Helmets for driver and comander on a Striker/Stormer/432

xtreme

I am go to the war and peace show at the end of the month with a huge list of parts I need for my MV's .

Is there a pacific helmet and headset worn in the striker, 432 and stormer vehicles if so does anyone have an image and part number .

thanks

Dan

There is no pacific headset or helmet, or a specific one for that matter! The earlier 'Bone Dome' helmets had the headsets built in and are identifiable by the large bulges at either side over the ears. These aren’t great and I don’t like them.

The later ‘Turnip’ helmets have a cut out either side for the headset, which clips in using a lift the dot type fastener on either side of the headset. These are much better, but the fasteners can come detached from the tabs which leaves the helmet bouncing around.

These two are mostly used by AFV crews, but there is another type of headset which fits into/under the standard Mk 6 Kevlar helmet. These headsets have a Velcro strap which goes over the top of the helmet to hold it in place. I’ve mostly seen these in use on Warriors, where the crew are wearing the Mk 6 helmets anyway.

What parts are you looking for? You’ll be lucky to find any decent vehicle parts at W&P, I haven’t bought anything useful spares wise down there for some time. You will probably find some headsets and maybe the odd helmet, but don’t hold your breath! Keep an eye on ebay as they do turn up on there.

Chris

I have two helmets from a Ferret any use ?

There is no pacific headset or helmet, or a specific one for that matter! The earlier 'Bone Dome' helmets had the headsets built in and are identifiable by the large bulges at either side over the ears. These aren’t great and I don’t like them.

The later ‘Turnip’ helmets have a cut out either side for the headset, which clips in using a lift the dot type fastener on either side of the headset. These are much better, but the fasteners can come detached from the tabs which leaves the helmet bouncing around.

These two are mostly used by AFV crews, but there is another type of headset which fits into/under the standard Mk 6 Kevlar helmet. These headsets have a Velcro strap which goes over the top of the helmet to hold it in place. I’ve mostly seen these in use on Warriors, where the crew are wearing the Mk 6 helmets anyway.

What parts are you looking for? You’ll be lucky to find any decent vehicle parts at W&P, I haven’t bought anything useful spares wise down there for some time. You will probably find some headsets and maybe the odd helmet, but don’t hold your breath! Keep an eye on ebay as they do turn up on there.

Chris

Ok, here are some photos of the stuff I had lying around. Sorry if the quality is not good, it was getting dark.

First up this is the 'bone dome'...

Next is the 'turnip' helmet, more correctly called the Crew Guard.

This is type of headset which fits inside it, and the mounting mechanism. This is the latest ANR type of this headset, the earlier type has vents which slide open so you can hear whats going on around you.

In order to use these you need a Pressel box or for the Commanders Box Fixed a Commanders Personal Unit and 10 pin lead (not shown.)

Just for fun, here are some in service photos showing some other variants of helmets and headsets, including the Mk 6 Kevlar in a Warrior.

I hope this helps.

Chris

S7300259.JPG

S7300258.JPG

45105614.jpg

45114622.jpg

S7300256.JPG

S7300255.JPG

45114013.jpg

45114656.jpg

S7300254.JPG

S7300257.JPG

Two more both suitable for the Black ptt only. The top helmet is for me the best one of the lot comfort wise and was available new until quite recently.

The bottom one has an integral ptt and no chin strap which is a problem as it always feels like its going to come off or slip forward and its heavy to boot. The integral ptt which is a pain if you want to switch it to live voice which you will if you're driving.

The green ptt's only work correctly with the gold faced boxes / ANR headsets.

I can understand why you would want new headsets some of them can be stripped down and cleaned and fitted with new foam (the bit that goes against the ear). The ANR headsets seem to be sealed up and meant to be thrown away rather than being repaired.

Edited by ferrettkitt

Guys, I've got an issue when i try and use a CPU (10 pin) in the ferret, connected to the commanders crew box. It seems to work but then the 10 way coil lead starts to get really warm, then hot! I've tried a new cable and CB2 box but still the same, does the CPU need a ANR headset? As I'm not using one. I've not managed to try another CPU yet (all my harness boxes are ANR) (see pic)

DSC01014.jpg

Guys, I've got an issue when i try and use a CPU (10 pin) in the ferret, connected to the commanders crew box. It seems to work but then the 10 way coil lead starts to get really warm, then hot! I've tried a new cable and CB2 box but still the same, does the CPU need a ANR headset? As I'm not using one. I've not managed to try another CPU yet (all my harness boxes are ANR) (see pic)

Flip the cpu over and see if it has a black or gold mod plate on it. Depending on the colour that will be the clincher whether its ANR or not. I think I have a spare ANR headset I think that showed it to you and the reason why I wouldn't use it... downright filthy!