from or what to replace it with please let me know.

Cheers

Troy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK here is what I have been told. The carbie is completely stuffed, no one down here has seen one like it. Most of the rubber seats are gone, the seal around the choke has worn away and the altimeter ( needle) is stuck in place. I have no dobts that Basil was working fine last time Eddie used him and Iam not pointing fingers or complaining about it, if Eddie had known he would have fixed it :-)

What Iam looking for is a way to fix it up, OR replace it with something else. If anyone can tell me where to get parts from or what to replace it with please let me know.

Cheers

Troy

You should be able to get a new one from RB http://www.milweb.net/go/banister/ .. about £270 last time I got one from him..

I think I have a take off carb if you get stuck..

Edited by Marmite!!

PS anything else I should be keeping an eye out for. He was blowing thick black smoke and all the plugs were fouled, stank of fuel. Good compression test

Either the mixture screws were incorrectly adjusted & it was running too rich or just the carb being knackered..

Make sure the plugs are RSN12Y's

Yes we have the right plugs, I have a new set to put in him.....at least I can get them here :D

Reckon the oil will have to be changed too, I have bought Valvaline 20 W, can I get to the oil filter without taking the motor out? What kind of oil filter does he use?

Yes we have the right plugs, I have a new set to put in him.....at least I can get them here :D

Reckon the oil will have to be changed too, I have bought Valvaline 20 W, can I get to the oil filter without taking the motor out? What kind of oil filter does he use?

All the servicing info you need will be in your manuals..

Suprised you can get Milspec RSN12Y's over there, not many doing them over here..

No these were as close as we can get to them...designed for the 4.2 L jag motor. I still have all the old plugs and they are working fine after a clean up.

We have ressurected the old carbie by........wait for it!

Using the parts from a Mitsubishi Gallant "Nikkon" carbie.....the japenese version of the Solex

Looks like Basil will be going to the ball. Can we get to the fuel lines with out taking the motor out, gotta check the filters etc :shocked:

You need to read the manual and servicing schedule, if you have them. If not you need to buy them and read them before touching anything else... otherwise the next thing you'll be telling us is that you've put brake fluid in your brakes, and that's a £2000 mistake.

The oil filter is unique to the J60, (http://www.ekmpowershop5.com/ekmps/shops/greenmachines/cvrtcvrw-oil-filter-1383-p.asp

) it should be on the boomerang bar:

I know the Fox is an awkward vehicle, but nobody would design anything which requires engine removal for basic servicing.

The fuel filter is on the hull wall next to the change over tap. As you've probably not looked it up in the book, it's under the turret floor plate on the commanders side. Again you'll need a specific filter which I doubt you can find over there.

Chris

11-12-05 015.jpg

The leads are black NGK ones if that helps any. If Iam in any doubt I will ask you fellas. Tommorow we put the new "revitalised" carbie back on. Will have a look at the petrol filter in the turret first and see if that too needs cleaning or replacing. I would just like to get him running halfway decent for the weekend...is all :D

I will follow the manuals slavishly I promise :nut:

I will follow the manuals slavishly I promise :nut:

I hope so. It's hard enough to find bits for these vehicles over here... I wouldn't like to be you if you blow it up, need a new gearbox or have to replace the entire brake system. Reading the manual is cheaper than replacing the things you've broken because you didn't.

I have a Jaguar mechanic with me and he is pretty switched on (cured the solex :-)), myself I won't go near something I don't understand and Iam a mechanical spastic :nut:

Worried that there may be fuel mixed in with the oil..is it a normal 4.2 Jag oil filter?

I have a Jaguar mechanic with me and he is pretty switched on (cured the solex :-)), myself I won't go near something I don't understand and Iam a mechanical spastic :nut:

Worried that there may be fuel mixed in with the oil..is it a normal 4.2 Jag oil filter?

Your switched on mechanic should know these answers;).. Think you need to pass on all the manuals to him & get him to read them before messing with anything else..

Edited by Marmite!!

Basil finally came home today. We changed the plugs and set them to their civie setting, fully charged batteries and off we went!

Some amazed looks as we drove him home. Very light in the steering you have to be very careful not to over correct. Surprisingly easy to use the gears, you have to rember that it ain't a clutch pedal.

The worst part :cry: the drive was over all too soon..now have to find a lookout so I can take him for a longer run in the country! Any volunteers?

Put his cannon on him tommorow and take some pics.

Cheers

Troy

Iam not allowed by the fun police to drive him too much on the roads, when I do I have to take the barrel off! :nut:

Anyway want to thank all you fellas for your support and help getting Basil back on the road again!

If any of you are in Tassie, drop in for a cold one on me! :D