M5CLIVES New Purchase

HWade

Well as you can see from Howard's photographs, it appears the Volcanic ash has finally arrived in Suffolk as the pictures all have a rather misty appearance!

But yes Jack you are right - It was just down the road in Felixstowe and the truck was in good enough order to drive home - Something i did not anticipate when I successfully bid for it on e-bay last week. I imagined that I would have to transport it back, but it runs really well and the chap said he would have no doubts driving it the 20 odd miles back to Howard's workshops near Stowmarket, so we did!

It is a quite an early CCKW 352 example and has probably had a cab replacement at some point in time as it doesn't have the civillian dash and ash try in the cab, which (according to East Anglia's GMC expert ShopNut) it should have such an early chassie number.

Although it has been parked outside for 18 months and indeed by the sea, it is mechanically in excellent shape although the tin work needs some attention. The engine is sound and pulls like a train. The gearbox selects beautifully and their is very little steering play and no nasty knocks or bangs - It is indeed a lovely truck with bags of potential and strangely enough, it has got me quite excited about seeing the work progress on it.

Watch this space..........

Nice 352 truck Clive, there are more and more 352's on the scene than ever. I think mine should have had a hard cab originally but has an open cab, know idea when it was fitted looks as though it was on there a long time.

Good luck

Some close up shots I took today showing the more unusual features of this early CCKW.

Early Chassie Number?

DSC_0387.jpg

Firewall data plate with corresponding chassie numbers - Original or repro?

DSC_0392-1.jpg

Early brush guard and blackout light location

DSC_0399.jpg

Quirky Horn!

DSC_0402.jpg

Well done , looking foreward to how you rate ,compare an American MV to the experiances you have had with British MV's

Fortunately I haven't had any experiences with British MV's, other than having the misfortune to get stuck behind them in wartime vehicle convoys!

This will in fact be the eighth GMC CCKW/DUKW I will have owned since I was 17 ~ They are so good, I keep coming back for more!!

The firewall data plate stated date of delivery 27/10 /41 ~ pre Pearl Harbour! I thought the Yanks always put the month before the date? Maybe our friends across the big pond can confirm whether this is the case.

Would this date be about right for the chassie number Robert?

interesting that you think its original, but i would always bow to your greater knowledge in the CCKW dept!

I will try and get a few pics of the unusual braking mechanism on the outer chassie rail, beneath the drivers running board. I wont have time before Route to Victory this weekend.

Edited by M5Clive

Clive, on a second look at the plate, I now think its a repro., and the date, which I did not notice, is not stamped the U.S. way.

But its still a early truck and a little more rare of having banjo axles fitted, as you know most SWB trucks were split axles.