Alvis Fighting Vehicle Society and MVT Show ,,,,Dunchurch????? did anyone go?? great

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A big thank you to all those who came along to this our first public show at Dunchurch and an even bigger thank you to Andrew Baker, Mick Browning, Sally, Anne, 'Pyro' Glenn and all the lads and lasses from the Alvis Fighting Vehicles Society for giving the Birmingham and West Midlands Area MVT the opportunity to join forces and put on a show in the middle of the country for MV enthusiasts pre war, war time ,post war oh what the hell any period of machine if it's GREEN. Or Us Navy grey? Thank you to those who dispayed in the arena in particullar Dave Perks with the Foden 'Drops' Several people were heard to say "I want one."

We did advertis the show and sent out entry forms with every copy of Windscreen. How many did I get back from that source? 12. That's right TWELVE. 90 vehicles from the MVT entered and 55 turned up. To the gentleman who entered 2 vehicles and arrived by car and then complained he had to pay to get in. Hmmm...

Until May this year I was organising the B&WMA MVT side on my own and then Scott Morris our new area treasurer came on board and with Craig Bagley we started to get going. A grant from the MVT was a big financial boost and partly unfurled a much furrowed brow. So another BIG thank you to Scott & Craig and of course the MVT. Nearly forgot Kelvin. Hows the back? and Chris Baxter South East Midlands Area for your words of encouragement.

To the low life who tried to scupper the show by telling the MVT we weren't using the grant for the show, we have pretty good idea who you are. We did it, you failed, stay away!! Nuff sed.

Next year we'll be back. Bigger, better organised (I hold my hands up to the poor MVT organisation this year) same Bank Holiday Weekend in August. We're planning it with the AFVS already. Watch this and several other spaces.

And finally.......There WILL be speed limit in the arena gentlemen, at least while the public are on site. I know I had a little play as well. Quite took me back to Wimbledon Stadium.

Our Safety Officer was not amused. He said I should lead by example. That's me told!!

Again thank you.

Phil Palmer

Chairman, Birmingham & West Midlands Area MVT

A few more pics below (hopefully!)

These are courtesy of and copyright Ratty..!

Please note in the arena pic there is no mud flying around or drifiting going on !

If you think the pic of the pyros looks like the Scimitar is blowing up that's because it pretty much is. Mr Baker has been repainting the scorch marks this week I understand ...

Cheers

AFVSshow201060.jpg

AFVSshow2010119.jpg

AFVSshow2010104.jpg

AFVSshow2010117.jpg

AFVSshow2010101.jpg

AFVSshow2010125.jpg

AFVSshow2010136.jpg

Had a great time at the show and well done to all involved at pulling out the stops to make it great weekend. The Alvis guys put on a cracking display and the line up of all the CVRT variants was great. Would have been good to see more on the move, if your short of drivers throw us the keys. :cheesy:

The blisters from hauling chains around the arena are going down now, Dave needs to grease the chain tensioners if its going to be repeted again. :D The missus loved getting the chance to drive teh Drops on sunday while Grumpy and me dragged the exploded CVRT about.

Plenty of ideas for next year, bigger better more.

Much midnight oil was burnt to re paint scortch marks and repair impact damage caused apparently by an accidental down shift whilst in reverse. Oops! I think some of the crowd came back on Sunday to see if it was part of the show!

I am having a quick meeting today to work out our costs and put together the Brum Areas thoughts for next year.

I organised and part organised 4 shows in 2010 but that will cut to 2 next year. One being for the local city council in June and the other at Dunchurch which next year will be mega percent better organised by the B&WMA side. The Alvis Fighting Vehicles Society side was just brilliant. I and Scott can't thank them enough.So please come along in your hundreds if not thousands. Don't forget we are only 10 miles from Meriden. How central do you want to get?

The public will soon be able to buy discounted tickets online for our show plus hopefuly vehicle entrants can book in on line. Watch this space.

And finally....... what are vehicle owners thoughts on being asked to stay until say 5-00pm on the first two days (Sat & Sunday) I realise some folks have a long way to go on Monday.

Having vehicles arrive on Saturday at 11-00am and go at 2-00pm isn't what the public have paid to see. To those who did stay a big Thank You.

WATCH THIS SPACE. It will be on HMVF FIRST.

