What happned to vehicles after the war?

Tony B

I picked up this brochure a few years back . Unfortunately my scanner isn't big enough to reproduce it complete but you get an idea . There's also several pages of ex gov't tools and equipment in it .

The Morris Commercial with full cab conversion, looks like it originally was an open cab C8 Portee, 17pdr tractor, etc, by front mudguards and rear body.

to state the obvious, its no different to what is happening now, those that were left after the war were sold off (cf Witham today) to anyone who wanted them (again look at the types of people using Witham). Its just that back in the 40's and 50's there was not really any collectors around, so they all went to civilian commercial use and inevitably therefore once they were beyond economic repair were scrapped

some great links there, thanks

cross posting from the how did you start in MV thread, I always remember a CMP parked in the local farmyard converted to timber work when I were a kid and bitterly regret that it disappeared before I had the money becuase I certainly had the interest and knew what it was :-D

to state the obvious, its no different to what is happening now, those that were left after the war were sold off (cf Witham today) to anyone who wanted them (again look at the types of people using Witham). Its just that back in the 40's and 50's there was not really any collectors around, so they all went to civilian commercial use and inevitably therefore once they were beyond economic repair were scrapped

Also worth bearing in mind that unlike today, you could put any old wreck on the road - today it is not possible to use many surplus mvs for revenue haulage.

However after the war there was the problem of not being able to get hold of operator's licences for additional lorries, let alone get hold of new vehicles, so even total heaps of cr*p which had a licence would be quite valuable - just transfer licence to nice ex ww2 truck!! Example £150 for GMC chassis cab with zero miles and just a cracked block to stitch up....

So all in all, just as difficult as it is today, just a different set of problems :D

Talking of old wrecks heres where a lot of old military vehicles ended up, on the farm just like this CMP chevrolet with farm built grain body and of course the customery bald tyres. When finished they were scrapped but the axles were given further use in local built trailers for farm use, i well remember towing some of this old junk around behind the tractor when i left school BALD TYRES we had the canvas comming through and we were towing them fully loaded on the roads and when they finally blew out we had to source another old piece of rubber from the stock of used tyres ah happy thoughts

hmvf1..jpg

There were some great adverts put on to an earlier thread on this subject, but I cannot find it. Don't know if it was before the crash or later, so pics may have gone. How about linking the two threads up (someone?).

In the island at the moment. Can anyone identify the carrier?

Can't see it from here, Tony

:-D

sorry, just realised you meant from your first post?. Looks like it is based on a Kegresse half track, not Citroen as it is too big, maybe it is based on Burford Kegresse that was used by the British Army?

Edited by Richard Farrant

Anyone know what the 'bren carrier with high sides' thing is is 4th picture 535937 ?

Looks like an APC ,something we didn't have in France 1940?

The tracks don't look anything like a Bren Carrier's. To me it looks as if it is a Burford Kegresse half track, like the one in these photos.

Fyll

661_08_124.jpg

661_08_130.jpg