What tank is this Antar carrying ?

XS650

It is a conversion of an AMX13 with the turret of an M24 Chaffe tank- the french built a batch in the late 1950s. Odd though the Antar is British and the background looks similar the RMCS Shrivenham

Edited by steveo578

The 10 ton Light recovery Rubery Own is a very unusual sight behind an Antar. You would expect it to be behind a Martian or A Militant.

It also must be completely overloaded , Standard AMX is 15 Tonnes, The DCA version was 17.2 Tonnes, I Guess this one is somewhere in the middle but that trailer is a 10 ton Capacity Trailer, capable of taking max 12 Tonnes.

Edited by antarmike

It is a conversion of an AMX13 with the turret of an M24 Chaffe tank- the french built a batch in the late 1950s. Odd though the Antar is British and the background looks similar the RMCS Shrivenham

Thanks, its been puzzling me for ages, a mongrel tank in effect. These are stills from the mid 1980s UK detective series 'Dempsey and Makepeace' they never splashed out on exotic locations so probably roped in the army to help , but why would the British Army have one of these French tanks ? could tank be a collectors or film hire vehicle?

XS650

.............. a mongrel tank in effect. ......... but why would the British Army have one of these French tanks ? could tank be a collectors or film hire vehicle?

I've never heard of one in civilian private or corporate (film prop supply) ownership, but not impossible there is alot of stuff squirrled away out there.

If the location is Shrivenham then it could be from their private collecton, but it certainly never appeared in the the public museums such as Bovington.

If you look at www.chars-francais.net the 3 photos by P. Marsillas show a derelict tank in 1980,which is a period when civilian ownership became popular, that had been converted to a drivers training tank about to be used as a target. There were approx 150 built/converted they were used in the later stages of the Algerian War, . The reason for its conversion was to give a more habitable tank for counter insergency use than the AMX 13 FL11 short barrel 75mm type. it weighed the same as a standard AMX 13 -15tons.

S

Edited by steveo578
grammar

The 10 ton Light recovery Rubery Own is a very unusual sight behind an Antar. You would expect it to be behind a Martian or A Militant.

It also must be completely overloaded , Standard AMX is 15 Tonnes, The DCA version was 17.2 Tonnes, I Guess this one is somewhere in the middle but that trailer is a 10 ton Capacity Trailer, capable of taking max 12 Tonnes.

Some of these trailers were uprated to 15 tonne capacity with the addition of some strengthening gussets and additional plating so they could carry 432s.

Quite coincidental this post, I am moving an AMX 13 on Saturday, I used to own an ANTAR MK3 and I used to own a Rubery owen 10 ton trailer which had been uprated to 15 ton capacity !