Phil

Had a great time at the show and well done to all involved at pulling out the stops to make it great weekend. The Alvis guys put on a cracking display and the line up of all the CVRT variants was great. Would have been good to see more on the move, if your short of drivers throw us the keys. :cheesy:

The blisters from hauling chains around the arena are going down now, Dave needs to grease the chain tensioners if its going to be repeted again. :D The missus loved getting the chance to drive teh Drops on sunday while Grumpy and me dragged the exploded CVRT about.

Plenty of ideas for next year, bigger better more.

Sadly only had one vehicle running properly this year - for next year am determined all CVRT's will be properly up and running so happy to oblige with a drive.. The only key you'll need is for the padlock. Watch out though - they're addictive!

Some more ideas. Samson winch is now connected up so could do some recovery demos..

Biggest ever private gathering of CVRT'S ? Must have been halfway there already this year.

Road run on the Sat to drum up interest for the rest of the weekend..

Here it is folks. Next years show is:

TANKS, TRUCKS & FIREPOWER 2011. It will be over the August Bank Holiday as this year (2010). Notice we have dropped the Aeroplanes (NOT literally) as we cannot control that part or the weather and logistics on the day was also a headache.

We are currently setting up a website. The public can pre book tickets plus vehicle and stall holder entry forms can be down loaded. The website should be online by mid October. Entry forms will also be available via normal means. I am currently updating those now.

As for events on the site, we will have two arenas, as this years show, the lower field for the tracked vehicle and firepower displays and the main field will have other displays. Winching demo's are good IF you can guarantee safety. Having seen first hand what happens when a wire hauser fails I pay them great respect! We have several ideas to occupy that area but are always open for suggestions.

Road runs are a nightmare. The Police get involved and DON'T do it for free. I am involved in one organised by a City Council and trust me it is fast becoming a shadow of it's former self.

Camping and storage WILL be available for those who want to do 'TANKS, TRUCKS & FIREPOWER 2011' and then move onto the Victory Show.

We have an inexhaustable supply of 'Visivests' but a just a few volunteers to wear them! I am sure that there is a whole army of folks out there willing to slip one on and help. We might even swap your help for a free pint! Sorry Mr Treasurer!

So there you are so far. Watch this space. I said it would be announced on the HMVF website first. Any chance of a bit of sponsorship Mr Beckett? Ah well....just a thought.

TANKS, TRUCKS & FIREPOWER 2011 Dunchurch Rugby. Organised by:

Birmingham & West Midlands Area MVT and Alvis Fighting Vehicles Society.

Entry forms will be available at Malvern Militaria November 7th 2010. I will also send some out to MVT Area Secretaries in the next couple of weeks.

With a huge thanks to the Alvis Fighting Vehicle Society.

Phil Palmer

Chairman Birmingham & West Midlands Area MVT

TANKS, TRUCKS & FIREPOWER 2011

Great name change i think its a winner says how it was great idea. Can booking in forms be downloaded from the website?

What about reenactors. The victory show is based on, are you going to invite any? I understand the MVT about the ss but how does this stand with this show as its not sole MVT. SS were some of the best German troops But yes overshadowed by the camps. This is going to be a great event roll on next year...

Hi Phil

I just has a look on the HMVF Calender and the show is not on there , Also Milweb events good places to put it up. Also on the MVT website nothing on there either. There are shows listed for 2011 on all sites. Get in first.............! never start too early

dave

I am sure were are going in the right direction,,,,,

IF THERE IS ANYONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO EXPRESS INTREST JUST PUT A POST UP!!

Hi Clive.

We had our first meeting on Tuesday 14 Sept, for next years show and decided the new name etc. I will e mail you with the details as soon as we firm them up. I have a long list of sites to contact. Please only add items I send you as there are only 2 of us from the MVT dealing with the show. We want to make sure the correct imformation is displayed and we are still putting it together. Our website will be up and running soon.

Phil

Hi stal108.

Entry forms will be available on the website when complete. I have finished them but I need to have them agreed by the other committee members first. I am having my internet connection and computor upgraded to make sure I don't have it going off line etc when I need it.

We will be accepting entries from re enactors and re enactment groups. Entry forms for them will also be on our website. No problem with German groups so long as they fall within the MVT rules.

The website is being put together now. As I said we only had our first meeting for the 2011 show on Tuesday night (14 Sept) and the interest we have had already is fantastic. Don't forget there are over 200 acres at Dunchurch so we have plenty of space to grow and grow!!

I think I'm going to have an early night now. It's 2-00am.

Phil