Alvis Fighting Vehicle Society and MVT Show ,,,,Dunchurch????? did anyone go?? great

We went to this new event on request from grumpy ,, As we have had a small fallout with the mvt birmingham west mids branch as it seems post 1945 does not matter to them. So we went along to support grumpy who has helped get it off the ground.

Well as we arrived (2 beford gs and foden drops and foden limber)it was a sight to see cvrts everywhere as i didn't really count but 35 of them at least. For a first show loads of tracked armour fv432 from dave king who also bought some of his go-cart tanks(fun),Alvis Saladin from john B.(my old one)restored to its glory.......!!! part restored cvrt scorpions sabre .. petrol and diesel tatty to mint.... just outstanding effort!

The tank battle the put on was just unreal for a first try 100%, the field the battle took place in is like a Roman Amphitheatre theatre, raised at the side the field being 15 football pitches in size or maybe more. With a small lake(pond). I wish i took a video. When a scorpion fired a round at enemy position missed and hit the lake a massive splash 80ft high just great lol. Done so well and timing was spot on.

As for the mvt em

Well a bit of a poor turnout on the whole. As the alvis lads did so much i think the mvt let the side down a bit. I went into the arena several times in the drops did a few things but not much else went on. The arena was to be done by the mvt. em em. To be fair grumpy did a a1 job with the pa system and sorted the dj ran around trying to sort things but was let down by low turnout. The chairman was well out of his depth with all this post war things a land rover who made them???? fodenium no foden this is not roman. He tried his best commentating but again lack of things going on in the arena didn't help him at all. He tried his best and did make up alot in the post war owners eyes .I am told he may even go to Beltring(no steam trains lol)to have a look

The turnout was great for first show 85 items mainly post war but very nice pieces from the 40s a royal navy truck a austin ,, a dodge in us navy grey looked great all in a1 condition. A few jeeps a hippo albion gun tractor and many more.

I would like to thank all those who put it on and the people who took along there kit great first show. Where it is with these people it could be as big as the cosby victory show.... or even a midlands w&p ????

This is a must see show and we all will be back next year , The show was open to the public who came in good numbers and seemed to enjoy it greatly. The MVT built bridges so we will see

Thanks everyone.... you know who you are.................!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a great time being picked up by DROPS and towed around. Check out afv society forum for some pics..

I'm only involved around the fringes but all I can say is that the amount of work the AFV soc lads put in was astonishing, including one of them working right through the night to get things sorted. Agree the MVT seemed to let the side down but there were some notable exceptions and these were very much appreciated so thanks..

Problem with advertising was basically a cost thing given it was the first year it was just too much money to get as much coverage as it should really have had. Similarly there weren't many stall but stalls will only come when there's people and base don this year next year will be awesome.

Glenns pyros were unbelievable and a bit too close for comfort on one occasion with some serious scorching on the back of the scimitar. In addition there was a scimitar being blown up and 2 cvrts colliding during the synchro driving display - how many shows do you see that at...

See you next year - I'll be going for the week !

Its good to see people are intrested . I agree it was not pushed mutch .I dont think it was as big as it will be next year a whole year to talk and punt it . The way forward a major midlands show to replace cosby?? great weekend over the bankholiday. Detling is the same weekend but its 150mile south toofar for many .Hope people up north will try it as an alternative.

Again 100% to the show

Problem with advertising was basically a cost thing given it was the first year it was just too much money to get as much coverage as it should really have had. Similarly there weren't many stall but stalls will only come when there's people and base don this year next year will be awesome.

Guys -for goodness sake use HMVF to spread the word!! With 80,000 visitors a month and growing you are missing a trick!

And in my opinion - HMVF would love to support a 'post war' show in anyway that we can. It is, in my opinion about time that there was a main 'focus' show on PW vehicles........

Get busy.

Best wishes,

Jack.

It is, in my opinion about time that there was a main 'focus' show on PW vehicles........

Get busy.

Best wishes,

Jack.

I do think and hope that the show would be able to accept and surport Pre and Post war vehicles, yes there seems to be alot of shows that are pre war and the post war take a back seat, there is alot of intresting vehicles both pre and post war that the public shoud be able to see. The way W&P arena is run should be a good model to work on.

Al

Hi, never heard of this event. Not too far away. Does this mean we can bring our postwar Landies and display next year!! Life is great, lets all enjoy it, no matter what period or vechicle.

P.S. Great video, well impressed.

Andy.

I did put a post on the EMLRA website about it but probably should have been more active. There were some really nice landies there including Tobys VPK, a s2a lightweight (getting rare now), and two VERY nice 80 in series 1's..

I went along to the show on the Sunday and apart from the terrible rain shower we had about 1pm I had a really good time. Didn't have chance to post any photos before I went to Dorset on Monday and with still being here at the moment I won't get chance until Monday.

I went to this show and stayed the whole weekend (unlike some, that ran away at the first drop of rain!)

Naming no names :cool2:

First I would like to thank our hosts the Alvis Fighting Vehicle Society :thumbsup:

Along with The Birmingham MVT, for putting on a great show that has huge future potential!

Phill Palmer, Grumpy, and many others, I cannot put a name to, worked very hard to make this show happen, and it is very much appreciated! :thanx:

The setting for the show was lovely, with some great scenery of the surrounding countryside, so calm and serene, until the AFVS blew it up with their superb battle. :shocked:

The weather could of been better at times, but in general was fair, if a little windy.

I believe the point Big Dave (AKA the prodigal son) was trying make about lack of support from the MVT, is that surprising few local MVT members turned up to support their own show, lets hope that with better planning and advertising etc, next year we can really put this show on the map.

Re-enactors or other motoring groups may help spread the appeal and is an option that should be considered, again the date has pro's and con's, being a bank holiday means most folk have three days off and can enjoy a long weekend, however it also means that it will coincide with many other events, Military and non-Military, The Great Dorest Steam fair took away a few people that I think would of gone another time.

All in all, a great first effort.

Gentleman I applaud you.

Highlights of the show for me were;

Big Dave's Foden drops doing it's thing (I want one!!!!!)

Me and John Boy stealing Big dave's Drops and going for a joy ride in it.

Every type of CVRT you could think of in the same field (I want one of them too!)

Phil Palmer power drifting his Dodge WC (mint) on the wet grass

The AFVS battle ( the cows in the field across the way, will never be the same again)

The mother of all camp fires we had on Sunday night , the local Chinese take away gets 10 out 10 too!

The sand Stolly FV623 and Supacat Nice.........

The cleanest Leyland Daff Radio body in the land

Getting hammered in the beer tent with friends old and new, way, way past bed time. :beer::beer:

I urge everyone to put this show in their calender for next year, as it can only get bigger and better.

Lastly;

Post war - Pre war, the movement needs them both to survive, so lets throw all the past grievances aside and ALL THE BIG GREEN THINGS in a field together.......

Barby lit, beer chilled

Simples......

[quote

I urge everyone to put this show in their calender for next year, as it can only get bigger and better.

Lastly;

Post war - Pre war, the movement needs them both to survive, so lets throw all the past grievances aside and ALL THE BIG GREEN THINGS in a field together.......

Barby lit, beer chilled

Simples......[/quote

Will do and agree with the statment above looks like you all had a good time Old and young !

Al