Tip of the day....

Jack

Hitting your own knee very hard with a 5lb hide mallet makes your eyes water and makes normal perambulation difficult for several months (don't ask - it involved a landrover chassis, a stubborn steering relay, and a dog)! it also for some reason gets little sympathy from the family.

I did one see someone in a BT exchange short out the main power busbar with a 1/2AF spanner. We never found the spanner although the idiot was miraculously undamaged (Darwin would probably replace "miraculously" with "tragically"). The busbar in question was -48VDC but was supplied (breakerless) from two parallel 2000A rectifiers; the spanner blew out like a flashgun.

In my youth I was once involved in a cave rescue (as part of the rescue team, I should point out) to bring out some who had fallen during a climb whose wedding ring had caught in a crevice on the way down. Amongst other injuries, the ring finger was flayed to the bone with the flesh bunched up round the nail. The finger was amputated. It still makes me squirm, more than three decades later.

During training for the mountain/cave rescue first aid certificate I used to have (it expired long since) one of the training exhibitits was a series of photos plus X-rays of a guy who had been walking down the road, not paying attention, and walked into the end of a length of rebar projecting from the back of a truck. It went clean trough his head and out the other side. He was still conscious when they cut the rebar and took him to hospital, and made a full recovery with little permanent damage. The ultimate piercing perhaps!

Life is full of hazards; enjoy every day when one doesn't befall you (says the man who ruptured something in his back picking up a Trewhella monkey winch yesterday and this morning accidentally came downstairs on his arse).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back to Utt61, don't weld circular saw baldes. A lecturer at college who'd been an acident inspector had photos of such event. One pice was found two hundred yards away, fortunatley it had ben stopped, just, by a large oak tree.

Now that reminds me of the day in the school workshop (it was quite a long time ago) when someone wound a job into the surface grinder without engaging the magnetic chuck first. The workpiece was propelled the length of the building and ended up sitcking out of the end wall. A sobering experience, especially for those who felt and heard it whistle past! Fortunately there were no injuries.

Somehow I can't imagine youngsters today be allowed near some of the machinery we used to use. And there were no machine guards then (at least I don't remember ever using them if there were)!

I have found out today that when replacing a Dingo rear deck ,single handed,it is a good idea to move ones finger faster than I did!

Was it yours at A&E that nearly bit us both when it had shifted on the roller coaster track

...like arkwrights till :D

Never trust young children, they can be soooooooo sneeky. We had a flood in the childrens toilets at work today, I mopped up and removed the pipes under the sink to find 5 pencils stuffed down the plug hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BA apprentice workshop at Cranebank had a cabinet of horrors. One was a drill stuck in a piece of work, with about two feet of hair attached. That's got to have made the eyes water.

One Number One Son learnt at about six years old. Don't take plugs out of the wall with a screwdriver, scared the **** out of his mother, and the arc went half way through the shaft of Stanley posidrive screwdriver!

• 2 weeks later...

I was planning to keep quiet about this, but since the word recently got out (thanks, Huey :n00b: ) -

When unloading a vehicle which you know you will shortly be moving, do not lean items against said vehicle especially where they cannot be seen.

I unloaded new jeep canvas side doors and other bits from back of 4x4 having just offloaded newly collected jeep from trailer. I took one handful of stuff, got distracted, then returned later and shunted backwards and forwards on the shingle drive to park trailer - only to discover the doors (which I had leant against the truck) had been driven over about 6 times, the stone cutting the canvas and clear screen like loads of sharp knives, and bent the metal frame.

Now awaiting a pair of new doors :blush: