Loyd 4.2" mortor Carrier - WW2 usage

ajmac

Oddy enough all references I can find are for Italy -the use earlier in North Africa seem to be for its use as a smoke mortar with problems getting the recently introduced HE bomb to attain its designed range.

So while not conclusive although transfered from RE (chemical batts.) to RA but needs some research to prove it got used post D Day one way or the other- perhaps Alan might have something from the RA Museum about it.

What's this about Cali then -should we send red cross parcels:-D

Steve

Yeah, sorry about that Alistair!

There is precious little information about this. CMHQ Report 141 notes the use of the T16 Carrier as a 4.2-in mortar carrier was peculiar to the Canadian Army in North-West Europe; in Italy the mortar was carried on a trailer towed by the Loyd Carrier. But I am sure the Bovington Tank Museum can come up with more information.

HTH,

Hanno

Thanks for that chaps, there is so much hidden in the depths of the MLU! If it ends up being a TT Mortar or 6 Pdr is not really much but idle interest at the moment. Afterall it is only a little difference between the two in terms of stowage.

Cali is hot and great as normal, people seem to be following the highway regulations a bit more this year.... like taking traffic lights to be more than just guide lines :undecided:

Edited by ajmac

• 4 months later...

Yes Hanno a really great link,

I noticed the photos 23 and 24 on the

http://jtrowbridge5.smugmug.com/Alli...80183744_SWRTQ pages show ammunition sledges being towed behind bulldozers maybe an early form of porpoise -possibly the same type of sledges used on the Dieppe Raid. The troops training on the beach seem to have Canadian shoulder patches in some photos and of course the old MkVIII international tanks are relavent to Canadian forces.

Steve

Those two Loyds on the beach are interesting, they are both early ones, I haven't got my ref book next to me ATM so I can't check the WD No, but the one without the hull supports, it very early, I'd say it was one of the first 200 built by Loyd. If you look at the brake drums / sprockets you can see they are flat, once production got going they were cast and look similar to the Universal Carrier type, the other Loyd on the beach has this type, and they are not many WD numbers appart....

I've never seen a photo of an early vehicle actually in the Army's hands before.