Sink The Bismarck

berna2vm

Just watched the film 'Sink The Bismarck' on TV. What a load of inaccurate sh**e it is. I watched it as a kid and thought it was good. Watching it now 30 odd years later when you know the history of it, was very disappointing... Still love the 'Battle Of Britain' though :-).

I still enjoyed it although I know what you mean..

On my special edition Bat of Brit DVD there is a period documentary, made at sime time as film, which is really quite entertaining, esp the bit where apparently Adolf Galland tried to suggest to the filmmakers that maybe not all of the german aircrew were diehard nazis who deserved everything they got - he got pretty short shrift of course !

Hadn't realised until recently that the Buchons used in the film were Merlin engined - sort of Messerspit I suppose, or maybe Spitterschmitt...!

Also recently enjoyed Bridge Too Far after a long time away - now when it comes to inaccurate MV's that one is a treat...

The HE111 in Battle of Britiain movie were CASA 2.111B or 2.111D which were post war spanish built versions of HE111 which were fitted with Merlin 500s from about 1953 and used as general bomber and costal command aircraft- last went out of service in 1975 but few in service beyond 1968, when they were purchased for use in B of B.

So what would you call a CASA 2.111B/D a Hienkcaster or a Lanckel:-D

Good oldbBRITSH war films, they don't make 'em like that anymore! Possibly because the British Film industry has popped it's clogs. There was an old black and white B movie type thing about british Paratroops in WW2 on the box a few weeks back. The guy's drill was spot on, then I realised they would have srved in either WW2 or Korea, or at least National service. As for Battle of Britian (Leaving aside the 1960's facade on the cottage) The aircraft from Spain staged through Jersey, we all skived school to go and se them. As my bedroom window looked ove the airport and the wind was in the right direction, fabulous alarm clock when the left the following day very early.

BBC two now proggramme about QuinetiQ /(The fifty thousand pound spelling mistake but that's anothe rstory)

I am quite aware of the inadeqacies of the 'Battle Of Britain' but I like it nonetheless.The use of Casa and Hispanos is acceptable. The cast and soundtrack by Ron Goodwin and Sir William Walton more than make up for it though.:-) I don't think it casts a bad light on the Germans and I can imagine Adolf Galland behaving just like Falke or Foehn, drinking champagne and chomping cigars. I love Sir Laurance Olivier's portrayal of Sir Hugh Dowding, in my opinion the greatest leader the RAF ever had and the saviour of Britain.

Just watched the film 'Sink The Bismarck' on TV. What a load of inaccurate sh**e it is. I watched it as a kid and thought it was good. Watching it now 30 odd years later when you know the history of it, was very disappointing... Still love the 'Battle Of Britain' though :-).

Very few war films stand up to what the memory remembers them as. A lot of these films were made in the fifties early sixties when the full factual accounts hadn't become available.

Ever watched the film Full Metal Jacket I went to see that at the pictures when I was seventeen and I knew then that the main scenes had been filmed in Londons docklands courtesy of Film87 / 88. Didn't stop me enjoying it and I still have it on video somewhere.

Do tell? :embarrassed:

Andy

When DERA was to be brocken up the Goverment spent £50,000 on 'Consultans' to come up with a logo. The answer was Kinetic, then the real world came in' Seiko registered Kinetic years ago for their self winding watches. Undterred our over paid muppets carried onand got a blue background (Representing the sky high thinking ...etc..futher gobblygook ) and in white letterin (Clouds etc) QinetiQ.

Have to say the proggramme glossed over 'The company, despite some contrversie over it's launch', that is describing an atomic exploson as a slight bang. Anyway feed QinetiQ into a word procesor and see the results.