Unit markings

tim gray

Question

7 answers to this question

Hi guys,

Dopey question but in WW2 which side of the vehicle when viewed from the front would the divisional and unit markings go ??

I may have commited driver error !!!!

tim

Tim,

Unit markings on offside front and rear, div signs on nearside front and rear

Tim,

Unit markings on offside front and rear, div signs on nearside front and rear

To borrow a blackadder phrase........"wrote in diary .....bugger!" Front is correct.....back end is not :nut:

I wouldn't worry too much, it was often done wrong at the time!

Excellent ! I really did not want to re do my 7th div rat.......nice wee fella called denis.

On a more serious note i have a photo of a 4 Fd Sqn dingo in north africa. The unit marking is 33 over a blue square. Would the 33 apply to the entire sqdn or just the recce troop.

ie

30 = hq

31 = 1 troop etc

or am i in the realms of modern call signs here?

Regards

Tim

Excellent ! I really did not want to re do my 7th div rat.......nice wee fella called denis.

On a more serious note i have a photo of a 4 Fd Sqn dingo in north africa. The unit marking is 33 over a blue square. Would the 33 apply to the entire sqdn or just the recce troop.

Tim,

If the 33 is on a blue square, that represents Royal Engineers, so doubtful if it is recce. My own Dingo was also Royal Engineers, timescale points to Italy and RE Museum told me the number on the square was a Field Company.

Tim,

If the 33 is on a blue square, that represents Royal Engineers, so doubtful if it is recce. My own Dingo was also Royal Engineers, timescale points to Italy and RE Museum told me the number on the square was a Field Company.

Hi Richard,

Sorry, i did not explain myself clearly. I knew it was an engineer marking, i presumed that because it was a dingo in the photo they were the reccy element from the engineer squadron ( not that it was a reccy unit) Does the white 33 apply to all the vehicles in the squadron?

Regards

Tim

Hi Richard,

Sorry, i did not explain myself clearly. I knew it was an engineer marking, i presumed that because it was a dingo in the photo they were the reccy element from the engineer squadron ( not that it was a reccy unit) Does the white 33 apply to all the vehicles in the squadron?

Regards

Tim

Hi Tim,

According to info from the RE Museum, just found the letter, during the war in the Western Desert, it was realised that Sappers required an armoured vehicle to perfom reconnaissances. Eventually each RE troop / platoon commander had a Daimler or Humber scout car as well as two being available at Company HQ. As for the number, I cannot say, because it depends on whether it was attached to an Infantry or Armoured Div and the numbers were changed at some point , possibly 1943. Mine was with an Infantry Div, with number 48, a Senior Field Coy RE.