Ferret hot hubs

pigdog

After giving the visiting family all rides in the ferret I put my hand on the hubs and 2 were very hot. The front left and rear right were very hot. They all had oil in them and as far as I know the brakes are'nt dragging cuz I havent used the hand brake at all.

What else would cause the hub to get so bloodly hot??

-Chris

After giving the visiting family all rides in the ferret I put my hand on the hubs and 2 were very hot. The front left and rear right were very hot. They all had oil in them and as far as I know the brakes are'nt dragging cuz I havent used the hand brake at all.

What else would cause the hub to get so bloodly hot??

-Chris

Sticking wheel cylinders is a possibility, best jack wheel up and see if it rocks freely. Unless you also jack up the other wheel on that side, you will only rock it, because they are geared together.

Wow that was fast! So most likely the brakes are rubbing? Will adjusting them by backing off a bit fix that?

-Chris

Hi Chris,

What I am suggesting..and this is a common problem, is that the wheel cylinder might be siezed. Backing the adjuster off is OK, but not a fix, because it is likely, that if you touch the brake pedal the cylinder may go on further as pressure from the brake line is greater than shoe return springs. I have known cases where are quite a few miles, the heat transfer to the alloy cylinders is enough for them to temporary free, until cooled again.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I jacked up both sides of the ferret before and after a drive. I turned the wheels and didnt notice any problem rotating. They didnt feel stuck before or after the drive. I did notice the back side of the wheel hub/backplate seemed a bit warm. The wheels that werent hot just felt cool to the touch.

What would be causing the hub to heat up so much if it dodnt seem to be the brake dragging?

Or could it be dragging during a drive but unstick when I stop? Should all the wheel cylinders be redone?

Thanks-Chris

OK, so I jacked up both sides of the ferret before and after a drive. I turned the wheels and didnt notice any problem rotating. They didnt feel stuck before or after the drive. I did notice the back side of the wheel hub/backplate seemed a bit warm. The wheels that werent hot just felt cool to the touch.

What would be causing the hub to heat up so much if it dodnt seem to be the brake dragging?

Or could it be dragging during a drive but unstick when I stop? Should all the wheel cylinders be redone?

Thanks-Chris

Chris,

While you had it jacked up, you should have got someone to apply the brakes and released again, while you checked each wheel in turn to make sure they were operating and releasing. That is the only way of knowing.

Have you looked at the flexible brake pipes? They can expand internally and allow brake fluid to pass though under pressure but the return springs aren't man enough to force the fluid to return, thereby causing the brakes to stick on.