Landrover cam schemes

handler 69

Hey all

Just wondering if there are any drawings, photos etc of good cam schemes ( black and green) for the landrover? Are the colours called anything in particular, like sooty black and shrek green for instance? Also interested in their markings as well ie TA and Regular.

Cheers

Troy

The green is Nato Green BS381C shade 285 and the black is just black. The British Army don't have set patterns and it's left to whoever paints it to decide what it looks like. As a rule of thumb it should be 2/3 green and 1/3 black.

The green is Nato Green BS381C shade 285 and the black is just black. The British Army don't have set patterns and it's left to whoever paints it to decide what it looks like. As a rule of thumb it should be 2/3 green and 1/3 black.

What he said. During winter, the theory was that you could whitewash out half the green, leaving white / green / black thirds. In seven BAOR winters I saw one bucket of whitewash and that was for Scorpions, not Land Rovers.

Using the rationale for Micky Mouse Ear cam, I personally like to see the black used to break up the distinct shape and shadow of wheel arches etc. I'd suggest that two thick, uneven "stripes" of black over the green, to make up 1/3 of the area, is about right.

I use the term stripe because I cannot OTOH think of a better description. There are plenty of pictures about to demonstrate what the "stripes" look like.

I also seem to recall that there is no definitive rule (as opposed to a Rule) about painting the cam over the canvas. I think there was a Rule not to, but as a rule, many drivers did anyway. But not in my regiment.

Thanks fellas really appreciate the feed back. Want to make my landie as cosher as possible LOL!

Cheers

Troy

As 72rover implies, if you want it to look kosher, it will look rather unlike many restored LRs because private owners spend a lot of time straightening bumps, sanding and airbrush painting whereas in service there will be lots of dents, not just bumps and scratches but areas of wing for example where the driver regularly climbs on top to undo and unfurl the cam net and the hessian over the windscreen, and applying paint with a mop. (I never saw paint applied with a mop, but I saw pleanty of paint schemes that looked like it.)

In seven years close to vehicles I once saw a spray gun, when the existing paint was sanded off and everything was resprayed with IRR paint. The CVR(T)s looked good until the drivers mounted to put them back in the hangar and started to refit all the accoutrements.

At Bovvy Open Day last year I admired the hard work everybody had put in to their pride and joy, but the vehicle that would have had my vote was a scruffy T59 (I was the only person in two days up to then not to have identified it as a T55) that really looked lived-in. Its (East European?) owner was equally pleased as punch when I told him this and we had a most interesting conversation.

whereas in service there will be lots of dents, not just bumps and scratches but areas of wing for example where the driver regularly climbs on top to undo and unfurl the cam net and the hessian over the windscreen, and applying paint with a mop. (I never saw paint applied with a mop, but I saw pleanty of paint schemes that looked like it.)

Thanks

This is excellant news. No need to spen hours straightening body panels and explains the shape of the bonnet, maybe I need to add a dent to the straight panel. So all I need to do is remove the civvy bits and steal the wife's floor mop (or brush) and give it a nice new camo job. Saves me hours of hard labour.

It might even add to its 'originality'.

Mike

Well, if it's 'originality' you want, you could always use 'original' LR paint colors - like bronze green, pastel green and limestone. 'Sand' would work, too....:D

My '96 Discovery has worked up a nice camo scheme all by itself. That's because the factory-applied clear coat on "willow" paint failed so dramatically. ;)

"That's not a bug. That's a feature." - Bill Gates

Cheers

Thats great ........ here was I thinking that I would have to spend alot on getting things straight and camming him up :D.

What kind of markings would one be looking at besides the UK flag? Any Regt ones? Either Reg or TA?

Cheers

Troy

I believe the official tool, if no mop is available, is a dead cat on a stick.

And IMHO Land Rovers with shiny paint & straight panels never look right. The story above reminds me of the Series 1 club stand at Billing, amongst all the rare and carefully restored S1's was a beautiful unrestored one:

s1s.jpg

Thats great ........ here was I thinking that I would have to spend alot on getting things straight and camming him up :D.

What kind of markings would one be looking at besides the UK flag? Any Regt ones? Either Reg or TA?

Cheers

Troy

During my eight years in BAOR, LR markings consisted solely of a Union Flag on two opposite corners and a squadron tac sign:

Triangle = A Sqn (/Coy / Bty / etc)

Square = B Sqn

Circle = C Sqn

Diamond = HQ Sqn

In my regiment callsigns were only borne on A vehicles, on steel plates that could be unscrewed and swapped between vehicles to follow the commander (whose callsign it was) around if his vehicle became hors de combat. B vehicles did not carry callsigns.

When I Was the Sqn Ldrs L/R driver in the 80's/90's I had the veh callsign painted on the doors using a stencil, ISTR that all the B vehs had them done the same. We also had the callsign painted onto the convoy light plate.

When I Was the Sqn Ldrs L/R driver in the 80's/90's I had the veh callsign painted on the doors using a stencil, ISTR that all the B vehs had them done the same. We also had the callsign painted onto the convoy light plate.

Shows how important it is to get the date of what you are representing right. And how things can change even within the same unit in the space of a couple of years.

That's certainly true - because our unit LR's in 1970s and early 1980s NEVER had a bit of red paint on them and yet by 1990 towing hooks and hub nuts were often painted red even though it was not official practice. Also yellow bridge plates stayed on our unit LR's till 1980 even though they should have been grey since 1977!

All very confusing for one! :nut: I have been seeing signs and stencils advertised on ebay and is it all a con? :blush:

From 24v to tyre pressure stencils. I know I have to get the round plate and TAC plates as well. For a 80's Rover the round plate is grey? What about the TAC plates? Would they be Regt colours, for example the Tank Regiment Brown,Red and Green?

Cheers

Troy